Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia PC Suite V Nokia Ovi Suite

Nokia PC Suite V Nokia Ovi Suite

PC Platform : Windows XP pro with SP3
Nokia Phone N76
Nokia PC Suite Ver 7.0.9.2
Nokia Photos Ver 1.5.242
Nokia Lifeblog Ver 2.5.224
Nokia Ovi Ver 1.1

Hmmmmmm Where to start ...... Lets start with Ovi Suite - I downloaded this new software on the basis that it was the recommended product in preference to Nokia PC suite which I had been using prior to this download on the 4th Nov 2008.

1. Ovi Suite is NOT a replacement for PC Suite. I have an email from Nokia support telling me so and that its OK to run BOTH sets of software. BUT the POINT of MY email to them was I DO NOT WANT to cluter my PC up with 100s of 'ragtail' Nokia software products - I want all the functionality encapsulated in one product which is why both these products are supposed to do so by NAMING their products ' Nokia xxxx SUITE '

2. I used LIFEBLOG under PC suite extensively. All my SMS text messages are saved and stored because I use this DATA for business communications. SMS is a record just like an email. It is invaluable to me to have an accurate record of ALL my SMS text messages. I was experiencing problems with Lifeblog NOT transfering ALL my SMS messages from the phone to Nokia PC suite. New messages not previously transfered to my PC were not picked up my the Lifeblog software as being needed to be transfered to my computer. I still dont know why it doesnt recognise these messages. Is there some sort of 'flag' put on the message in the phone data ? Why cant I CHOOSE which INDIVIDUAL Messages that I want transfered. AND why cant I set a control to transfer the message from the phone to the PC MORE than ONCE. (For instance I may inadvertantly have deleted a record of an SMS message on Lifeblog but the message is still in the phone memory and I want to transfer that message again - but there is NO way that I can see to do this

3. Lifeblog as a seperate application (add on) to PC Suite was great in is concept BUT under Ovi Suite it NO longer shows as an application in its OWN right but MYSTERIOUSLY it is part of Nokia Photos!!! WHY WHY WHY - what the heck has SMS text messages got to do with Photos ???? I do not know how many BILLIONS of SMS text messages are sent around the world each day using NOKIA phones but I would guarantee that the number of SMS text messages out numbers the number of Photos stored on an individual phone by at least 100,000 to 1 - (ie 100,000 SMS text stored per 1 Photo) SO COME ON Nokia put some priority BACK nto SMS Text message data storage, retrival and dta management

4 Because Ovi Suite is new software (and by the way it CONVERTS Lifeblog SMS text messages before storing them under 'Nokia Photos Timeline' This implies that the file format for Nokia Lifeblog and Ovi Photos Timeline are DIFFERENT and therefore INCOMPATIBLE with each other. There is NO way that I KNOW OF to copy the SMS text messages to Nokia Photos Timeline AND then copy the same messages to Nokia PC Suite Lifeblog. - Why would I want to do that ? - well quite simply if I decide that Ovi Suite is a BAD product then I will want to continue to use Nokia PC Suite Lifeblog WITHOUT loosing ANY stored data.

5 My overriding concern with BOTH products is that I have an ACCURATE and DEFINATIVE record of my SMS text messages. And if you think this is stupid or odd then just think what you would do if you had NO RECORD of IMPORTANT emails. You would be pulling your hair out especially as the MOBILE phone is as important to businesses as is the computer - SO NOKIA please please get your act together. It seems to me that 2 different set of Nokia software programmers are developing 2 DIFFERENT products that supposed to do and achieve the SAME thing for the end USER. WHAT A COMPLETE WASTE OF TALENT AND RESOURCE AND MONEY = GIVE THE USER CHOICE and MANAGEMENT Capabilites OF all THEIR data AND allow THE user TO store, backup AND KEEP AN accutrate record of THEIR PERSONAL information store BOTH on the PC qand on the Nokia Phone. IF it is NOT your mission statment to do this then WHY o WHY do you produce Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Ovi Suite programs - PC to Phone Syncronisation should be effective and accurate and MANAGEABLE for ALL STORED DATA where on the phone OR on the PC - COME ON make your product work for your clients

6 Perhaps one of the most infuriating aspects of bespoke software development is the way software programmers from ALL providers insist upon having background system task loaded into PC memory utilising VITAL PC resouces even if that software program is not being used by the PC user at that precise moment in time. Now that I have loaded OVI Suite if I look at my background system processes on my PC I find that I have multiple Nokia Software programs hogging PC resources and MEMORY even when I am NOT using them - COME ON YOU LAZY programmers there must be a better way to develop your software. After all its OUR MONEY your playing with forcing us to buy MORE memory/harddisk storage space when in actual fact WE DONT NEED IT - AT LEAST give the USER the choice to have these background programs loaded and running or NOT to have them running.

This post is all negative which is a REAL REAL pity but it states the FACTS and NOKIA need to do something about there product implementation - RIGHT NOW

David Parker
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Nokia PC Suite V Nokia Ovi Suite

I totally agree. PC Suite is a horrible product. I have 12,000 messages on my 6500 because they do not appear in PC Suite when I connect. Now it is getting full! To keep a record, I am going to have to buy a new handset!!!!

Horrible software. Untested and under resourced. Nokia should be ashamed of this appalling software which has been poor for years and years.

Shame on you, Nokia.
Please use plain text.

NOKIA, PUT LIFEBLOG ON THE N85!
Please use plain text.
Professor
kamenlitchev

Have never used LifeBlog, but I also agree it is somewhat strange to have it paired with Photos!
Ericsson T10i -> Nokia 7110 -> Siemens C45, C55, M55, M65 -> Nokia 6131, N73, N82 -> HTC Wildfire, Desire HD -> Nokia Lumia 800 -> HTC Desire X -> Lumia 820 -> Sony Xperia SP -> Lumia 925 + Sennheiser CX 500
If I've helped, use the Kudos button to thank
:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

I archived everything with LifeBlog on my N95 and had over 70,000 SMSs, MMSs, Images & Recorded Calls...

When I moved to the E71, this wasn't featured, and Nokia Photos 'apparently' had the same ability to archive messages... I was bitterly disappointed...

I use Best Message Storer now (google for it), and archive my messages in a txt/csv format every so often, but it's nowhere near as nice as Lifeblog :smileysad:

Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Current Phone: HTC Sensation - Android 2.3
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hey guys I got a prob. I recorded a sound clip using the recorder app. on my n95, and Ive been trying to figure out how to transfer it to my lifeblog (im addicted to it) , the only solution that ive found is to do it from the lifeblog in the phone but it only lets you record for 1min, my clip is about 3mins... please I could use a little help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Re: Nokia photos[PC] Vs Nokia lifeblog [PC]

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

The tilte should have been Nokia Lifeblog vs Nokia Photos  instead of Nokia PC Suite V Nokia Ovi Suite

First of all few things :-

As far as i know [Mainly for NSeries handsets only] Prior to Nokia N 78, earlier handsets has got Lifeblog on the devices for eg Nokia N 73, Nokia N 95, Nokia N 95 8 GB etc., From Nokia N 78 onwards on the device, lifeblog application was been replaced by Photos(On device).  Later Nokia also slowly replaced Nokia Lifeblog PC application into Nokia Photos PC application. [ Nokia Photos has got few more options like Maps etc., where you can define the tag of an image and same can be viewed on Maps]

Coming back to the issue, Though Nokia photos says, Nokia E 71 is compatible with Nokia photos, it is not completly so,  as well as some of Series 40 devices.  Nokia E 71 has not got either Lifeblog or Photos on its phone as like other NSeries phones has got either lifeblog / photos on the device, Nokia E 71's image/video entires are transferred to Nokia photos PC Application whereas, SMS/MMS of Nokia E 71 cannot be synched to Nokia photos pc application due to this limitation.  This applies to Series 40 phones as well, though phone's images/videos can be synched with Nokia Photos PC application, since those devices lack lifeblog/photos on their phone side, SMS/MMS cannbot be synched with Nokia Lifeblog/Photos PC application.

Regarding the 3 min clip from recorder application, what you do is through pc, import that clip to Nokia Lifeblog/Nokia Photos PC application. In Nokia Photos, File > Files from PC option is available, if you can transfer that 3 min clipping from device to PC, you can import, i have not try this option but please let me know if it can be done. [The sound clipping should be .amr file]

Message Edited by cricfancy on 21-May-2009 10:22 AM
Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia photos[PC] Vs Nokia lifeblog [PC]

Still no greater resolution. Have just spent some time playing with Ovi. Pretty ... but not very functional. Sigh. Have tried all sorts of solutions and downloaded tons (OK, about 4 or 5) of programs trying to get a functionality that my ORIGINAL NOKIA PC Suite from 7 or 8 years ago could achieve, but now cannot.

OPM II used to be able to archive, read, write and manipulate SMS offline and restore individual message, but not sure if Oxycube can do the same. Anyone know? Oxygen aren't replying to this one.

Surely it cannot be that hard?

Right now the unpleasant alternative is to store each message individually off my computer, but it strips away the user name, and date/time sent tag, which makes it worthless for actual reference purposes. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I downloaded the ovi map 3 version onto my e71. Now I'm in great dispare. I am heavily dependant upon the navigation program but the ovi version 3 maps is a complete disaster. The maps are mainly incomplete and have huge sections missing. You are give a temporary site license but the maps only really work when you go online with your mobile, even then the above problem arrises. I am trying to reinstall the vesion 2 map but not sure how to, any tips?

Mohammed Akhtar

Please use plain text.

Agree with first post. I have used lifeblog extensively on N95 & laptop with few problems but Nokia photos what a disaster. Luckily I downloaded this product to a backup laptop to see how it worked leaving lifeblog & pcsuite on my main laptop because despite importing lifeblog data lost all tags; notes & sms got lost in translation; timeline only operates so far back; slideshow doesn't work; video's looking for latest windows media player (not a real issue) but the loss of tags is a real concern because I wouldn't want to recreate these for thousands of photos. I was about to get a new N97 sticking with Nokia because I liked lifeblog/ pc suite & everything synced well but now I'm not so sure. I think I'll see what else is out there. Nokia should pay attention to these & similar posts if they want to survive in the longer term.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Does the Nokia Ovi Suite Work with Nokia 3110c? I'll install it if it does.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 

Please use plain text.

I have installed ovi pc suit and updated my firmware...My contacts and messages are also formated along with this...I have sync them (contacts and messages)  before I updated the firmware..now i am unable to put back my contacts into my phone..can you please answer my question..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
cricfancy

Hi,

As you have synched your data with Nokia OVI Suite already, now make the settings so that [only for first time now], so that nokia ovi suite's data are synched with phone.  Once sync is over, you can then make it to sync on both ways[or as per your wish]

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

recovering data lost by Ovi Suite

I use Win XP (pro) with a Nokia e90.  Last month, I received a notification to download and install Ovi Suite.  Assuming it to be the latest update of PC Suite I did so, and synchronised my phone with it.  As I was unhappy with the interface, I reverted to PC Suite, still thinking it just a different interface for the same software.  I was then informed that some 200 entries had been modified.  I do not know what all of these were, but it seems that the synchronisation process truncated many of the more detailed Notes fields in my MSO Outlook Contacts.

As I need to restore that information, I wrote to Nokia customer support asking for help.  As they have not replied, I would appreciate any suggestions for restoring the data.  My harddrive was backed-up before the Ovi Suite sync: is there an easy way of merging the backed-up data with the current data?  (In particular, I want to be given the choice of which entry should have precedence, as I've updated some entries in the past month.)

Thank you in advance,

Colin Rowat

Please use plain text.

I don't know what this garbage (Ovi) is that Nokia have installed on my primary machine, I don't know whether it supersedes the garbage they installed last time (PC Suite - which is still there), and I don't have enough faith in Nokia as a software firm to uninstall it without fearing for my data. Then again, I'm afraid to leave it there too - it's already started creating blank calendar entries.

Has anyone had any luck uninstalling Ovi Suite without losing everything in Outlook?

I'm using an E71 and Windows 7.

Note to Nokia software guys: this, and your unusable S60 email client, is why you are losing the business market to RIM. Buy a 5 year old Palm on eBay, copy Palm Desktop, and stop throwing overweight consumer bloatware at us.

Please use plain text.

I used to have the odd issue with the Map software, searches were difficult if you used your local knowledge and looked for a street in the widely known suburb it has always been in only to discover that Map software disagrees and has it listed under a different suburb, that problem is solved now, thank you nokia, i am now no longer able to use the maps due to latest phone software update, starting to go round in circles and fear there may be another phone insure claim soon if the flying capabilities of the E71 do not meet the crash specs of your standard 747
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
benbird7

[ Edited ]
Well done on the RANDOM SPURTS OF capitals, it does make for very SMOOTH reading.

Also may be WORTH ensuring that the title OF YOUR POST was correct and on TOPIC on what you have TITLED it, as another forum member HAS SAID, it may be worth naming it Lifeblog vs Nokia Photo's.

I must say PC suite has always been buggy for me, only just recently has it been fairly smooth in the operation of connecting my N97 via bluetooth sending sms etc. As for Ovi Suite I installed it and promptly uninstalled it within about 5 mins after it was eating up all my system resources on a 3.8ghz, 8gb of ram machine with Windows 7 op sys on it (yes I did run Ovi suite in compatibility mode with both xp and vista but to no avail!)
Message Edited by benbird7 on 18-Jan-2010 09:51 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
QuinceARJxxx

For transferring files, browsing, SMS I prefer to use PC Suite. Multimedia files Ovi Suite will be better. 

Al Gore didn't invented the Internet.
If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, You win Forever!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: recovering data lost by Ovi Suite

I have now contacted Nokia two more times since my 9 January posting, asking for their help restoring the data from my backed up harddrive that Ovi Suite lost.  On both occasions, I receive an acknowledgement of my call, and am told that I will receive a reply within 48 hours.  I have yet to receive a reply.  Thus, it seems to me that the instruction must be to not even acknowledge the possibility of data loss, and concentrate on discouraging users until they give up.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: recovering data lost by Ovi Suite

Hey, you're complaining about not being able to restore since you installed OVI. I have not been able to complete even a single backup of my N95 8GB. Using USB connection it takes over 10 hours to come to about 30% of the contents of my phone (which is not even fully loaded). Then I have to disconnect it again, because I need to take it with me when I go from home...

Making a full backup using PC Suite took a long time, but at least PC suite got it done overnight. Ovi's backup 'feature' is useless!

Please use plain text.