Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

N8-00 Phone Softare update fails to Install

Advisor
Paulsf

Checking "software update" app on my N8 , I saw an "important" phone update of 335kb . For reasons explained on other boards I can't currently connect to OVI Suite so I downloaded "over-the-air". Download was fine but it won't install and it doesn't seem possible to clear and download again. The advice in FAQ is:

"

"Software update failed"

This could be because:

• No SIM card inserted – insert a valid SIM card.
  • Power or Internet connection was lost during the update. The update may have been successful. Remove the battery and if the software was not updated, try again.
  • Device in Offline or Flight profile – briefly press the power button and select the "General" profile."

In my case SIm is in, not in Flight mode and you can't remove the battery from an N8. Next steps please

theopract

Re: N8-00 Phone Softare update fails to Install

I have the very same problem. Still looking for solution!

Registered Member
saxerac

yes im having same problem,any ideas???

Mobile Visionary
satari

Try this once, may solve your problem" You need either to update the Nokia Software Updater to the latest version from Nokia.com or uninstall the Nokia Ovi Suite and PC Connectivity Solution from Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features) and then reinstall Nokia Ovi Suite 2.2.1.23."
Please THANK me by clicking on the ****WHITE STAR** ( Giving KUDOS) the big GREEN BOX to your LEFT .
It will help me to serve you better !!!!!
Thanking You
russthefuss

I have that version of Ovi installed and I also still have the same problem - I have also re-installed the phone software and it makes no difference, I may try a complete re-format again and see if that works.

Advisor
joshwal

Has anyone found a solution to this? I suspect my download failed? and now the update ALWAYS fails and gives no option to re-download...

ChenZheChina

try to clean this folder E:\Private\20019119\[2000f85a]\data
ChenZheChina

I encountered the same problem on my C6-01 when I tried to install updates by GPRS. Then, during downloading, it seems that downloading failed, then the software updater tried to install the corrupted installation file, which led to failure.

Later I found that if I remove memory card from C6-01, it re-download installation files. So I tried to find where Software Updater put those temporary files and found them to be in E:\Private\20019119\[2000f85a]\data. Therefore, I deleted this folder with memory card reader and then everything went right.

I know that N8 has a built-in mass storage as E: so that you cannot take the memory card out and clean the folder. But I think it might worth a try that you connect your phone and choose Mass Storage mode, or use a hacked firmware to access hidden folders in E:

redevel

Options

Checking "software update" app on my N8 , I saw an "important" phone update of 335kb . For reasons explained on other boards I can't currently connect to OVI Suite so I downloaded "over-the-air". Download was fine but it won't install and it doesn't seem possible to clear and download again. The advice in FAQ is:

"Software update failed"

This could be because:

-No SIM card inserted – insert a valid SIM card.
   - Power or Internet connection was lost during the update. The update may have been successful. Remove the battery and if the software was not updated, try again.
   - Device in Offline or Flight profile – briefly press the power button and select the "General" profile."

In my case SIm is in, not in Flight mode and you can't remove the battery from an N8. Next steps please

Employee

Hi redevel,

Thank you for your valuable post.
Could you please provide more information regarding this issue?

-System Information (help-about Ovi Suite-System information-Copy and paste)
-- Enable log gathering by double-clicking the enable_logs.js file in installation folder C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Suite
- Click the button to start enabling the logs when prompted by the dialogue
- Click the button to confirm the "Logs are enabled" dialogue
- Exit Nokia Ovi Suite from File - Exit. This is mandatory! Closing NOS to system tray is not enough!
- Open Nokia Ovi Suite again
- Try to reproduce the error you are reporting
- If the error still exists, double click the collect_logs.js file in installation folder C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Suite
- Click the button to start collecting the logs when prompted by the dialogue
- Click the button to confirm the "Logs collect & zip finished" dialogue
- Attach the NOS2_logs.zip file in C:\Temp\NOS2 folder and screenshots in the error reporting form
- Disable log gathering by double-clicking the disable_logs.js file in installation folder C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Suite
- Click the button to start disabling the logs when prompted by the dialogue
- Click the button to confirm the "Logs are disabled" dialogue
ou can send these log files, system information details to ovisuite.feedback@nokia.com mailbox.

Please mention your discussion forum username and link the body of the email so that it would be easier for us to know.
Advisor
AndiR

Hi,

I have the same problem and it isn't NOS related, since you can retry the download on the phone as well, it shows the download as available but never overwrites the previously downloaded corrupt download.  It therefore just tries to install the existing broken one and fails; over and over and over...

I think Nokia should implement a simple MD5 hash check before installing, and if it's invalid force a re-download.

Kind regards,

Andi

redevel

[ Edited ]

hye, any1 found the solution 4 the installation fail subject??? i kinda looking 4ward 2 it. plzz help. hotmail :  .... by the way, admins, it's totally unrelated 2 the NOS, since the installation fail during my installation using my phone... there's nothing wrong with my other frenz on

their's.

Moderators note:

"We would like to inform you that we have removed your e-mail address as it is inappropriate to publish personal contact information on a public web forum."

redevel

ok2. plz gv me solution. i hard reset whole things d, all maps, pic, video gone. but still cant solve it... how?? should i go 2 ncc n ask 4 repair?? i

Contributor
f_lyonthewall

[ Edited ]

i have the same problem too it is annoying pls mod report it fast and hope the fix will come sooner

i cant update the application update

video

and ovi map

the games n theme updates are fine

i tried updating through wifi(phone) too but failed i think its the os zzz this is my first nokia phone pls dun let me down nokia

Contributor
Talkabout

[ Edited ]

Useless thread no workable answers, waste of time.

Registered Member
keith100159

I too had the issue with the updates failing and sent an email to nokia via the nokia web site and got a response back the next day. I have now managed to install 3 out of the 4 updates. The only one that still fails is the Golf. To get the 3 to install I did the following.

On the PC without the phone connected

go into add/remove programs   ( this is on windows xp )

select nokia connectivity cable driver

click on change

then choose repair and ok

When finished restart PC if prompted to

Connect phone to the PC and run Ovi suite and get the updates

As I said, this worked for me apart from the Golf and that still fails.

Contributor
Talkabout

To delete the corrupted file:

1- have the phone in mass storage mode for usb: settings>connectivity>usb select mass storage

2- connect via usb

3- go to the storage device (whatever the drive designation on your computor) then private folder and delete the folder with the corrupted data.

tiimur

Re: N8-00 Phone Software update fails to Install

Problem #1:  thought the USB connection you can only see one of the storage areas, while with the file browser (I installed X-plore on my N8)  you can see two. So some storage  areas are not available for inspection with you desktop file browser.

Problem #2: It is not known which of the files corresponds to the corrupt update downloads. I tried to search files by name, by the creation date and by file size (the update that fails for me is "Phone apps update, Important (3302 kB)" and I could not find this file. It is possible the download of the update is stored as a number of blocks in some sort of cache, but I have no knowledge on where these are.

Problem #3: it is our theory that the reason for update failures is the corrupt file. The reality might be different.

I think nokia experts need to get involved here

tiimur

Talkabout wrote:

To delete the corrupted file:

1- have the phone in mass storage mode for usb: settings>connectivity>usb select mass storage

2- connect via usb

3- go to the storage device (whatever the drive designation on your computor) then private folder and delete the folder with the corrupted data.

As I said the key is knowing which files to delete. It turns out that Software update uses Private\20019119\ to store its files.  Removing (or renaming this directory Private\20019119\) followed by the phone restart leads to new attempts by the Application Update to download and install the updates. And in my case I was able to install update that was previously failing.

(Explanation of the meaning of the private dirs can be found at this Nokia Wiki page.  Evidently 20019119 is the PID of the Application Update program. I found the name of the directory out by saving the copy of the whole directory tree , downloading and installing other updates and then comparing the dir trees). Googling for the id itself also found the following post from  DaNeo where similar problem was resolved by deletion of  Private\20019119

Contributor
Unick

Today I deleted folder E:\Private\20019119\. Aftar that I run update and it finished successful. Maybe current version on Nokia server is correct.