Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: I have done a backup of all the sms and now th...

mauromol

Re: I have done a backup of all the SMS and now they can't be restored!!!!

Hi Marina,

today I received an e-mail that invited me to test the new Nokia Suite 3.3.49 BETA and to provide feedback on some features, among which the backup/restore feature was mentioned:

https://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-suite-beta

So, I installed it and tried to restore my text messages from the backup, but it still does not work.

At the end of the restoration process, it says that it could restore messages, but there were other items that could not be restored. The list of such items, however, was empty.

Anyway, if I now go to my messages inbox or sent box, no messages (neither SMSs nor MMSs) are present. That is:

- the backed up messages were not restored

- the messages I had in my phone (received during the last days) were deleted!

Fortunately, the deleted messages were not important...

I already sent this feedback through the built in function of Nokia Suite, too.

Mauro. 

Please use plain text.
zz887878zz

Re: I have done a backup of all the sms and now they can't be restored!!!!

Just want to say I'm having the same issue. Can't restore 4000+ text messages from .nbu that were backed up using Nokia Suite 3.2.100. Thanks for wasting my time.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Same story here. I also got invited to test the new beta version after having complained about problems in restoring messaging backup. My message store was located on the memory card before backup. I have also lost several years of messages unless there will be a fix to this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
adilsharief

Hi,

I have done backup of my E-72 (contacts, bookmarks, messages, calendar, notes) through Nokia Suite, before hard reset. But while trying to restore the same, the sms are not getting restored on my phone. I have repeated the process several times but Nokia Suite failed to restore the messages, WHY? pls help on this issue as I have very imp messages to retrieve...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NoreiT

Hi,
I read theres a problem about restoring messages from nbu file, I have that problem too. I updated my Nokia E66 to latest firmware and cannot restore (even in older versions of ovi suite or in this beta) it.
I noticed there can be problem with Mail for exchange app, as when I installed Mail for exchange, make settings and synchronize mails from Exchange, it was good, forder "Mail for Exchange" was there, same as emails. When I try to restore my sms from .nbu file, messege arent restored and after phone restart Mail for Exchange app is destroyed too, cannot use it, "Mail for Exchange" folder isnt in phone too. I have to uninstall it, and install again.

I also noticed that with NBU Explorer, I can see in Messages tab my Emails in same folder as SMS, but without phone numbers, and strange line inbetween them. Is there any way I can delete any unwanted messages (emails plus that strange line) from .nbu?
Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
javor

I'd like someone from Nokia to announce when we can expect the solution to appear. I have the same problem with 5800 and the new Suite.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pinoyians

well this is totally f#$#ed. Nokia you bunch of incompetence! How could you miss such thing!! Now we are all missing our SMS!!!!!! I totally hope SMS format were not corrupt when backing up! else i will never buy a single NOKIA phone ever!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
avinlawkelvin

Sir actualu I synced ma sms daily.

From past 5 months I had synced 12260 sms.

But Now I not gettin any of the synced sms in ovi suite.

Is any one dere who can help me out in solving this problem Pls. any one help me out in solving this problem pls.

I want all those 12260sms Its very Important sms for me pls Any help me out in solving this Problem.

Please use plain text.
vdstanescu

Hi, guys. Today I faced the same problem: backed-up my E63 and when trying to restore from .nbu file with Nokia PC Suite , everything worked except for the messages.
My solution was as follows:
1. With NBU Explorer (v 2.4) I exported .vmg files in two separate windows explorer folders for Inbox and Sent Items resspectively.
2. I noticed that in Nokia PC Suite 7.1 you can copy .vmg files only to the Draft folder from Nokia Communication Centre (Messages section) (call it NCM). If you can leave with all your received and sent SMSs being stored here, you can stop at this step. But I wanted more.
3. Copy by drag and drop .vmg files from Inbox-related explorer folder to Draft section in NCM.
4. In NCM, export these recently copied messages as .csv file.
5. Import this .csv file in Nokia Suite 3.2.100. They will be seen in the upper part, i.e. computer, under "All". You can keep Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Suite opened and connected with phone in the same time and they will not interfere.
6. In Nokia Suite, Drag and drop to "Messages in E63", folder (in the lower side, i.e. the phone), folder "Inbox". On the phone, you should now see your text messages.
7. Repeat steps 3.-6. for the Sent Items-related folder. In brief: Copy .vmg files NCM.Draft folder. Export another .csv file and import it then in Nokia Suite. Drag and drop it to the folder "Sent" and you are also done with your sent items.

Let me know if you need further details or clarifications on the above.

Best regards and a Happy 2012.

Valentin (Romania)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rileyjsg

Hi, you method is a lifesaver! I've followed your steps and have recovered my inbox items successfully. However when i import my sent items into nokia suite, the previously imported inbox and the newly imported sent items are mixed in the 'all' tab. How do i have only the sent items draged into the 'sent' folder at the right hand side bottom?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rileyjsg

Is ok i figured it out. I just disconnected the usb cable and lauched the nokia suites again and did the same steps for my sent items, and it worked!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. :smileyvery-happy:

Nokia, this is what people need to resort to... sighs. =S

Please use plain text.
arramplador

Shame on Nokia,

same problem here. 2 months after the first post, and the best answer from the Team is "we are working on it", yes, right!.

I did back up on Nokia Suite (For some commercial reason you changed once again the name), and it did not backed up my messages, like the others here.

But I took extra caution and did yet a back up with Nokia PC Suite, and the same problem remains. I have a 5800 I case anyone wonders.

Nokia should be ashamed first of doing this mistake and second of not fixing it (people get a lot of SMSs in that time). Sorry for you Nokia, your commercial strategy sucks. You will not have me as customer for your new Windows phones (you guys sold your soul to Microsoft).

This will make it less painful when I migrate to Android.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Xcelly

[ Edited ]

I did the fatal mistake of updating the firmware of my E71 and encountered this stupid bug. WTH Nokia, where's the fix???

I want my messages back. So much for freaking backups, useless. 

Please use plain text.
tarikosa

any solutions?
I gotan e66 and after update to nokia suite andfirmware upgrade, I can't restore, soft say is done but no data in the phone.
Please use plain text.
PPDas

Same issue faced by me today.
Downloaded & installed Nokia suite 3.2.100.
Connected & synced.
Took a complete backup(.nbu) twice just to be on the safer side.
Updated my E63 Handset software as per alert.
Update completed successfully without any errors.
Here comes the prob now >
Nokia Suite cant restore all data from the backup(.nbu)
Trouble only with sms & emails.
Lost all very important text messages & emails.
Should have checked this forum before updating.
Nokia is not reliable as before and has started to suck.
Even the helpline sucks.
I've lost very valuable data.
What the hell Nokia ??? Instead of connecting people you've been screwing people with faulty / product updates.
its been 3 months almost since the issue was first reported.
when will the customers receive the fix ?? at all ??
Please use plain text.
arramplador

Re: I have done a backup of all the SMS and now they can't be restored!!!!

The reply from vdstanescu, explains how to fix it. It worked for me partly to restore an older back up copy. Then I had to do some manual work to get back the sms from the last month transferring to the excel format, editing to a readable format for the new software, and some copy paste. Took me 5 hours total time.

As the last uses says. Nokia screwing people

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vishal1369

i have been able to restore sms but name of sender does not appears only mobile numberis shown.

when i connect my phone to pc suit the it shows sender's name.

can i rectify this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fredyp

Hi guys,

I've just updated to the latest Nokia Suite 3.3 ( www.nokia.com/nokiasuite) and the problem has gone!!!

Finally I've got my SMS back!

Good luck for you.

Please use plain text.
mauromol

Thanks for the notice, I'm downloading it now to test.
Just a question: after restoring your SMSs, were the current SMS you had on the phone deleted and replaced with the ones coming from the backup file, or were they kept together with the restored ones?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fredyp

Yes, unfortunatly the current SMS on the phone were deleted and replaced with the ones coming from the backup file.

Please use plain text.