Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

lumia 920 warranty

Contributor
lopium

lumia 920 warranty

Hi guys,

I just bought recently a phone from ebay, received it, working perfect, but when I bought it the guy told me that the phone was still under warranty, and it's true, when I check the EMEI number on nokia support it tells me that the phone is still under warranty.

The problem is he didn't gave me the proof of purchase for the phone so I don't how to proove nokia that I actually bought this phone from someone as a second hand.

Will the device still be covered if anything happens?

if not how could this guy get a proof from nokia or anything that will proove the purchase?

thnaks for your help.

k.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

Re: lumia 920 warranty

You purchased it from "EBAY". I wonder why people keeps asking for warranty after purchasing from an "Unauthorised" reseller.

I have heard that in the UK this is an acceptable purchase? (Please correct me if I'm wrong). In the majority of other parts of the world, it is not.

The warranty is not transferrable by the way.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Additionally, the warranty would only be valid in the original country of purchase except in Europe where warranties are valid Europe wide. So, even if you had the proof of purchase but if it happens to be from another country or region in the case of Europe, then the warranty would not be valid where you are anyway. The perils of purchasing from ebay.

Please use plain text.
Professor
caitlin1759

The European warranty is not invalidated due to resale. It starts from the date of sale to the first end user and is not extended or otherwise affected by a subsequent resale. If OP is in Europe he needs the original proof of purchase from the original buyer and if he can get that from the seller the warranty will have the unexpired period from tthe original purchase date.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cherry1988

I got my Lumia 920 from "EBAY" too.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lopium

hi guys,

thanks for the answers.

The guy had it as a gifr from a family member who bought it in the UK.

I already knew that the warranty would not avoid if buyng it from someone else.

So basically my only option is to get this original proof of purchase from him, if he can't give it to me then my lumia wont be cover anymore right?

cheers

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Based on my experience in the UK, in the last 11 years I have never been asked by a NCP to show proof of purchase. They check the IMEI in the database and if it is valid there are no further questions. Having the original proof of purchase is always recommended though, just in case.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Sometimes with new models, the care points may not ask for proof of purchase because the phones are obviously still under warranty. The 920 was only released end of 2012 and having been bought in the UK will have a 2 year warranty. No harm trying. Most they can do is send you away to get the proof of purchase first.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

That is great. Never thought Nokia UK is very lenient when it comes to warranties.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

93tid wrote:

Based on my experience in the UK, in the last 11 years I have never been asked by a NCP to show proof of purchase. They check the IMEI in the database and if it is valid there are no further questions. Having the original proof of purchase is always recommended though, just in case.

That has also been my experience in the UK over recent years. The only exception is when a lock code is forgotten, they are supposed to ask for proof of purchase to ensure you are the owner, not a thief. 

Please use plain text.