Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Ovi Suite Is RUBBISH!

Contributor
HornyHaggis

Nokia Ovi Suite Is RUBBISH!

I've used Nokia PC Suite for years and, recently updated to Ovi Suite.

I've found PC Suite to be a superior product for the following reasons:

1/ Ability to initiate and answer calls from within the software,

2/ The software is fully self contained; including calendar and,

3/ No need to install Microsoft products in order to acheive full functionality.

I can't understand why Nokia have updated PC Suite in this way.  I am left wishing I'd never changd my 'phone.

More recently, the Ovi Suite update has caused the following further problems:

1/ Ovi Suite does not stay signed into Ovi Online: every time I start my Ovi Suite, I have to re-sign-in to Ovi Online; despite having the 'keep me signed in' box checked.

This is a badly designed and very poor piece of software.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jamrock60

I am having a lot of problem with the OVI suite I cant down load any apps to my phone all i get is a white screen which says loading and nothing ever happens. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HornyHaggis

Have you signed into Ovi.com both at www.ovi.com and on your Ovi Suite and, is your mobile make and model registered at Ovi.com?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jamrock60

[ Edited ]

Ye,s It was a bad device I had to send it back to Nokia to be re-flash. It was returned to me and since then all my problem has disappear .

Please use plain text.
rsjon93

never forget... apple itunes is much more worse.... its THE ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ral613

rsjon93 wrote:

never forget... apple itunes is much more worse.... its THE ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!

This statement is absolute rubbish.

I have an N97 Mini, 5800 XM and iPhone 4. I have used PC Suite, Ovi Suite and iTunes. With iTunes I never had MTP driver errors like with PC Suite. I never had a CPU hog like Ovi Suite. I never had a supposed upgrade of a product actually drop major features like the transition from PC Suite to Ovi Suite. I have never had a firmware upgrade almost brick my phone like the most recent upgrade did to my N97 Mini. It was the incredible level of frustration of dealing with Nokia software that led me to Apple products.

iTunes does not do as much as PC Suite, but what it does do, it does well and IT JUST WORKS. I have never had iTunes leave my iPhone in an inconsistent state.

Guess which phone I use every day now, and which phones sit in a drawer.

Please use plain text.
sunnyman0

I have used Nokia Ovi Suite to upgrade my Nokia E51 software successfully some five months ago. The only problem is that the software installed through Ovi suite is not the latest available software for my phone. I do not know how to install the latest software 400.34.011 without using the Nokia Ovi suite.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
u_v_m

sorry sunnyman0, Nokia did not want that I help you with a program that is not from Nokia, look for help in the www, you will find a lot of help for your firmware update
Nokia N97, PC 0586701 RM-505
Firmware: CFW 22.0.110.03.01
Win7
Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

I also prefer using Nokia PC Suite but unfortunatley OVI Suite does not support N8. The No.1 thing I dislike is the lack of own calender.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ahxsisu

OVI Suite surely has its pluses but it comes with more minuses. RUBBISH would be an unfair description since i can see the efforts nokia put into the software for a more chic and simplisitic user interface. However, i have to add that OVI Suite is far from fully functional, if compared to Itunes, which can be annoying sometimes but is more stable and fully functional most of the time. OVI Suite, on the other hand, is an example of software execution which lacks a user perspective. It's too simple where more details and alternatives are expected by the user, and it's too complicated where a simpler and more user-friendly design may come handy. The biggest problem is the lack of stability and reliability in facing a multitude of engineering  and application senarios, which may explain why the Suite habitually halts, freezes or aborts on its missions in addition to a poorly-supported internet servers availability globally. Some of the issues may be traced back to strategic levels of Nokia's management. A lack of attention to user experience might become the last straw for the brand.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HornyHaggis

My comment that 'Nokia Ovi Suite Is RUBBISH' comes from a comparison with Nokia PC Suite and no other product.

I've been a dedicated Nokia handset user for almost twenty years and a dedicated PC Suite user for five years, before Feb 2010; when my upgrade to a Nokia C7 handset forced me to change from PC Suite to Ovi Suite.  I’ve never used an iPhone or iTunes.

As stated previously, my complaints relate specifically to the three points that I raise in the initial post; not the internet connectivity, iProducts or even the program stability.

Fix the three problems that I list in my initial comment and I will be happy to praise and even promote the product.  Any other problems that are suffered can be fixed with patches and one expects this from a newish product.  What is totally unacceptable is that the new product; Nokia Ovi Suite should be so vastly inferior to the older product; Nokia PC Suite.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pissedoff2011

Have got to agree, why is everything got to be so complicated, transfer photo`s from phone,err where do you print them off.  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pissedoff2011

Drag picture into HP photo & imaging, then Ive printed it, what a joke. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

The software is also plagued by hasty fixes and changes that don't improve or fix anything but instead make matters worse.

Some examples:

• Since one of the early 3.1.0 builds Ovi-Suite no longer stays logged on to my Ovi-Account, even after a complete uninstall and reinstall
  • The function to sync music between desktop and handset was removed, you now have to copy playlists manually
  • .m4a file extension (iTunes default) is no longer recognized by Ovi-Suite and connot be added to music library. Ovi Player must be used for that.
  • Some music files won't add when rescanning folders and it's completely arbitrary which ones. Sometimes only one song from an entire album is missing. Only way to get that song into the library is to delete all music from it and rescan iTunes from Ovi-Player.
  • On my work PC MTP-device is re-detected and reinstalled on almost every connect of my N97 lemon.
  • on my home PC, I always have to connect  the phone twice to get  USB connectivity AND charging. (That my be an issue of the N97 POS in conjunction with OVI-Suite)
  • Ovi-suite still has a HUGE memory and disk  footprint and compared to the trusty old Palm Desktop and even iTunes is as slow as molasses

And there's much more. I too will turn my back on Nokia after almost 15 years and never look back when my contract is up for renewal in December. Ovi-Suite and the N97 were a bitter disappointment and a will have been a two year ordeal of making tasks more complicated instead of easier.

It's a shame for Nokia, but their hardware and software quality has really gone down the drain, as the eroding market share here in Europe proves (They've lost 44% of their share so far this year in Western Europe). Even the number posts in these forums here are going down dramatically.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HornyHaggis

Hello there, KiltBear

I take your point about Nokia Ovi Suite (NOS) being a huge burdon on my computer's memory and HDD but, to be honest, I think the other problems that you are experiencing are more to do with your handset and/or computer than NOS

I too used to have the some of the problems that you have mentioned but, these were solved one update and one patch ago; I can't speak to the music issues as I don't sync my music that way.

When I was looking for a new handset, in Feb 2011, I had an initial interest in the N97 but I discovered that it's history was full of problems and issues so, I went for the C7 instead.  I've never known anyone with an N97 who likes it and has no problems with it and since the Anna update, any issues, and there were one or two little ones, have been solved.

The long and short: Before giving up on Nokia, you should think about giving up on the N97.

Gosh!  It sounds like I work for Nokia but, Honest!  I don't.  LOL

Please use plain text.
andre2xu

I agree, totally, Horny. The PC Suite was user-friendly and immediate; Nokia Ovi Suite is the opposite. Each time I try to sync my Nokia device I have to wait for 'updates' to download - using more memory - only to receive a plethora of options, not one of which seems to work. In frustration, I have deleted all Ovi files from my system - realising I may have to reverse this when I need to sync my phone with my computer.

I have used Nokia devices since they were first launched, I like them because I know them, but I do  not like Ovi and, unless it returns to a simpler synchronisation platform than Ovi, Nokia will not be the name on the next phone I buy.

Please use plain text.
Sage

@hornyHaggis

No, it's actually not really a problem with my PCs, if it were we'd have only problem PCs. I myself have used Ovi-suite on at least 5 different machines and currently use it on two, at work and at home.

In the data centre where I work our Nokia smartphone users generate TWICE as many support tickets as the users of all other smartphones combined, yet Nokias account for only about 20% of our installed smartphone base. Most of the tickets pertain to Ovi-Suite.

As for the OVI user interface, it took Nokia forever to quit broadcasting private information to the world via the Ovi-suite home screen which it did until version 2.x. but instead we are now treated to shameless plugs of software that takes the majority of the window real estate of Ovi-Suite 3.x

Syncs to Outlook are notoriously unreliable, the Ovi.Suite "eats" tasks and appointments, had issues syncing notes and so on. There's rarely a week where i don't have to restore my Outlook calendar from the exchange server backup.

The list of issues I have with Ovi could be at least twice as long as it is and while I agree that the N97 is a piece of garbage, all of the Ovi-related issues can be reproduced with a 5800xm.

What's more, you can install Ovi-Suite five times on the exact same PC which was prepped with the exact same CLEAN disk image and you WILL get five different results. I know because it took me five tries to get Ovi suite to work correctly on my machine at work.

The N97 brick is actually only the second worst handset that I have from Nokia. The worst was the 6280 of which I had six within a year, all warranty exchanges.

The N8s that we have here at work are only slightly less troublesome than the N97 and since Symbian is being ditched in favor of WP7 and application support is dwindling fast (most of the really cool apps are only available for the fruit phone and android, plus announced for WP7) my Noka days are definitely coming to an end.

If I ever get a WP7 devices there are other brands that come to mind long before Nokia, sorry. The sales numbers show that I am not the only one thinking like that, because they are going down. Fast. Very Fast.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HornyHaggis

Hello again, KiltBear

I completely take your point about Nokia sales but here's the thing:

Before having my current C7 handset, I had a 5800xm, with that I used PC Suite.  My only experience with Nokia Ovi Suite {NOS} has been sice Feb 2011 when I upgraded from 5800xm to my curren C7.  I have a computer related PhD so, it is fair to say that I'm a bit of a computer geek.  I live alove and have five computers in my house (that should tell you how much of a geek I am).  NOS is installed on all of them and I've no experience of the problems that you seem to have.

I wish I could help more.  Sorry

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

N8 (Anna) with OVI Suite and sync my photos to computer. Upgraded to 3.1.1.90 and all of a sudden, when syncing my N8’s photos to computer, it duplicates the photos on the computer. Now I have two copies of every photo on my computer. I think I am giving up using OVI Suite to sync and store my N8’s photos onto computer because every now and then, something went wrong.

I am thinking of just the plain copy & paste function to store my N8’s photos onto computer on a monthly basis instead. Should I do that?

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

optiplex330 wrote:

N8 (Anna) with OVI Suite and sync my photos to computer. Upgraded to 3.1.1.90 and all of a sudden, when syncing my N8’s photos to computer, it duplicates the photos on the computer. Now I have two copies of every photo on my computer. I think I am giving up using OVI Suite to sync and store my N8’s photos onto computer because every now and then, something went wrong.

I am thinking of just the plain copy & paste function to store my N8’s photos onto computer on a monthly basis instead. Should I do that?

I have never had any problem with Ovi Suite sync'ing messages, calendar, etc but I do not use it for syncing music or photos so cannot comment with respect to those.

However, in past years when using PDA's I commonly got duplicates, lost items, etc and so a long time ago I moved to using Microsoft's Synctoy application for sync'ing data, music and image files and have never had a problem since. Currently I use it to keep files including photos and music sync'ed and/or backed up between 4 devices being the N8, a PC, a notebook and a USB drive. On the N8 USB needs to be set to Mass Storage.

It is free and if you want to try it a google on Synctoy will bring it up.

Please use plain text.