Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia N9 and Ovi suite - when will Ovi suite suppo...

N9OwnerNorway

Nokia N9 and Ovi suite - when will Ovi suite support N9?

Hi

Yesterday I got my nokia N9, Im totally in love with the phone. So much better than my iPhone!

However, Im a business user and are dependent on synchronising my phone's contact book and calendar with my pc. Nokia Ovi suite currently do not support the N9.. When will it?

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Nokia N9 and Ovi suite - when will Ovi suite support N9?

@N9OwnerNorway

Welcome to the forum!

There is a comment here about old PC Suite being able to edit your phones calendar for what it's worth:http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/10/05/your-nokia-n9-and-computer-connected-with-nokia-link/

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

N9OwnerNorway

I need full integration - outlook calendar and contact synch! Are nokia planning to release sowftware for syncing N9?

Contributor
neutral22

I'm 99% certain Nokia is working to get Ovi suite support for the Nokia N9 ,

the obvious reason N9 is not supported from launch, is the Meego system.

Though, the N900 (Maemo - predecessor ..as such a related OS) is supported.

A pity there was no support from day one however.

Personally I'd like to be able to use Nokia Link with other Nokia devices (as I'd prefer to decide copy one way, instead of synchronizing, a bit more like the older Nokia PC suites) as I like the more

simpistic userfriendliness

I understand however why you'd like to see Ovi support soon.
(There hasn't been any word yet to my knowledge as to such a releasedate)

The N9's world premiere was just a couple of days ago, so I imagine there will be announcements sooner ratherr than later

Registered Member
Wico71

How ludicrous that a new release phone isn't supported by Ovi Suite. Surely Nokia have had this phone in development long enough to release it with Ovi Suite support!

Contributor
kloiper

I would really like to see this issue solved very soon!! How am I supposed to sync my contacts and calendar with my N9?

Does anybody have a solution for this problem?

thank's for any suggestions.

Professor
theking2

You are kidding me, aren't you? The Flagship is not compatible with Ovi Suite?
N9OwnerNorway

Well for me, the phone is useless untill I get it synced..  There is no way I will enter 200+ contacts manually... So it will unfortunately stay in my drawer untill sync is possible :-( :-( :-(

Since I am a developer, another option would be - if I have time - to create a meego QT program that reads in a csv file (exported from outlook) and then populates the contact list on the phone.

Registered Member
Kummitus

From the specs:

Personal Information Management (PIM):

Detailed contact information

Calendar

To-do list

Notes

Support for MS Outlook synchronisation of contacts, calendar and to-do with Mail for ExchangeSupport for viewing documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF and Open Document Formats

Online calendar synchronisation with CalDAV

So it is possible somehow, read the manual:smileyhappy:

lousharky1

I have recently purchased a nokia n9, not compatible with ovi suite, why ?????

and i cannot download maps catalogue through my wi fi.    why  ????

whats going on NOKIA

CAN ANYONE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

AUSTRALIA

Contributor
twsmark

[ Edited ]

thanks, i read the manual but it doesnt say about synchronising with outlook, the spec does say there is support for it but no detail on how. any help would be appreciated i have ditched iphone4 / htx win7 / motolra android devices to go with the N9 on the advised specifications. Australia

Advisor
ericsson

It is unforgivable by Nokia not to release a Ovi/Nokia suite soon enough (at least I will not forgive them until they release one :smileyhappy: )

I synced mine with my E6, that works. This means syncing the E6 with Outlook and then syncing the E6 with the N9. Another option that I haven't tried is to sync with Ovi directly through the phone. This require an Ovi account and of course that you previously have synced another phone.

Contributor
kloiper

I think the worst part of this whole story is, that Nokia doesn't give a statement. Or am I wrong??
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i believe that exchange will allow you to sync correctly, and if you do not have exchange yourself, it works with google, which will copy calendar/contacts/email ok. at least from some of the tweets i have been reading over time.

i will not have one for another week or so, until then, it is only info i can read from some of the devs. after i have it.....GAME ON! :smileywink:
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Professor
theking2

The problem really would be that it is not possible to pre-download maps and voice guidance. One of the thinks that sets apart MeeGo and Android/Google. 

Also a backup, in case of a firmware upgrade, is not possible. I guess the ovi team is busy getting a win7 edition created and tested. I cannot see why the N9/MeeGo would be a priority at Nokia. 

Registered Member
WizardOVS

Great! I bought the N900 and it was not supported by Ovi at that time. No support at all. I thought that the NOKIA company this time actually had their support fixed for the relees of the N9. Its back to iPhone again.

N9OwnerNorway wrote:

Hi

Yesterday I got my nokia N9, Im totally in love with the phone. So much better than my iPhone!

However, Im a business user and are dependent on synchronising my phone's contact book and calendar with my pc. Nokia Ovi suite currently do not support the N9.. When will it?

demolition

[ Edited ]

OMG. They've done it again! Released decent h/w without the s/w to follow it up, what a surprise! Not being able to synchronise with Ovi is just rubbish. Howver, it should be possible to import existing contacts.

Assuming your previous device is able export conmtacts to vcf (either directly or via a pc programme like Ovi), do so.

Put all the contacts in a folder.

Copy this folder to the N9.

In the contact manager go to "Get Contacts".

- this should solve the contacts problem.

I'm basing this suggestion on the N900 because I don't have an N9 yet. Also, you could try to write (or ask someone to write for you) a script, which automatically copies contacts from the said folder to the contact manager - it's linux after all!

Alas, until NoWin sort out Ovi to work with the N9, there's no chance of copying across your sms messages and probably email outbox too. Though, there is some mention of it working with ms outlook so is that worrh a look?

Edit: Harmattan is Maemo in disguise so those who didn't have the N900 or any of the previous Maemo devices might not know to look at maemo.org for help. there might be something in one of the fremantle(Maemo5) repositories (open source s/w catalogue) that can be re-compiled for Harmattan and might help with all of this? There is a section on the forum (talk.maemo.org) for N9 users. Be polite, though!

Good luck!

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

These n8 units must be horrible. I know a solution...just send me your evil n9 units and I'll fix them! They are not selling them here in usa.

Lol.
Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
mariposa83

Nokia N9 does not support Ovi Suite, but there is new lightweight and simple to use Nokia Link application for your PC or Mac:  www.nokia.com/nokialink . With this application you can easily  copy photos, videos and music to your N9.

For Outlook contacts and calendar you can use the Mail for Exhange account, that will also synch your email. You can find guidance here:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n9/user-guide?ccf_name=nokia-n9/guide/GUID-6BE14793-...

For directly syncing contacts from your old phone to the N9 you can use the widely compatible contact syncing. You can initiate this from the Phonebook> Options> Import contacts or from the Settings:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n9/user-guide?ccf_name=nokia-n9/guide/GUID-D546BDA9-...

For preloading maps, you no longer need to have your computer, but can do this directly from the N9's Map application. From the settings you can choose> Manage maps> App maps. There you can preload country maps over WLAN connection. 

Piia

Product Manager for Nokia N9

Contributor
kaien

[ Edited ]

N9OwnerNorway wrote:

Well for me, the phone is useless untill I get it synced..  There is no way I will enter 200+ contacts manually... So it will unfortunately stay in my drawer untill sync is possible :-( :-( :-(

Since I am a developer, another option would be - if I have time - to create a meego QT program that reads in a csv file (exported from outlook) and then populates the contact list on the phone.

Actually, your problem can be solved by just using nokia switch built in your symbian phone. N9 supports BT transfer via Nokia Switch, I had all my calenders, contact and notes transfered to my nokia N9 right away.