Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Ovi Suite Is RUBBISH!

Sage
optiplex330

Thanks for introducing Synctoy. Does it sync via Bluetooth which is my prefered method of syncing?

Please use plain text.
Sage

@hornyHaggis

Well the only reason if not computer related PhD is tha they were useless when I started my IT career in 1983. Our universities were still teaching punched cards, tapes, core memory and magnetic drums while was happily programming away on a VAX 11/780. That was in 1983.

Since then I ha worked in IT and still do. I have had the first US Robotics Pilot 5000 which later evolved in to Pal line of PDAs.

We support 750 users, roughly 300 of which use smart phones or PDAs, the old palms, fruit phones and Windows mobile devices really don't give us half the grief our Nokia users on Ovi do.

IN all fairness, I have to admit that those we could leave on Pc Suite are happy, none of those having to use Ovi are.

Prior to the N97 I had Palms, few Problems for over 10 years and was using my phones as just that, phones.

So guess as they in the auto industry: Your mileage may vary. At the moment we have fresh installations of Ovi-suite banned on our network and all Nokia devices requiring Ovi-Suite blacklisted, meaning they can no longer be purchased through the organization ( I work for the local government).

I still sand by my statement that Ovi-Suite is about as stable as Charles Manson and also by my statement that in about two year's time at the most, Nokia will be a small niche player in Europe, the WP7 devices won't be enough to save their ruined reputation. They may still remain a major player in emerging markets with entry level handsets, but I doubt Nokia will be much more in the long run.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

optiplex330 wrote:

Thanks for introducing Synctoy. Does it sync via Bluetooth which is my prefered method of syncing?

Hi Optiplex

SyncToy here is on a Win 7, 64 bit machine and I am using the 64 bit version of SyncToy. In a quick test in that environment bluetooth did not work. For this I loaded all the drivers for the bluetooth services that I believe the phone supports. The phone (N8) is visible and can be browsed in Windows Explorer but  in SyncToy the phone's folders are greyed out.

This may just be an OS/64 bit issue though and the 32 bit version of SyncToy may work in Win 7 32 & 64 bit, or if not then may do so with XP.

If you do try it with bluetooth and it works could you send me a message as I would be interested to know the outcome.

It does work fine with USB, but as I said one just has to make sure Mass Storage mode is used.

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

Nope. Bluetooth doesn't work with Vista and N8 (Anna). From the PC, I can see the folder in N8 but it can not be selected. Back to square 1.

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

When you say you cannot see the folder on the phone is that in Windows Explorer or in SyncToy?

Please use plain text.
Sage
optiplex330

When I opened up SyncToy, I can see the files in the N8 phone but those files can not be selected for backup/syncing. In other words, selection is not an option.

Please use plain text.
larsahlstrom56

Agree totally with first poster.

Please use plain text.
larsahlstrom56

[ Edited ]

First see attachment below...

Just an example.... "Misslyckades" = "Did not succeed" which has been a common defect of all Nokia software products. When are they going to hire a real programmer as manager?

I have just learned that WMP in Windows (Win7) is a brilliant synchronizer when it comes to dump down music to the Nokia. You got ti use the USB however to gain time.

If you arrange your albums in folders on your harddrive, call a folder "MusicMP3", and let each album has its own folder under that. Name all songs "01 - Songname" etc. and have a 200x200 pix image of the album front in the same folder, called "Folder.jpg".

Then drag each album you want to the "N8 Massmemory" and a synclist with songs will appear in WMP, and you just pres "synchronize" and off they go.

Why you HAVE to do this in Win/ is that the OVI app is not able to delete your added albums in its own environment, NO... it deletes also your albums yo uhave saved for 10 years and is very valuable for you. At the same time.  Just an example:

An Album with Billy Cobham has no title entered in the tracks. So it shows up in OVI "Untitled Album", when dragged there from harddrive.
Well I do not want that so I try to edit it in OVI. OPTIMIST!!!!   Edit in a Nokia app? MP3 data?  Way to advanced.   So I have to edit it in WMP, it just to rightckick and edit on whatever you like.

Okay, finished with editing of the source material. So I delete the album that showed up wrong, in OVI, and tried to drag the newly edited material back. And...WHAT? It disapperaed.  Deleted from myu harddrive too!!!  By the OVI app.  Good morning....
This is the level of intelligence we have to deal with in OVI.  
No more music handling in OVI from now on. 

Luckly the deleted music was found in the paperbin...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
skitN8

Agree. And you must go by Ovi to use your phone even if you don´t want to.....  RUBBISH is the word

Please use plain text.
Nokitor

I second this totally!!to the nth magnitude

I had it w my 2nd Nok ph. (you may laugh at me, but I miss my first one, the simple blue and white ph, w/o the cam, which is the reason why I bought the 2nd ph) b/c I did the stupid thing to (mis)understand the statement: "Update with OVI software" which appears somewhere in the Suite menus.

The foolish thing on their part is to call it 'update' or 'upgrade', making you to believe that it's a must or so, and so you're on the go with it, and then it's too late.

Never could sign, nor update, it froze, it wasn't clear, but I kept it for the contacts backup mostly. didn't want to pay a buck to the company for it.

Now, I have my 3rd Nok and had dnld the Suite, but this time, seeing the Ovi updating prod, didn't fall in the trap, got suspicious and came here to see this post which was an eye opener. Until now, I thought that it's my fault or something.

The Suite is very friendly, intuitive and downright simple. You click an icon on the Suite main window and the Com window opens instantly almost, w the sync features (when the ph is open w the Bluetooth in my case).  Wonderful.

OVI? Not for me!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nadeem5476

[ Edited ]

you cant send msgs from your contact groups thru this OVI suit.

Moderators notes: Post edited due to inappropriate language

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tobiasra

I fully second the title of this topic.

Tried out OVI a couple of times since I bought my 3720 Classic.

Previously, it used to at least work. But I ditched it anyway because it was a resource hog, it was slower, and had no calendar editing capabilities.

Now, it seems it has changed name to simply Nokia Suite.

And does not work with my 3720 at all, neither with Bluetooth nor USB cable.

Starts to sync, then freezes.

What's worse, uninstalling the software and reinstalling the latest version of PC suite now does not work, either. Communication centre freezes upon startup.

Any solution to this?

Tried PC-suite cleaner, but no luck.

What computer or bluetooth chipset I use does not seem to matter.

Please use plain text.