Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

lumia 920 unlock code

D_03
Accepted Solution

lumia 920 unlock code

I bought a sim free lumia 920 from phones4u yesterday.Then I come back home , insert my sim card then it shows this: This SIM card can only be used on specific networks. Contact your customer service centre for the unlock code.

Why? Is it means I have to use EE even my lumia 920 is a sim free version?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: lumia 920 unlock code

Phones 4U state on their website that the sim free Lumia's they are selling can only be used on EE/Orange/T-mobile, they should have told you that when you bought it.

Only the network that it is locked to can issue unlock codes, if that is a problem you need to take it up with P4U.
Please use plain text.
D_03

Thank you for your help.:smileysad:

DAMN IT! :crying:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrjohnlewis

Please do let us know how you get on.

I would love to get an unlocked Lumia 920, like right now! It's so frustrating that this isn't possible in the UK yet.

(Take my money Nokia!)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
McCrunch

When you say T-Mobile, does this include T-Mobile USA?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

McCrunch wrote:
When you say T-Mobile, does this include T-Mobile USA?

Not at this time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

mrjohnlewis wrote:

Please do let us know how you get on.

I would love to get an unlocked Lumia 920, like right now! It's so frustrating that this isn't possible in the UK yet.

(Take my money Nokia!)

This.

I know that with orange, aftere 3 months, you can request a unlock code for around £20. i think i might do it that way, or its htc for me.

I litterally am going to my bank this week and withdrawing the money. i want to give it to nokia, i really do, but they have made it so akward.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
McCrunch

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know if there are any unlocked 920 devices online that are compatible with T-Mobile USA's network? I have looked on other sites such as GSMnation and have found some 920s there.

http://www.gsmnation.com/phonefinder?brand=nokia
That's the link you just need to click windows as the OS.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

[ Edited ]

I do have a 920 and do use the TMO USA network.

I have to say, I get quite a bit of the 1900mhz HSPA network.

otherwise you will get a lot of Edge...but that still works very well for your standard email and twitter and would guess that the FB works fine too, but I do not use that. only hang when you are not on wifi and H is when you are trying to download large files in the email or on the IE with the standard web page setting on.

other than that...

I have used www.welectronics.com to get some devices out of Chicago and had them shipped to ca. they are credible and do have factory unlocked equipment, which would be better than getting an ATT version and unlocking it as I believe the freqs are different in the exclusive device.

be sure to mention ceroberts75 from the maemo boards and talk to luis. I would call, not email to do that. he may give you a few bucks off. :smileywink:

hope that helps.

EDIT:  just to make note, i am not compensated by them in any way for that notice, only the kudos shared for sharing a viable, reliable source i have used while here on the board am i compensated.  :smileyhappy:

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
russellh

[ Edited ]

I also bought a 920 from phones 4u yesterday same thing locked to ee so i took it stright back this morning, i am on o2 and do not want to renew my contract, Nokia are good at making phones but bad at making business. they have this exclusivity deal with ee which means they are losing thousands of sales.

Search the net, loads want to buy a 920 but few want to pay ee an unknown provider stupidly high ammounts of money for redickuosly small ammounts of data.

Russell.

Moderator's notes: Irrelevant parts of the post removed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vardig

If you buy a Phones4u phone, call EE and as for it to be unlocked.....it will cost £20.

hope that helps :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrjohnlewis

Vardig wrote:

If you buy a Phones4u phone, call EE and as for it to be unlocked.....it will cost £20.

hope that helps :smileywink:

Really!? I thought you had to be a customer of EE for at least three months before they would unlock the phone?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gwc_333

I seem to be having the same issue, the surprising thing is P4U store staff had no idea!  I've called EE and they won't unlock the phone unless it's been on their network for 3 months and at a cost of £24

How can they do this? Surely there must be a legal get out of this?  My contract is with P4U and I have no affiliation to EE, but my phone is somehow locked to them an unusable - NOT FAIR.

Nokia are going to lose a lot of customers over this, and I really don't think they are in a position to be selective about customers.

Consumers want choices - taking this away from individuals (which is what WP8 is about) is only going to cause bad publicity for both EE and Nokia

At the end of the day I am going to have to take the phone back for a full refund - which isn't what I want to do :-(

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

gwc_333 wrote:

How can they do this? Surely there must be a legal get out of this?  My contract is with P4U and I have no affiliation to EE, but my phone is somehow locked to them an unusable - NOT FAIR.

Phones4U are a retailer that sells phones and acts as a middle man between the networks and customers. They don't operate a network of their own. So in the case of the Lumia 920, Phones4U are selling it as an EE locked phone. This means that there isn't a "legal get out" and the phone can only be used on the EE network (T-Mobile & Orange).

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I'm surprised that P4U would sell it to someone without telling them it is locked?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gwc_333

Just adding when I spoke to EE they said just take it to a high street unlocker and get it unlocked - great customer care - right there!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
halobolola

gwc_333 wrote:

I seem to be having the same issue, the surprising thing is P4U store staff had no idea!  I've called EE and they won't unlock the phone unless it's been on their network for 3 months and at a cost of £24

Nokia are going to lose a lot of customers over this, and I really don't think they are in a position to be selective about customers.

Consumers want choices - taking this away from individuals (which is what WP8 is about) is only going to cause bad publicity for both EE and Nokia

At the end of the day I am going to have to take the phone back for a full refund - which isn't what I want to do :-(

A copy of the web chat i had from orange

Halobolola: would i be able to get orange to unlock my mobile
Andrew: Normally the phone you get will be unlocked only.
Andrew: But you need to confirm this from  phones 4 u only whether the phone is unlocked or not.
Halobolola: all the nokia 920's are locked to the EE umbrella
Halobolola: and they are locked to ee
Andrew: No worries.
Andrew: You can visit your nearest Orange store and they will do the need full for you.
Halobolola: okay, im assuming the ee shops can do this, as there are no orange shops around me
Halobolola: any idea on the cost of the unlock?
Andrew: Yes, you can visit EE store as well.
Andrew:As per my information this will cost you £20.42.

So from that you can infer that you do not need to be with them for a certain amount of time.

(I did tell him i am with vodafone)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gwc_333

I went to 2 EE stores today, they said they can't unlock it to take it back to P4U and they looked equally as confused as everyone else.  I went to P4U and they said call EE.  

To be fair P4U have said they will give me a full refund, which is more than can be said for EE and little or no help from Nokia

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xma1e

All EE phones are locked to their network regardless of Phone4U's normal practises. I had then test in store. I signed to EE because it was a better deal than my correct O2, I've been told I can unlock after 30 days.

I agree with the sentiment that Nokia is losing business due to the silly exclusivity deals which are never in favour of the consumer.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ladymay21

I'm having the same problem. Bought a sim free phone but not told it was locked to EE.  Contacted T Mobile (my network provider) who said they would unlock it but the highest model they can do at the moment is the 800.  Tried EE and they are not interested as I did not buy the phone from them.  Back to Phones4U but they cannot help as they do not supply unlock codes.  Tried Nokia asking where to get an unlock code to be told only EE

Please use plain text.