Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Clean uninstall of Ovi Suite & PC Suite

Contributor
AnujitDG

Clean uninstall of Ovi Suite & PC Suite

I know some of this has been covered in other threads but I'm still not able to find a solution for my problem.

I'm using a E71 and Windows Vista (32 bit). Recently Ovi started giving an error message "Unable to read the tracks" whenever I started up the suite. After that it doesn't detect my phone (using either BT or USB). I tried using PC Suite but that too has stopped detecting my phone. 

The only time my phone is detected is when I do an "Add Device" in either Ovi or PC Suite. After that when it goes back to the main app window it doesnt show any phone is detected (attached).

I've downloaded all the latest versions of Ovi, PC Suite, Nokia Maps, Ovi Music etc. None of them can detect my phone. Ovi Music refuses to install properly too.

I uninstalled all the Nokia apps - Ovi Suite, PC Suite, Cable Drivers, PC Connectivity. Then I ran PC Suite Cleaner, CCleaner, deleted all the nokia files and folders from Program Files, ProgramData, AppData. Rebooted (Several times). 

Nothing helps.

Can somebody please suggest some diagnostic steps or what I can do to get things up and running. 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Clean uninstall of Ovi Suite & PC Suite

I did the same as you.  My advice - clean everything out as you have.  Including sub directories.  Run a registry cleaner.  Search the Nokia site for a recommended version of Nokia suit for your phone.  Dont touch Ovi suite.  I finally found a version of Nokia suite that now works quite well.  But relating to another thread, I had already searched out another way of updating maps - after messages to Nokia where they promised to reply within 48 hours were ignored.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AnujitDG

Thanks John. Already tried all that but.... :-(

I need someone who can tell me how to remove to clean remove the drivers and all traces of reg etc... maybe that would help.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

You've probably done this already, but Control Panel, Add Remove Programs had separate removals for  the 3 applications of Ovi/Nokia Suite, Connectivity Driver and Map Loader, which I did, followed by a Registry Cleaner (Registry Mechanic) which seemed to do a complete job.  As always happens the directories were there with some minor oddments and were readily deleted.  So I think I really did get rid of everything by that method.  Do you really think there is anything left ?  Because it may be horrible software, but as software goes removal was clean and straight forward.  Its just when you have done it more than once it gets very tedious .......   Best of luck.

ps  I posted in another thread, really getting it off my chest, that for my phone, not the same as yours, that different places on the Nokia site recommended 2 different versions of OVI and another place recommended a version of Nokia Suite.  Impressive, or not ?! OVI was slow to snail pace, never did what it was supposed to including looking at and indexing folders of photographs not remotely connected with the phone, and was temperamental to totally unreliable in linking to the phone.  Map loader never ever worked, claiming either that I didnt have maps or that the version was out of date - on a brand new phone.  In comparison the older (I assume) Nokia suite that I ended up with was simpler, quicker and did exactly what it was supposed to, and even offered a map loader which I think works (but I solved my map download issue by other means).  I can only say that in the process, I learnt a lot about where things were stored, especially the directory structure of the memory chip, how to access and change things.  But not everyone will want to do that.....

Message Edited by Johno5 on 13-Jan-2010 07:57 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

One small discovery to add.  Data is stored separately in a folder called Applications then Nokia under the Users sub directory.  The main programs were in the main Program Files folder.  Clearly these should also go if you really want to clean everything up.  My working (hurrah) Nokia PC Suite has just stored a nice backup to the Nokia folder there.  I seem to have a folder called Nokia OVI Suite from my abortive attempts to get any use out of OVI Suite.
Please use plain text.