Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: "Tellme" speek feature lauches for no reason, ...

Rudipides

"Tellme" speek feature lauches for no reason, plus the buttons on the glass dont work sometimes.

Nokia LUmia 900 - Cyan

I love the phone except for what has got to be a defect in my phone.

Almost everytime when Im playing a game, the Microsoft "Tellme" speech function pops on wanting me to speak a command, etc.  It wont go away without hitting the power button.  And even that sometimes doesn't free it up.  I've tested it on several different apps and the same thing.  I can start a game and set the phone down and wait a couple of seconds and POP the speech thing opens again.  And the buttons at the bottom of the phone sometimes does not work either and the only way i can back out of an app is to press the Power button and get out that way.

I'm taking the phone back to the AT&T and getting an exchange.  Anyone else having this issue?

PS:  I reset the phone and that did not help.

Rudipides

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jward

Re: "Tellme" speek feature lauches for no reason, plus the buttons on the glass dont work

I am having the same exact problem and it makes the phone unusable when its happening. I am pretty sure its hardware based. Because once the phone gets into the "mood" of doing it a lot, even rebooting it wont solve the issue because it pops back up as soon as you get to the lock screen. Other times its totally fine. Trying to swap mine but everyone's backordered for a month now :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Rudipides

Re: "Tellme" speek feature lauches for no reason, plus the buttons on the glass dont work

I took my phone back to the AT&T store and swapped it out with a new one and everything seems to be working just fine!  Im guessing the problem was hardware, most likely something to do with the touchscreen.

Rudipides

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Breaker119

Exchanged mine today at the store only to find tonight that my replacement has the same problem.  I'll try again in a few days when the inventory may have cycled.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking into this and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
djfrenzy

This issue is related to another thread I've posted as well. /t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-900-Microsoft-Tell-Me-amp-Music-Playing-Defect/td-p/1379995

Please use plain text.
Advisor
djfrenzy

Rudi is right it's hardware. An update restore didn't fix anything. I'm going to try my final exchange tomorrow if any of the stores carry it. If not, I'm trading it for a non Lumia 900. Kudos to those who got lucky on getting a defect free Lumia 900 with the addition of the $100 credit.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
djfrenzy

I'm surprised not much people are reporting this when some of have continued to see this after an exchange. I'm getting another exchange tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiL

Yeah, happened for me too :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
kitron

Same thing happens to me and my coworker. This also related to /t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Issue-with-nokia-lumia-900-touch-capacitive-buttons/td-p/1375977

Once you play any audio through the speaker (music, game audio, call, etc) the capacitive buttons go crazy.

Back button acts up, brings up task switcher

Start button gets pressed by itself and launches TellMe

When can we expect a response on this because so far this phone is a joke?  Between this, camera issue and vibrate rattle I have a **bleep** phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

If you have the vibrate rattle, go and exchange your phone immediately, it's obviously a hardware issue so nothing to wait for from Nokia. If you get lucky with the replacement (test if you can in store) you might get your other issues resolved as well.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
heatherdh

I have the tellme issue as well. Aside from that I love my phone! I hope Nokia resolves this issue soon. A temporary workaround I've found while playing games, if you press the corner ? Question mark key when the tell me pops up and wait about five to ten seconds it will either go away on its own, or the keys will become responsive again and you can back out of it and return to your game. It is inconvenient but i find it less inconvenient than using the power button or restarting the phone.
Please use plain text.
Cyberduk

I have the same problem with Tellme and Bing search opening on its own, but mine happens during music, games, videos and anything else that plays from the speaker. The quickest way I've found to close it is to speak "cancel". I don't agree that it's a hardware problem though. I think it's a sound/speech recongnition problem with the software, but it won't auto-disable the feature when the phone is performing another function like playing music. Come on Nokia, you need to get on Microsoft to fix this fast. More and more people are starting to complain about it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ontologie

Hi!

Same disturbing problem here.

Tellme get activated when i'm messaging or when i'm playing a game.

It appends more often when i'm connected to a wifi. Disactivating this wifi also help to not getting it to pop anytime.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
CRFale

Currently I don't believe that anyone that has sent their phone in for repairs or replacement has had the issue with the touch buttons fixed. A few of the members of this forum have determined a fix for the issue but from what I have read Nokia has yet to implement something similar to fix the issue so that means people are still having the issue when they get their phones back or a new phone.

Basically, what causes the issue is that there is interference from the speaker magnet that causes the buttons to be unresponsive or act on their own. This issue can be fixed but Nokia will not allow me to post it on the forum because it technically means voiding your warranty. Hopefully, they will take a look at what it takes to fix this issue instead of just deleting and ignoring the posts of people that have found the answer.

I used to have the issue every time I watched a video, played a game or even just surfing online. I applied this fix last night and have not had the issue once since then and I watched a couple hours of video, sat through an hour long conference call which I also sent texts during, and played online.

Having this problem fixed makes it feel like a new phone and so much more responsive! I will give it a few more days of testing and then I will be putting together a video, an instructable and an email into Nokia support so hopefully everyone can get this issue fixed!

If you have any questions about this please feel free to message me!
Please use plain text.
godchuanz

[ Edited ]

Hi...

I just got my phone back from Nokia Care and it's exhibiting this problem. I originally sent it in because of a "lines on screen" problem. It came back with a new display, with a perfectly fine looking display. But Microsoft TellMe keeps coming up randomly during phone use! Sometimes the Bing Search too.

I had thought maybe it was my hand accidentally touching it without me realising, but I did a few experiments and found out that Tellme comes up on its own even when i place the phone flat on the table and touch only the middle portion of the screen carefully with two fingers. It appears to happen much more frequently if I touch it repeatedly within a short period of time, e.g. during messaging.

This is seriously irritating, and if I'm gonna send it in again, it's gonna be wasting a lot of time going to and fro Nokia Care Center. There also seems to be no guarantee that the new/repaired phone I get back will be free from this issue... Now I'm regretting sending the phone in. Seeing lines overlaid on all my pictures is a better idea than having Tellme/Bing constantly intruding my life when I don't need it.

Please, Nokia, at least let the users know that you are aware of this problem, and advise us what can be done about it. Pretending this is not your problem isn't gonna make it go away. It will, however, make your supporters go away.

Please use plain text.
godchuanz

I just got my phone back from Nokia Care AGAIN. They claim that it was a software problem, and flashed my phone to "fix it".

Within the first minute of use, the problem appears... RIDICULOUS! An utter complete disregard to the description that was written right there on the job order. And the "repair" took more than a week, and I had to make two trips down to Nokia Care Center.
Please use plain text.
Marwo

Re: "Tellme" speek feature lauches for no reason, plus the buttons on the glass dont work sometimes.

I have the same problem with my Lumia 900.

Therefore I just called for 1,29€/min to the Nokia support team. They advised me to first deactivy in the seetings the speech recognition and the "erleichterte Bedienung"(=easier Usage). Both was deactivied at me already before.

After consulation with her collegues, Nokia support team called me back and told, that the problem must be related to an app installed on the phone.... . They tell me to ask Microsoft support for assistance to identify which of my apps would frequently activy microsoft tellme, despite that speech recognition is switched off.

Than I checked for microsoft support team and found at "answers.microsoft.com" that the community moderator (so called "MVP - Microsoft Most Valued Professional") that one should contact Nokia Care who can assist with hardware related issues like this one.... :smileyhappy:. See: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wpapps/nokia-lumia-900-tellme-screen-keeps-pop... . Thus Nokia says its Microsoft, Microsoft says it Nokia ... ! I 

I am going to ask Microsoft now based on Nokias response. Gonna see what they will say ....

Please use plain text.