Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: "Black screen during call" on 920 - Nokia Plea...

Contributor
GDATL

"Black screen during call" on 920 - Nokia Please Respond

[ Edited ]

This is apparently a very common problem with the Nokia Lumia 920 since it is well-documented with many "possible" fixes posted in many user forums concerning Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 920.

The Problem:  Whenever I place a call, the screen goes black (this is normal when the phone is held up to the face, but NOT normal if the phone is lying on a table such as when it is in speakerphone or bluetooth mode).  I presume that the proximity sensor has been activated and has turned the screen (and touch functions) off. This is a serious problem as it impedes the use of the Lumia 920 as a phone.

Serious Concerns for Business Users:  Myy Nokia Lumia 920 is useless for business purposes and I am going to have to go back to using 3 year old Samsung Focus, which still functions flawlessly.  I cannot use my Nokia Lumia 920 phone for conference calls, for voicemail, to dial an extension, and even worse -- I can't even end a call when I have finished!  The inability to end a call should have all business users re-consider using their Lumia 920 phone for any business purpose.  All the other party in a call has to do is to stay on the line and they can hear whatever conversation takes place after the call has "ended!"  That is a MAJOR security and privacy concern.  (I watch the display and if the other party hangs up, the screen returns to visibility.  If the other party does not hang up, I have to play a game of hitting the power button and then trying to "catch" the end call button which appears for a brief moment (quite a frustrating game!)

Various Posted Solutions Tried:  Here are the results of my hours of going through online communities and forums.  Thanks to all those that have taken the time to post the solution that worked for them.  Unfortunately, fo me, I tried them all and none of them worked for me:

• I do NOT use a screen protector, so that is not causing the problem.
    • I do NOT have a case on the phone, so no problem there either
    • The screen is CLEAN and clear of smudges, dust or dirt.
    • There is NO DUST apparent under the display glass near the proximity sensor.
    • Regardless, I have tried blowing to clear it of any dust that I couldn't see.
    • I have tried setting and resetting the brightness setting, but did not fix the problem.
    • I have tried turning the phone off and on, did not fix the problem.
    • I have tried soft resets, several times, but that did not fix the problem.
    • I have tried "recalibrating" the proximity sensor by powering the phone on in "normal" lighting, under a bright light and in the dark, but none of these fixed the problem.
    • I have tried shining a bright light on the proximity sensor when the screen blanked during a call, that did not fix the problem.
    • I have tried pressing together near the proximity sensor but that did not fix the problem. 
    • I have tried powering the phone off to end a call, and a few times (out of MANY trials) that worked; however, I don't want to end my calls by powering my phone off!

If there is anything else that I have NOT mentioned that has been listed on Windows Phone 8, Microsoft, Nokia and AT&T Wireless forums, well I probably have already tried that too.

Since I am now forced to use my 3 year old Samsung Focus anyway, I will return my phone for service next week (I purchased at Best Buy with Geek Squad Protection Plan). I have not heard anything that indicates that Nokia has fixed this problem, or even acknowledged it, so I am not certain that returning it for warranty service will fix the problem.  In fact, several users have noted that they did return the phone and a refurbished phone was sent to them, but they continued to experience the same problems.

Nokia, any response?  User community, any other ideas?  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDATL

Re: "Black screen during call" on 920 - Nokia Please Respond

Three updates were delivered to my Nokia 920 this afternoon:  display+touch, Nokia accessories and Nokia account.  I was hopeful that these might help fix the problem I am experiencing, but after downloading, installing and even a soft restart, no change.  Problem still exists.  Gotta send this phone back for repair, but will it fix it?  Would really like to hear from Nokia or other users as to whether or not you are experiencing this same problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

sorry to hear the problems you are experiencing. your only choice now is to perform a hard reset (Settings > About > Reset your phone). please bear in mind that this reset wipes everything, so you need to backup all your personal data to PC and/or online storage first.

Failing that, you will need to take your phone back to your point of purchase, or if they are being less than helpful, to Nokia Care for inspection: http://nokia.com/support
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
mjensen888

I feel your pain. Same problem here. About 6 weeks after I got the phone the screen started to go black during calls. This is a BIG problem as there's no way to hang up and no way to punch in any numbers to automated answering services. To "fix" the problem I vacuum the ear speaker opening at the top of the screen and then follow that up by blowing compressed air into the same opening. This has always fixed the problem but only for about a week before it happens again. What a pain! My biggest worry is that this "fix" will eventually not work anymore. At that point I plan on sending it in to Nokia Customer Care. Even that scares me as I've heard all they do is clean the sensor of dust and the same issue crops up again a few days/weeks later.

I'm just curious how others having this problem carry their phones. I carry mine in my pocket. Could it be that trace amounts of lint, fuzz, dust, etc. in my pocket is getting inside the phone and covering the proximity sensor? I even tried covering the ear speaker and ear bud jack openings with tape to see if that would keep dust from entering but the problem re-emerged again after only 1 week. I can only surmise that the dust must be entering around the edge of the screen.

When I first got this phone I was enamoured with it but this issue has really started to wear on me. Nokia please fix this problem. Maybe a firmware update? Maybe an option to turn off the proximity sensor? HELP!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

I too have this problem on my 920 but it only started getting very frequent after a hard reset(?). I'll be taking it in soon to a NCC for them to look at. A mobile phone tech I know showed me what the prob with these sensors are and they can do some sort of "fix" on it. Hope he's right.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDATL

What will the hard reset do to fix this problem?  Interesting to see that someone else (below) found that the problem started after a hard reset - would that just be a coincidence?

Please use plain text.
mjensen888

Come to think of it, my problems started shortly after a hard reset as well. I was playing with the Nokia City Lens app when the phone locked up on me. I had to do a hard reset. Not long after that the "black screen during calls" problem started.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDATL

Last Thursday, I vacuumed the phone around the earpiece and proximity sensor.  Despite the fact that I could see nothing in there (no duste, smudges, etc), after vacuuming, the proximity sensor seemed to work fine...for about 4-5 days.  Now it is back to having problems again.  This is not an acceptable solution!

Please use plain text.
Professor
KennyKB

The primary suspect is a dust problem due to improper seal. Unfortunately this cannot be fixed. Blowing and vacuuming only works for some time and may totally fail when more dust builds up inside. The only permanent solution is to get your phone exchanged. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDATL

Just an update to say that the latest Nokia Lumia Software update has fixed this problem completely.  The release inotes indicate that therer were changes to the proximty sensor and I am guessing that the sensitivity has been reduced.  Regardless, the problem so far (it's been maybe a 10-14 days?)  seems to be fixed and I am very pleased with my Lumia 920 again!!  (Thanks Nokia!)

Please use plain text.
dacke666

ok, so you say that this update fix this?? this makes me happy :smileyhappy: only wait then...
Please use plain text.
dnlyko

A software update is not the solution.

Dust will still enter the device.

Nokia needs to recall the 920 and or replace defective units with a properly sealed unit.

Nokia, if you are listening, I am going to the MS store to look at the HTC and Samsung models.  Which one should I get?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDATL

[ Edited ]

Maybe a software isn't permanent, but I CAN say with certainty that the software update fixed the problem and it has been 3 weeks or so and it works perfectly.  Vacuuming the dust out only worked for 2-3 days or not at all.  So far, I can only give a positive report on the software update for me!

Please use plain text.
HaithamTaib

Hello

I have the same experience here, which really extremely disturbing and as mentioned in your article makes the phone useless…

Please note that I have made a hard reset to the phone and went through reinstalling all my apps and wasted may hours to do it, but at the end the problem was not fixed at all, so a Hard reset is not a solution for this problem…

I hope that future updates may solve this…

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

As previously suggested, the most common cause of this is the obstruction of the proximity sensor by either a screen protector, phone case or dust. The proximity sensor is at the top right of the display, next to the front camera and just above the "N" in "Nokia". You will see it if you hold it up to the light . If this sensor is obstructed in any way, the phone thinks it is being help up to your face and locks the display. 

Please use plain text.
HaithamTaib

Hello
I have the same experience here, which really extremely disturbing and as mentioned in your article makes the phone useless…
Please note that I have made a hard reset to the phone and went through reinstalling all my apps and wasted may hours to do it, but at the end the problem was not fixed at all, so a Hard reset is not a solution for this problem…
I hope that future updates may solve this…
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Hard reset and updates will not solve this if it is caused by an physical obstruction. If you have a case or a screen protector, remove them. Have a look at the sensor, if there is dust underneath, you need to have it removed by blowing through the earphone socket if that doesn't work, your local Nokia Care Point might help.

Please use plain text.
SuriSai

I have a 2 month old Nokia 920. Of late had the same problem of Screen blanking during a call. And it does not come back sometimes. Disconnecting the call becomes a problem. I tried blowing breath, vaccum and all such ideas posted here and elsewhere. Sometimes, the proximity sensor does not detect at all. In such cases, when in call other options get selected. Finally I downloaded Nokia Care Suite v5. Then I connected my mobile put the same in test mode under product support tool Then I selected the proximity sensor test. There is also an  option to calibrate the sensor. Tried it. Just one day after this process. But phone seems to work fine. TRY THIS OPTION AT YOUR RISK.  YOU MAY LOSE YOUR PHONE FUNCTIONALITY.

I tried this in despair and frustration.

So be careful

BTW: the phone has the latest update. 

Please use plain text.
SuriSai

Just a continuation of my earlier. I am just wondering if the caliberation can be done by reducing the prox. sensitity. That is the zero level should be with a light transparent sheet already placed above the sensor. Just a thought will think more and give it a try if the problem persists. ANYWAY AS IN MY EARLIER POST: IF YOU TRY THIS, IT IS AT YOUR RISK
Please use plain text.
SuriSai

PLS DONT TRY THIS. IT has failed again. Same problem
Please use plain text.