Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Contacts with multiple numbers under the same ...

Advisor

Contacts with multiple numbers under the same label

[ Edited ]

i

I have many contacts which have numbers saved under the same label.

For example a contact like this:

• First name: A
  • Mobile: 11
  • Mobile: 22
  • Telephone: 33
  • Telephone: 44

When I open Ovi Suite / Contacts / Contacts in E51 and open the abovementioned contact "A" it shows:

• A
  • Telephone: 44
  • Mobile (other): 22

As you see it deleted one of "Telephone" labeled numbers. It also happened when I used PC suite.

It is really annoying as if I save/sync the contact using Ovi, it causes loss of contacts data.

BTW there is no problem using Backup/Restore function of Ovi/PC suite, nor "Copy to memory card" function of the phone itself.

Ovi suit version : 2.1.1.1

Nokia E51 v300.34.56

Windows 7

PS:

tested another one with 6 different numbers under the same "Mobile" label

the result in Ovi is:

• AA
  • Mobile (main): 33
  • Mobile (other): 22

the other 3 numbers were lost :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Employee
atammin

Re: Contacts with multiple numbers under the same label

Ah, you have an interesting setup here.

Could you answer a few clarifying questions regarding this.

> When I open Ovi Suite / Contacts / Contacts in E51 and open the abovementioned contact "A" it shows

* Did you perform a sync? Or did you just connect the phone and look at the contact card in the phone view?

* Did you check the contact in your phone (using the phone's UI)? Were all the details there - or are you saying that Ovi Suite lost some of the details?

Just to confirm I've understood the scenario correctly

1) you have contact card in phone with two mobile numbers  (same label) and two telephone numbers (same label)

2) you sync with Ovi suite

3) the mobile numbers have been re-labled  to Mobile and Mobile (other) but the numbers are preserved

4) one of the Telephone numbers is completely lost from Ovi Suite and phone.

And this scenario happened with this setup:

- Ovi suite version : 2.1.1.1

- Nokia E51 v300.34.56

- Windows 7

I just want to be clear on the setup and scenario so we can investigate.

thanks, Aki

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

atammin wrote:

Ah, you have an interesting setup here.

Could you answer a few clarifying questions regarding this.

> When I open Ovi Suite / Contacts / Contacts in E51 and open the abovementioned contact "A" it shows

* Did you perform a sync? Or did you just connect the phone and look at the contact card in the phone view?

• I had performed sync before and realized that some contact data are missing in my phone, so I started investigating to see exactly which contacts are affected by creating some dummy contacts and editing them by clicking on my phones icon below the window of "Contacts" tab in ovi.

* Did you check the contact in your phone (using the phone's UI)? Were all the details there - or are you saying that Ovi Suite lost some of the details?

• In fact both. Ovi fails to extract and show some numbers and thus fails to write them back to the phone correctly. The lost details are purged from the phone too.

Just to confirm I've understood the scenario correctly

1) you have contact card in phone with two mobile numbers  (same label) and two telephone numbers (same label)

• yep

2) you sync with Ovi suite

• Either Sync or directly open and save contact.

3) the mobile numbers have been re-labled  to Mobile and Mobile (other) but the numbers are preserved

• They are re-labled only when viewed in Ovi, but  written back to the phone with the same "Mobile" lable as created on the phone.

4) one of the Telephone numbers is completely lost from Ovi Suite and phone.

And this scenario happened with this setup:

- Ovi suite version : 2.1.1.1

- Nokia E51 v300.34.56

- Windows 7

I just want to be clear on the setup and scenario so we can investigate.

thanks, Aki

I also done another test

This is the contact created in phone:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;A
TEL;CELL:11
TEL;CELL:22
TEL;CELL:33
TEL;CELL:44
TEL;CELL:55
TEL;CELL:66
TEL;VOICE:11
TEL;VOICE:22
TEL;VOICE:33
TEL;VOICE;HOME:11
TEL;VOICE;HOME:22
TEL;VOICE;HOME:33
TEL;VOICE;WORK:11
TEL;VOICE;WORK:22
TEL;VOICE;WORK:33
X-CLASS:smileytongue:rivate
END:VCARD

And this is what happens to contact when I just click edit and then save in Ovi.

TEL;CELL;PREF:11
TEL;CELL:33
TEL;VOICE;HOME:33
TEL;VOICE;WORK:33

I also attached what ovi shows about this contact as an image.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

BUMP

hello....

Please use plain text.
Employee
atammin

Ah, forgot to reply.

I am not necessarily surprised if you lose the data when editing the contact directly via Ovi Suite (in your phone). Anyway, I think this is something we'd need to fix if this is working like you mention above.

But I am surprised if the data gets lost when you sync.

Anyway, we'll need to take a look at this.

thanks,Aki

Please use plain text.
Employee
atammin

Finally.

Here's how it shuold work at the moment.

1. You create a contact (with your phone) that contains e.g. 5 mobile phone numbers
  2. You sync that over to Ovi Suite and you will see only three mobile phone numbers
  3. If you edit the contact in Ovi Suite (not in the Phone view, but in the main view) and sync - all five numbers should still be available in the phone.
  4. Eventhough we show you only a subset of the details you might have on your Phone contact card, none of the data should be lost by the sync.

Unfortunately editing a contact card in phone through Ovi Suite does lead currently into you losing those two mobile phone numbers.

So editing the contact in the phone using Ovi Suite will result situation where only the visible details are stored in the phone. And any extra fields (that might have been in the contact card, but are not shown in Ovi Suite) are lost.

This latter is an issue we'll try to address in the upcoming releases.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Aki

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hi again

I think that's not completely correct.

let me show you another test:

0- I created a contact using phone:

(extracted from phone as vcf)

TEL;VOICE:11
TEL;VOICE:22
TEL;VOICE:44
X-CLASS:smileytongue:rivate

1- Contact viewed on ovi after sync (image)

2- Using the main view added a mobile phone number, saved and synced. (image)

3- The contact as shown on the phone (extracted as vcf)

TEL;CELL:11
TEL;VOICE:44
X-CLASS:smileytongue:RIVATE

Please use plain text.
Employee
atammin

at sounds very strange ... and we are Re: Contacts with multiple numbers under the same label

This sounds very strange. We're looking into this more.

I did very similar test with my own setup. (Win XP and N97)

I created contact with 5 different mobile numbers

1. Sync to Ovi Suite
  2. Only three mobile numbers were available - as expected
  3. Added to that contact a telephone number
  4. Synced with Phone

As a result, my N97 had all five mobile numbers AND the added telephone number.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: I'm available for more test

If you want me to test any scenario, I'll be glad to help.

I always have fear of losing contact data while working with Ovi/Pc Suite.

I hope this will be resolved in future.

Do you think that it has anything to do with my E51!?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jaegerschnitzel

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

atammin wrote:

Finally.

Here's how it shuold work at the moment.

1. You create a contact (with your phone) that contains e.g. 5 mobile phone numbers
  2. You sync that over to Ovi Suite and you will see only three mobile phone numbers
  3. If you edit the contact in Ovi Suite (not in the Phone view, but in the main view) and sync - all five numbers should still be available in the phone.
  4. Eventhough we show you only a subset of the details you might have on your Phone contact card, none of the data should be lost by the sync.

Unfortunately editing a contact card in phone through Ovi Suite does lead currently into you losing those two mobile phone numbers.

So editing the contact in the phone using Ovi Suite will result situation where only the visible details are stored in the phone. And any extra fields (that might have been in the contact card, but are not shown in Ovi Suite) are lost.

This latter is an issue we'll try to address in the upcoming releases.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Aki

Am I completely mad or what? If Ovi Suite is designed to work WITH our phones, why it doesn't show EXACTLY THE SAME information that we have in our phones? Why some part of it should be missing or lost during editing etc.? If we can enter 3 mobile phones of the same type in our phones, then we must be able to do the same in Ovi Suite. Is this so hard to realize and implement??????

I understand that it's not possible to avoid such kind of problems when syncing with Outlook or Thunderbird or any other third party software because they don't support the same set of data fields, but why your own Ovi Suite should suffer from this?????????

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jaegerschnitzel

Still the same problem in version 2.2.0.245.

Is it so hard to code a synchronization which doen's loose date?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
druggist61

I find the replies from NOKIA about this problem poor. It is their software on their phones.

I received this reply when I raised the same problem:

Unfortunately, only couple of models have this feature to edit phone number label. For Nokia Suite it is not reasonable to provide this kind of functionality.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

No wonder they are losing market share. Surely this is a great feature on some of their mobiles.

Lots of my friends have increasing numbers of numbers, home, holiday home, work mobile, private mobile.

Please Nokia fix the problem and improve your software, I really don't want to buy one of your competitors handpieces.

Please use plain text.