Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: sync email (lumia 920) prefers datatransfer vi...

ZiggyS

sync email (lumia 920) prefers datatransfer via provider in stead of wifi

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a (sim lock free: so no provider issued software) Lumia 920, and got a bit of a shock receiving my latest provider bill. I'm supposed to have used about 20 MB data using cellular data connection (from here on CDC)! Since I don't have an internet deal with my cellular provider, this has been a bit of an expensive surprise.

I've set my lumia to NOT use CDC and set wi-fi ON, and I know for sure not to have have used internet out of range of a wi-fi connection. So where does the 20 MB come from?

I know now, but I'm not sure why:

e-mail sync uses CDC, not wi-fi, even though windowsphone.com says it'll prefer wifi over CDC. Then why is it ignoring my settings?

Browsing through all setting options I decided to turn my cell to 2G. Know what? I couldn't sync email (hotmail, exchange, etc) at all anymore! The error I received said that I didn't have CDC (I told my phone that I knew that because I turned CDC off... no response :smileysad:)

Solution to that was to disable wi-fi, go back to start and go back and enable wi-fi.

But the question remains: why does the lumia 920 use or prefer cdc over wi-fi for syncing emeails, even though I've turned cdc off???

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Re: sync email (lumia 920) prefers datatransfer via provider in stead of wifi

It does not prefer Cellular data over Wi-Fi, but will disconnect from Wi-Fi when under lockscreen and not connected to a charger. This is well documented behaviour.

The Portico update currently rolling out for WP8 devices will have an option to keep Wi-Fi on when under lockscreen which should resolve your issue..

---

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.