Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Accessing contact details on PC

Contributor
SAMPSONNN
Accepted Solution

Accessing contact details on PC

Hi all,

I have a Nokia 6230i and PC Suite 7.1.180.94. Have backed up phone contacts to a file on my PC (My documents) but cannot work out how to access these contacts ON THE PC and edit them (without having ny phone connected  (using bluetooth)). Any ideas welcome please.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Why not try the Nokia Suite ? Connect the phone once..then SYNC the contacts ..Then you can access / edit the contacts even when the phone is not connected ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SAMPSONNN

Thanks for the quick response. Aplogies if I am being thick but is the "Nokia Suite" that you linked any different from the NOKIA PC SUITE  VERSION 7.1.180.94 that I mentioned?

Also, I got the impression, again probably wrong, that doing a sync would take the contacts into MS Outlook whereas I wanted them to go into a document on my PC (which I ASSUME happended as the process using the 

NOKIA PC SUITE  VERSION 7.1.180.94 seemed to satisfactorily complete) but I cannot access the contacts info within the document.

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Yes both the Applications are different ..

Go to Nokia Suite-->Tools-->Options-->Contacts ..and select 'Do not Sync' under 'Sync with Contacts application' and it will not sync them with MS Outlook ..Refer the Attachment

..and if you still wish to continue using the PC Suite.. Connect the phone and in the PC Suite open contacts-->.. select all then go to File-->Export and it will get saved as a .csv file in the 'Documents' folder .. Not sure if you are unable to locate the file or open the file. If the former then just search for .CSV files on your PC and you should get it. And if the later, what exact problem / error you get ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SAMPSONNN

Thanks for the additional info. Firstly tried with POC Suite and can save a .csv file BUT it is seen as an MS Excel spread sheet. Even by formatting the contents the info and numbers etc are incomplete.

Tried Nokia Suite - contacts details readlily seen on my PC BUT ONLY WHEN THE PHOPNE IS SWITCHED ON. Tried selecting all contacts and exporting them but can only be done via Outlook. Still cannot find a way of saving in a readable format my phone contacts onto my PC without having the phone connected so getting more and more frustrated.

Any further advice would be really welcome.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

After connecting the phone to PC did you SYNC the contacts ? After Sync, they should be visible without connecting the phone ..and if you do not want to get them sync to 'Outlook'..do the settings as above before the sync...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SAMPSONNN

Thanks farby but a bit confused!

Installed the Nokia suite (as opposed to the Nokia Pc suite) as suggested.Used the "do not sync" selection as you suggested.

Could I trouble you to let me know where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Don't change any of the Settings now..

Connect the phone to PC..Open Nokia Suite-->Contacts and click on 'SYNC' at the bottom just next to the phone Icon .. Then click 'All' at the top and all the contacs should be visible.. Now even if you disconnect the phone, these should be visible ..

Refer the attachment.. See that it doesn't show any phone connected ..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SAMPSONNN

Thanks farby,

Sorted - many thanks.

Leigh

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Welcome..

Good to know its all sorted now !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
4patricius

Hello, pls where can I find file with contacts after synchronizarion? I can export manually into vCard files, but not find original file... I want to saved it into another location. Thx

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

4patricius wrote:

Hello, pls where can I find file with contacts after synchronizarion? I can export manually into vCard files, but not find original file... I want to saved it into another location. Thx

If you are using the Nokia suite.. Refer Message 3 in THIS thread

Please use plain text.