Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia lumia 928

moose9703

nokia lumia 928

Hey, just bought a Verizon Nokia Lumia 928. Paid full price so I could use it when I go to Europe. To test it out I have a SIM card in using here in the states. I downloaded the access point app from Nokia but whenever I create a new apn and set it up with the apn and mms settings I can't activate it.. I've done it before with the 920 but every time I try to activate it on the 928 it kicks me back out to the main screen. When I go back to the settings I can see the apn I created but just says inactive.. Help please..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Re: nokia lumia 928

It is quite possible that as with the 822 which is produced specifically for Verizon these options are restricted by the firmware.

Please use plain text.
moose9703

Can't be the case, they specifically advertised this phone as a "world phone" and right now the only thing working is talk and text, data and mms are not working.. Could it be as simple as Nokia updating the access point app to support that phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]

It might very well be a "world phone" - i.e. it will work worldwide with a Verizon Sim card using Verizon settings. I suspect it might be more productive to approach Verizon on this subject.

You can check whether you have the latest version of Access Point using the shortcut from  HERE

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Pretty sure it will work fine using both data and MMS while on a Verizon SIM, even abroad. If there are firmware resrictions they are there because Verizon wants them so I duggest you go talk to them on this..

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
IDonKnow

I just chat with VZW representative, they told me it can be unlock by oversea carrier but not by them....which i think is funny...here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
VZW: Do you have an account with us now?
Me: no..
Me: but i'm planning to get the prepaid plan
VZW: What do you mean unlock the phone?
Me: I can only use that phone using the Verizon sim card right?
Me: cause the device is exclusive to Verizon..
VZW: correct
Me: So I wonder if I can use other carrier sim card with it..
Me: cause I will need it when I go to Malaysia or Singapore later
Me: which I will use local sim card in those country
VZW: We do not support unlocking phones/
Me: means the phone is useless for me?
Me: if I don't have a Verizon sim card..
VZW: Unless you are on a VZW account.  Prepaid or contract
Me: even if I have a VZW account, I still can't unlock it?
VZW: What type of phone is it?
Me: Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 928
Me: just released last week.
VZW: It can be unlocked but we do not support that.
Me: then who support it?
VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.
Me: ok then....
Me: thanks.
Me: Bye.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

Typical example of braindead support staff. As already posted several times across this forum:

Nokia supply SIM-free handsets to the networks, which then decide whether and how to lock them. Both the unlock codes and the unlock procedures are owned by the networks, not by Nokia, so any attempt by a network to refer the issue to Nokia is an outright lie. Nokia cannot do anything about unlocking a handset, it is 100% up to the network which has locked it.

The line about any other carrier having to unlock the handset is ridiculous beyond belief.

Please use plain text.
moose9703

Figured Verizon hasn't fully unlocked the phone.. I wonder if maybe Nokia can update their access point software to get it to work. I can talk and text with another SIM just having that issue with the apn. Im sure there will be a work around for it. Still a new phone just a matter of time before someone figures it out..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

moose9703 wrote:
Figured Verizon hasn't fully unlocked the phone.. I wonder if maybe Nokia can update their access point software to get it to work. I can talk and text with another SIM just having that issue with the apn. Im sure there will be a work around for it. Still a new phone just a matter of time before someone figures it out..

There is nothing wrong with Nokia's access point - it works exactly as it should on the 928. The 928 is not made to work on other networks, any service you get on another network should be considered a bonus. The 822 is not a new phone and it cannot be done on it either, so not a matter of time, because it's a matter of policy. If this functionality is so important to you I would suggest you get a different handset if you can, because there wil be no solution coming for it neither from Nokia nor from Verizon.

Please use plain text.
moose9703

Is the 822 considered a world phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of the term world phone here.

The 928 can be used worldwide, it will work fine (including MMS and data) anywhere as long as you have access to a network which supports any of the compatible frequencies.

There is nothing wrong with the phone. It does seem to have firmware restrictions in place that will not allow it to use MMS and data without a Verizon SIM. This is likely by design and as requested/required by Verizon. The 928 is a Verizon product, made by Nokia so I'd suggest you get this answered by them.. 

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

moose9703 wrote:
Is the 822 considered a world phone?

As paulheu pointed out, in Verizon's understanding a "world" phone seems to mean it should work anywhere in the world with a Verizon SIM card in it - subject to technical compatibilty with local network hardware and roaming agreements with Verizon.

Your understanding of the same term, i.e. a "world" phone should work with no restrictions with a SIM card from any network in the world, is, unfortunately, incorrect in this case.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Chrijaf

It is a "world phone" because it works on CDMA and GSM. The SIM card is unlocked but the ability to change the apn settings is disabled. This means voice and SMS will work with different SIM cards, on the other hand, mms and data won't. This is a firmware restriction (probably ruled by Verizon). We just need to wait for a software update or until Nokia does something to please their loyal customers in the US when they just used to sell unlocked phones (fully unlocked) before they came back to the wireless "deals" with the cell phone service providers
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mcasasol

I have the same issue, I am in Costa Rica, and this is the deal:

If the carrier has their SIM already equiped with all the details for the APN then it will work, if the SIM does not have that and you have to put it on the phone settings, you are screwed since there is no way to edit that on the 928, so for instance in Claro, I put the SIM in and Internet was blazing fast, with Kolbi (local and biggest provider) no luck, so I guess we need the Nokia guys to come up with a way of letting us edit the APN settings or we are bound to change to a carrier that support that functionality from within the SIM.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LatteDog

[ Edited ]

As a new Verizon subscriber with new 928 there was a "Verizon Global Support Calling Card" pamphlet included in the box with my phone.  In there it states that while roaming outside the U.S. on GSM networks with your Global Ready device you must (as a Verizon subscriber) subscribe to a Global Plan or Feature.  It also directs you to visit verizonwireless(dot)com/globaldata and verizonwireless(dot)com/tripplanner.

So yes, the Verizon SIM will work for voice and data in 205 countries while roaming but you must subscribe to Verizon's Global Plan and it is not very economical for extended visits or intense usage.

Please use plain text.
Prasad_1313

I bought lumia 928 a while ago....used it on at&t in USA as it comes unlocked....Now I am using it in India without any issues....only thing is I am unable to get the latest Amber update for lumia 928 that verizon has released. 

Anyone has any idea how to receive it. 

Phone is in India where nokia did not release 928. also phone does not have verizon sim.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Where you are and what sim you have should have no bearing on the update. You will however need the phone to have a valid and properly set up Microsoft account. Goto Settings>Phone update>Check for updates to see if it is there for you. 

Please use plain text.
Prasad_1313

Thanks for reply...however I checked in there but it says phone is up-to-date....

and phone info still shows the old version......I have a valid and properly setup microsoft account

I have also checked if there are any data restrictions...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Might be better to use wifi if possible.

Please use plain text.
Prasad_1313

I have also checked this on Wifi...any other solutions please...

Please use plain text.