Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

offline maps for wp7

Naitsabes

offline maps for wp7

Hi guys,

I got a Lumia 710 since about two weeks but somehow my offline maps don't really work. The maps application doesn't really load it, it rather looks like I can only view maps that are part of an old cach or something (only the spots that I recently viewed with a wlan connection work). Since I want to go onto a trip in one week when the maps application would come in quite handy I could use some help. Does anybody know something to fix it or is this a general bug of Nokia Maps for WP7?

Btw I use version 2.0.0.2148 of Nokia Navigation and version 1.3.10.230 for Nokia Maps which should be the current ones and yes the offline map is listed in my Nokia Navigation settings.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Re: offline maps for wp7

[ Edited ]

Hi Naitsabes,

Thank you for your post.

Nokia Drive can be used offline. Firstly you need to have the latest version of Drive which is 2.0.

Then to use Nokia Drive offline, select the menu button at the bottom right corner, then select Settings and switch Connection to Offline.
Search results may be limited in offline mode. To be able to navigate offline, you need to download maps to your phone.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Naitsabes

So Nokia Maps is not intended to work with offline maps? That's really disappointing ...
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo

Nokia drive is the Sat Nav app this works in offline mode but as has been said you need to make sure you have the map package downloaded.

Please use plain text.
zoroaster

We know that Nokia Drive work in offline mode, but why Nokia maps don't work in offline mode? It is really not understandable. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

@zoroaster

Hi,

Thank you for your first post and welcome to the forums.

The reason why is that the map data is not preloaded on the device and is streamed on as needed basis and basically it is not cached.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
zoroaster

Thank you for answer.
But my question was
Does Nokia work for an update for offline mode for Nokia Maps?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

[ Edited ]

@zoroaster

Hi, That was your question, to quote your original post "but why Nokia maps don't work in offline mode? It is really not understandable."

And the answer to this question was is in my reply to you and reiterate

"The reason why is that the map data is not preloaded on the device and is streamed on as needed basis and basically it is not cached."

As to to whether an update is being worked on to make Nokia maps offline we haven't got this information.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

Please use plain text.
Advisor
marrat

Nokia Maps on Symbian and the N9 both support offline maps. Indeed, there it's even the other way round: You download your maps in the Maps app, not in the Drive app and both apps access that shared map storage.

Given that we have full offline Maps on Symbian and N9 there should be no technical reasons to not get offline maps on Nokia Maps for Windows Phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

Offline maps work as of today (got an upgrade this morning).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
marrat

Which version is Nokia Maps now? Drive has been 2.0 and Maps was 1.3 (without offline feature).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SequoiaGrove

OH, yeah, only Nokia Drive works. At first glance Nokia Maps worked, but as I scroll far away from my current position it is just blank. Why doesnt it take data from the maps I downloaded into drive?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Kallisticker

That's the point.

What about offline navigation for pedestrians?

Even for Google Maps there's an solution to store Maps data on the device.

Very disappointing!

So many steps backwards!

Go, Nokia! You've got to get your act together!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm fully updated on my Nokia Lumia 800 with WP7. I have maps stored in Nokia Drive, and favourites syncing nicely in Maps. I understand maps cannot be downloaded to Nokia Maps.

In the next few days I am visiting two European cities and intend to use Nokia Maps on my Lumia. I need to get an idea of how much data I am likely to use walking around each day in Amsterdam and Brussels.

Can you give any guidance. I'm taking my old Symbian E71 as a backup, but I would prefer to use the Lumia. Is 30MB a day likely to be enough?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi alphagem,

Thanks for your post,

As an alternative you might consider using the E71 for calls and getting a prepaid SIM for the Lumia when you are in Amsterdam or Brussels. That way you are always reachable and your do not have to worry about internet usage on the Lumia. Prepaid SIM with Internet are available from vodafone, T-mobile, Hi, KPN and others. Probably the best would be to visit a phone shop when you get in and ask for options.

Hope this helps,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for these useful ideas Kosh.

I was really trying to get a handle on the allowance I should make for data on Nokia Maps when walking around a city. In other words, how many MB am I likely to need.My network gives guidelines on web pages and emails - but I have no idea about the data demands of Nokia Maps.

For example, would 25 - 30 MB per day be enough do you think?

Thanks for your response.

PS. The e71 has European maps pre-loaded, and has the same favourites synchronised, but of course the display is not as good as the Lumia 800, and I would prefer to use the latter.

When visiting mainland Europe before I have made very free use of Nokia Maps on the E71 because pre-loading meant I did not have to worry about data. This time is different as there is no Nokia Maps cache on the Lumia :smileysad:

Please use plain text.