Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Goodbye OVI Suite, Hello PC Suite

Contributor
usamytch

I agree with most of these posts. I haven't use PC Suite, but OVI Suite is EXTREMELY slow application. On my Core i7 and 8GB RAM it works as if I had old Pentium 4 and 512 MB memory. Awful, raw piece of something.

Hui with us
Please use plain text.
Madasever

Yep Just purchased a nokia N8 and have spent 2 days with the tech heads in the office getting the now compulsory Ovi to do a single thing right like sync to Outlook or upload some photos and everyone has written the software off as a hopeless joke.  If you are running 64 bit windows 7 forget it it is impossible!  Dam thing is a useless piece of crud!  Just worked out that at billing rates Nokia owe my company about $3000.  Never ever again!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
darth_pogo

nice to see I'm not the only Ovi-hater!

I'm really starting to think Ovi is the Finnish word for "steaming pile of manure!

As many others I dont like the fact that more and more apps for S60 require Ovi to update/alter.

PC Suite vs Ovi Suite is a classic example of "if its not broken, dont fix it"

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bwwhite2000

I am the original poster in this thread.  Try the beta of Ovi Suite 3.0.  You'll find a thread about it here.  It's a great improvement over earlier Ovi versions.  Why it took so long to make improvements, I don't know, but I've been happy with Ovi Suite 3.0 beta so far.

Bruce

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
darth_pogo

bwwhite2000 wrote:

I am the original poster in this thread.  Try the beta of Ovi Suite 3.0.  You'll find a thread about it here.  It's a great improvement over earlier Ovi versions.  Why it took so long to make improvements, I don't know, but I've been happy with Ovi Suite 3.0 beta so far.

Bruce

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & still think Ovi is a waste of time. Couldn't even connect my 5800 with v3,

Thanks anyway :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
LLegoLLaS

OVi is mwybe the worst software ever made by nokia.I canno update my e63 because it disconnect from phone when updating at the beginning (i installed all the drivers needed) the problem is that PC Suite is not suported anymore.Please re-enable it or send me an email with the solution.Thank you in advance
Nokia E63
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

PC suite works just fine with a C6. What I can't get to work is the updater. That means OVI and that is slower than molasses in January running uphill! Is there any way else to update besides using the phone or OVI? And I want a total list of the various improvements. I use my phone more like a PDA, not for music, maps or social networking so I could care less about updates for those. I can't sync to Outlook, I haven't got it. So I don't care about that, either. I found the info about NOD32 and Updater, tried that, turned off the firewall and still no go. I've had other phones and their connectivity software is much faster and usable! In fact, if I could get rid of Ovi maps, store, that Office suite, I'd be in heaven.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LLegoLLaS

Hello.I solved DEVICE RECOVERY ERROR.

First uninstall all the nokia software (especially OVI PC Suite and OVI Software updater -ovi suite=trash) then install Nokia Software Updater from here: http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-software-updater/download_and_installation?all=1

Deactivate any security or PIN code from your phone and installation must go well

Nokia E63
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I can only agree.

I have tried Ovi Suite 3 times now on my N97, last time when I had to install it to update Ovi Maps. Every time it has been an unmitigated disaster.

Why they decided to junk a mature product that just works and start from scratch I have no idea. They have gone back over 5 years in learning.

Luckily Ovi Suite and PC Suite can both be installed, so I can use one for Ovi Maps and the other for everything else.

Honesty, I cannot think of any reason to try Ovi Suite for a 4th time!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

@LLegoLLaS Hey! Thanks so much. Downloaded V3 and the sucker works! CS
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

BTW - turned off Online Armor, and disabled the antispyware in NOD32. Started running as soon as it finished installing. Thanks again CS
Please use plain text.
Hjelmeger

Ovi is the worst software I have ever had the misfortune to use. PC Suite just worked. Ovi doesn't, and it is shameful of Nokia to fail their customers like this. Ovi has countless sync issues, and the time that is wasted by customers while attempting to correct problems is appalling. 

We pay premium prices for Nokia phones, like the N97 and as such we are entitled to receive properly working software that keeps our mobile devices in perfect sync with our computers.

After several attempts to remove and re-install I still cannot get Ovi to sync with my outlook calendar, in fact the entire application simply crashes. It is rubbish software, and after being a Nokia user for many years, I am now just going to get an iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Dutch_Wicky

Re: Goodbye Ovi Suite, Hello PC Suite

100% agreed!

I tried OVI Suite for a couple of weeks with my N8 and was totally disappointed by its childish appearance (I don't want to see my contacts, pictures, messages, nor Ovi shop items) and horribly slow performance (at least 10 minutes for Calendar sync; my 5 year old HP iPAQ takes a few seconds...). Version 3.0.0 didn't improve it at all. Today I discovered that PC Suite (version 7.1.30.9) can be used even with N8, so I switched over. WOWWW !! Whoever in Nokia decided to move from PC Suite to OVI Suite should be sacked immediately.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
carpetshark

I agree, and the damned thing is invasive! I don't even allow M$ to pull half that stuff.

I don't want to see my pictures - I know what's there. I want to download messages to my computer in a folder of MY choosing, I don't want Ovi Maps, I prefer my Garmin GPS.

I don't  need or want chat, ovi mail, ovi this or that. I'd like to delete half that stuff. I want to put MY files in the ringtones, and can the made ones. I don't want location, either.

I'm using the phone as a PDA, not a social appliance. I really like the C-6. It's just a shame that Nokia puts out such lousy software.

I've used pc suites for other phones, and NONE of them are as bad as Nokia's.

They never tell you exactly what the "improvements" are, just Oh look, Twitter is fixed, we have a new facebook app.

Is there any other app or something you can use for messages and contacts? and updates?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
RaithK

I wasn't too bothered by the messages, contact and photos sections. They did load slowly though. My biggest issue is with the ads. I don't care Nokia calls the "Recommendations" they're ads for Ovi apps, and I bet soon enough Nokia will charge software makers for "recommendations". I recently bought a E5, a business phone. It's supposed to  have business software.

And about PCSuite - it's the best. It also works with my new phone, which it shouldn't if you believe the Nokia Website. Now that's good software: fast, with only the bare necesities but it really does the job so I hope Nokia would do the wise thing: keep updating PcSuite.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sarveshwar

SICK OF BAD DECISIONS

Really Nokia are doing one bad decision after another. Why was putting "recomendations from NOkia" so important to be put on the home screen? A big distraction and just a clutter. First off I have a Nokia 5800 and I regret my decision to buy it. Well thats my last Nokia anyway. You are not taking care of certain things. Make your current customers happy and they will recommend your brand to others - for sure I am NOT recommending Nokia to anyone!

Now, really why was the sync music option taken off the homescreen music icon?

PLEASE REMOVE OR ATLEAST PROVIDE A OPTIONAL SETTING TO REMOVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM OVI OR WHATEVER. I AND I AM SURE 99% PEOPLE DONT WANT/NEED THAT.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ESerieUser

I agree: OVi is the worst product ever made by Nokia if you want use your Nokia Smartphone

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lestat75

That's incredible after years of developping a bad software like OVI Suite (including the latest version) that Nokia is not listening their users.
Are they reading this forum ???

They should !
That's sound crazy. PC Suite was nice.
From my part I bought a N8 because the sync I had by the past with PC Suite was OK, that was one of the Nokia strenght.

I still believe in God but God no longer believes in me
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LLegoLLaS

[ Edited ]

We all want Nokia PC Suite back!I hope nokia will read this topic.Ovi just sux.Nokia pc suite wasn't perfect but it was milion time better and more stable than this ''wannabe pcsuite'' called Ovi.I don't like to have installed on my phone all kind of  useless software like ''share on ovi'',''ovi contacts'' and stffs like this without my acception.This can be can be called spam.I agree that these programs can pe usefull but some people just don't need them , and i cannot uninstall.Nokia should pay more attention and money solving firmware bugs, not developing **bleep** software.[b]Nokia equals quality,not quantity[/b],but that is not current anymore and we hope Nokia will remain a quality brand , and the leader!We want old Nokia back.

Thank you!

Regards,

Ciprian

Nokia E63
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
9j2bi

100 % AGREE !!

Hope Nokia Understand Real Needs, not those Spams !!!

Please use plain text.