Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

micro SD Card for Nokia Lumia 1020

zedireland

micro SD Card for Nokia Lumia 1020

I work in a photo printing lab and over the years technology has changed in many different ways. Customers have moved from the old film cameras to digital cameras. But now they are moving from digital cameras to phone cameras. This move is because of the improved image quality.

I was very excited to hear of Nokias new release the Lumia1020. The image quality of the 1020 has far surpassed anything else on the market. This was the phone that I've been waiting for.

But as I work in a photo lab and deal with many customers with many different types of camera phones. I see the difficulties most of them have with printing a few pictures. Bluetooth is very slow. Using a cable works only 5% of the time. infrared doesn't work anymore on most of the new machines.

But 50% of the phones use SD CARDS. Its simple, fast and the most efficient way of printing your images.

The phone that I've been waiting for, the Nokia Lumia1020, does Not use SD CARD. I hope I've received the wrong information about this phone. For me it is essential to actually print the photographs that i take. And without the use of an SD CARD i would find it difficult to do this.

If the Nokia lumia 1020 specifications are correct. Then I'll have to wait a little bit longer to upgrade my phone. If anything happens to my Nokia N8. I'll have some serious decisions to make.

Can anyone prove me wrong on the Nokia lumia 1020 specifications?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: micro SD Card for Nokia Lumia 1020

You read the specs correct there is no micro sd support.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Raeon

[ Edited ]

zedireland said:

"The phone that I've been waiting for, the Nokia Lumia1020"

Me too, however, I would also like to add that I am a bit disappointed that it wont allow for sd card storage.

I hope that Nokia designs for SD storage in their phablet which Im planning to buy too, and all their higher end phone/phablet lines.

Its strange that the lower end Nokia models have SD support but not thier higher end models why not make more people happy more eeasy storage solutions?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Not strange at all that lower end support sd .Built in memory vs sd card is all cost.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
garym11

Why is an SD card simple, fast and the most efficient way of printing your images? Do you say this because you want to pull the card and read it?  Most memory cards are mounted internally which requires removing the back cover and in most instances the battery.

I can upload my pictures to skydrive and share them with anyone to view, download and print much faster. Don't know where you got the 5% on USB cable connection but that is wrong. Connect the phone, transger the photos to a USB stick and you are done. It works every time. Right now I can print pictures via WiFi directly from my phone to my Brother phone.

Removing a memory card to transger data is old school. You do not need an SD card to print pictures.

Please use plain text.
Raeon

[ Edited ]

said:

"Not strange at all that lower end support sd .Built in memory vs sd card is all cost."

I still would say that a more expensive line should be worth the cost since as customers we are paying a premium for it. So although it is "all cost" customers deserve more since we are paying more.

said:

"Most memory cards are mounted internally which requires removing the back cover and in most instances the battery."

If Nokia would put their minds to it Im confident that their clever engineers would be able to provide a hot swapable solution somewhere externally at the same time make it look good and not interfere with usage ie needing to take battery out. Woulnt this just showcase another of Nokia's engineering prowess?

"I can upload my pictures to skydrive..."

If you were to take many hidef pix, movies etc, how long would it take to upload to skydrive as compared to transfering an sd card onto your pc? Or even putting in a blank memory card a making immediately available huge numbers of GB?

"Removing a memory card to transger data is old school"

I have to go the other direction. Adding memory card support only adds more fuctionality to the phone. Adds more room to install apps, add more room to store music, vids that you can keep with you. Adds the ability to add virtually unlimited storage to your phone. And dont forget the cost of data from your network provider when your away from your wifi.

Scenario I like to have my phone stocked with the apps I like. Now this uses some space. I have pics and vids of nice memeories I like to keep with me on the phone and I like to keep a lot with me thus reducing the fixed storage of the phone. If Im outside taking pictures/vids, the more I take the less my avaliable storage becomes. Isnt it a very practicle thing to do that I whip out a memory card and viola 64GB of storage without needing to shut off the phone.

Now isnt that a big plus? If more space does not equal a plus then why would MS charge you more for more skydrive space? Its because its a premium. You might say "how on earth are you gona use all that space on the phone and on skydrive?" Years ago people also thought 200GB was massive for a HDD. You will find a way to use it. And if you cant use that space others will.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jimmyy

So I already have the 1020 and assumed I can print the beautiful photos, so how do I print?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Plenty of options. You could download to your pc and print on your printer or you could go to a chemist with one of those photo printing machines and send it across using bluetooth. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
schawlaf

Lumia 1020 has 32GB of builtin memory, you can save your pics on the 7GB SkyDrive or transfer them on your computer via USB ( Dropbox instantly recognize it and uploads my pics) or send them via Bluetooth , taking out SD Card for pictures gets to cumbersome and a faulty SD Card can also mess the phone
Covering the Best Nokia has to Offer @

http://www.senseapplied.com

If you like the Solution a Kudo will be appreciated :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
joj1970

I have had an N8 for 3yrs & the 1020 for 4wks, i was waiting for ages to get the right phone as i love my N8. Unfortunately none of the new upcoming Nokia's with high end cameras' will have SD card capabilities, i would prefer this option as well & i have to say, i have been using N series phones since they first came out, however many years ago, I find the camera on the 1020 great, but the general windows OS clumsy & greatly lacking. I am persevering with it & some of the apps i have downloaded are good. But it highlights to me that Nokia make phones & know what people need from a phone & Microsoft make software/pc's & the 2, although similar, are not the same. I may well go back to my N8 yet 😞
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

really? i saw that the 1520 has microSD capabilities, and a 20MP PureView camera with Zeiss optics.

i undertstand that the learning curve can be a bit difficult, i was resistant from moving from my N8 too when i got the 920, but after time grew to love it and how it is more speedy and convenient than Symbian. just give it some more time and you will find yourself pleasantly surprised.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TheSexyBlondGuy

I agree with Raeon. I've never had, or have heard of any issues with a micro sd card, except that sometimes the phone doesn't read it. If that's the case, taking it out and re-inserting it would be the solution. Some phones of couse, will alsop not be able to read all data transfered with an sd card. Other than those two minor issues, I believe it's good to be able to have a slot for the card. Apps and large pictures take up much memory and if you don't wanna pay for cloud service as backup or don't own a computer, then this phone would not be a good choice for you. As of right now (And always have been), I'm rockin a Nokia keypad phone. This will be a big change from what I'm used to(over the past five years, 3 flips and my current one the C2-01). I do want the best picture quality out of a phone, so although I dislike that small detail of memory, I'll still buy it.

Please use plain text.
Aus6259

It doesn't support the SD card...so what...upload the pictures while you don't have access to a printer and just print directly from the internet on your desktop computer at home when you get the chance. I honestly have no problems with getting the pictures/videos off of my Lumia 1020...

Videos are obviously going to take longer than a picture to upload because of the size difference...besides which I think the 1020 more than makes up for the lack of a SD card simply because it's almost on par with a low end slr digital camera for a fraction of the price, and it's definitely got more features built into it than an slr, plus the fact that it is already fast enough as it is... I mean it plays videos faster and smoother than my desktop computer, it loads faster, it uploads faster, and it downloads faster...as long as it has service that is.

It's not worth it to be impatient over pictures/videos, hell I remember not to long ago literally everyone had to get their film developed to get their pictures and you had to wait several weeks to get your photos...just be glad you can still get your pictures and videos sooner than you would have without technology advancing this far.
Please use plain text.
Aus6259

Another thing, you can connect the Nokia Lumia to a windows PC directly and add or remove files manually from your desktop. You just need to open the folders from your computer's "My Computer" option, I did it last night to add songs and pictures from my computer to my phone.
Please use plain text.
Aus6259

Just need to know how to work a computer and how to ask the right questions of the right people online.
Please use plain text.
Aus6259

I don't know if the file reading thing works with macs'
Please use plain text.
eshiejamz

[ Edited ]

Hi Aus6259,

If you want to transfer photos and videos taken from your phone to your Mac computer, you may install the software "Nokia Photo Transfer for Mac app" that can be found here: http://www.nokia.com/ . There is also a  "Windows Phone app" from the Mac App Store which syncing of music, pictures, videos, and podcasts are possible.

Cheers! :smileywink:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mtkk

I like,the SD card for storing,videos of my,kids. I have one labeled for 2009, 2010,2011., it is disappointing not,to have,SD cards for,Nokia Lumia high end phones. I use to,have,Nokia C3 for,many years and now have Lumia 520. I am very happy,with 520 except,it,does not have a front facing camera,for,skyping. I am now considering other window phones,that DO use SD cards. I have At&T so not many options.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
paulheu

You do realize that your photos sync to your OneDrive automatically right? Can't get much easier I would think.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
kiloai

Dear Zeriland,

You still have an option.

Nokia 808 PureView.

I used this phone for about 2 years and for me is more completed than Lumia 1020.

This "prototype" comes with HDMI output and you can set the photos from 8 MP to 38 MP.

Even better... you can insert MicroSD memory card. The only problem on this phone is the OS very poor.

The battery last about 3 days on battery save mode and the body of the phone is tough. Good material.

Now I am using the Lumia 1020. But let me tell you that the "prototype" does not goes out from my mind so easily.

The only good things that I saw on Lumia 1020 is; more tech on the camera, the OS and the processor.

I am thinking buying another Nokia 808 for me and keep both. hehehe

Please use plain text.