Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.
Reply

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32
Accepted Solution

workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

OK so I bought a Lumia 800 on a 2 year contract from Three (UK) without doing my homework. (All smartphones tether, right? :smileyhappy:

 

Having realised my mistake I should have taken it straight back and swapped it for something else which supports tethering, but foolishly didn't,  as I was reading that a tethering s/w update will be out early in 2012. So I hung onto it.

 

Now it's finally dawning on me there ain't no tethering update, I've screwed up big time and need to find another way to get mobile broadband for my laptop. I could buy a dongle, but it grieves me that I have already signed up to this Three 'all you can eat' data plan which is sitting there going to waste.

 

Now for slightly more than the dongle, I could purchase a PAYG Nokia C2-01 from Three. My idea is to get that and put my contract Three sim into it and use it as a USB modem from the laptop (*99#).

 

Can anyone forsee any problems doing this? I'm assuming the PAYG phone will just work with my contract sim as they are both from the same company, and of course I'm assuming that the C2-01 does function as a modem (this is the mistake I made with the Lumia!!).

 

If this works then long-term it's cheaper than paying for a separate data dongle.

 

thanks,

 

Please use plain text.
Professor
Posts: 302

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Yeah I read that article and many others.  I have been 'patient' for 2 months now but I need to be able to work remotely and can't really mess about any longer. As I said, I might end up getting a dongle but I'm wondering whether my idea posted previously will work. If Nokia ever bring out this tethering update (or app or whatever it is)  I'll consider that a bonus.

 

 

Can anyone answer the original question?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid
Posts: 3,185

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

 

I don't have a C2-01, based on the spec sheet there should be no problem to use it that way. I do not see why your SIM card would not work either, after all it's all 3.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Thanks for that. For 50 quid it might be worth a punt :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid
Posts: 3,185

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
desiny
Posts: 1

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

is it possible to access the internet via a usb cable?

 

i am able to do this on my old iphone 3gs, so it stands to reason that it is possible on the new nokia wp7 phones?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
masterpeura
Posts: 100

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

I also assumed it supported tethering, but noo, I wanted to study a little before my exams, but wasn't able to do so with my laptop...
Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher
Posts: 179

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Tethering is coming.
Nokia have said that tethering for Lumia phones will be featured in the next OS update from Microsoft (Tango) exepected April/May.
Please use plain text.
Sage
newneotoo
Posts: 140

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Mango supports tethering, this is a Nokia thing.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sachi2112
Posts: 16

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

But OS update is also OEM dependent so in future Tango update they will add tethering
Please use plain text.
Contributor
stivoberlin
Posts: 8

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Solved thread ? Who thinks the problem is solved ? Better then write : Buy yourself another phone !!!
I have a Lumia 800 and I carry with me a second phone with me all the time. Because the Lumia 800 finish the day at 6pm and because it has no tethering ...
The coming update 12070 will NOT activate tethering ... So i will have to sait 2-3 more months ... If Nokia will catch up with competitors they really have to Wake up !!!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

As the originator of this thread I have to point out that my original question _was_ answered but not by 'kevgallacher'. He answered a different question entirely, so how did his post get marked as the solution to my question? If he did this himself then I find this rather high-handed. It was '93tid' who actually answered the **question I posted** in reply #3.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid
Posts: 3,185

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?


1390272 wrote:

As the originator of this thread I have to point out that my original question _was_ answered but not by 'kevgallacher'. He answered a different question entirely, so how did his post get marked as the solution to my question? If he did this himself then I find this rather high-handed. It was '93tid' who actually answered the **question I posted** in reply #3.


The way the forum works is that only the person who started the thread can mark a post as a solution, so kevgallacher could not do that himself.

 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

 


93tid wrote:

1390272 wrote:

As the originator of this thread I have to point out that my original question _was_ answered but not by 'kevgallacher'. He answered a different question entirely, so how did his post get marked as the solution to my question? If he did this himself then I find this rather high-handed. It was '93tid' who actually answered the **question I posted** in reply #3.


The way the forum works is that only the person who started the thread can mark a post as a solution, so kevgallacher could not do that himself.

 


Well I certainly did not mark 'kevgallacher''s reply as the solution so it *must* have been someone else!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
1390272
Posts: 32

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?


1390272 wrote:

 


93tid wrote:

1390272 wrote:

As the originator of this thread I have to point out that my original question _was_ answered but not by 'kevgallacher'. He answered a different question entirely, so how did his post get marked as the solution to my question? If he did this himself then I find this rather high-handed. It was '93tid' who actually answered the **question I posted** in reply #3.


The way the forum works is that only the person who started the thread can mark a post as a solution, so kevgallacher could not do that himself.

 


Well I certainly did not mark 'kevgallacher''s reply as the solution so it *must* have been someone else!


[.... I should add as clarification that I did mark '93tid's post as the solution ...]

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid
Posts: 3,185

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?


1390272 wrote:

[.... I should add as clarification that I did mark '93tid's post as the solution ...]

I'm not bothered either way, however if you feel strongly about it you should write to one of the mods to look into it. No one should be marking posts as solutions except the originator of the thread.

 

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevgallacher
Posts: 179

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

I did not mark my post as the answer, and I don't know how if it is possible for anyone other than OP/mods to do that. it must have just been a mistake by a mod.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Posts: 64

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?

Never mind the "solved" spat. Nokia: instead of worrying about that please let us know if and when you are going to sort out tethering? As a company you do well to provide these boards but then seem to be too arrogant to provide official answers. Thus driving away customers you really cannot afford to continue losing.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid
Posts: 3,185

Re: workable solution to Lumia 800 no tethering?


jtwoodfield wrote:
please let us know if and when you are going to sort out tethering?

 

As already posted in several other threads within this section: Yes, it will be sorted by a software update via Zune. When, not announced officially, I would guess not too long after the 900 and 610 are released, if not before that.

Please use plain text.