Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Suite 3.2.100 installed - SMS are gone

Advisor
Diablo89

Guys i don't remember if have done the backup before or after installing nokia suite 3.2.If i have the backup in nokia suite folder means that i have done the backup with the new version either if it is in ovi folder means that i used the older version as in the image???So if i have done a backup before 3.2 with nokia pc suite 7.1 i can restore the text messages???

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

@ParlabaneAgain

@mayouymoussa

@wsku

Could you please provide us the system properties and log files?

Please follow the instructions to collect and submit the log files via this link http://tiny.cc/ja40z

Thank you!

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ParlabaneAgain

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

[ Edited ]

Thank you! We have got you error report.

Could you please provide the log files?

They will be very useful because we do not know yet exact scenario why it is happened in your environment and not happened with other users.

You can use link http://tiny.cc/ja40z.

Please pay attention to section 12. Select the option b) and then in section 14 you will see the instructions for collecting the log files.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ParlabaneAgain

@magovoru

How would I reproduce an update from Ovi Suite to Nokia Suite? There is no way to install an older version as the installer always picks the latest Suite version from the internet!

But even if that would be possible - do you really expect me to go through all this again?

I could try to reproduce this on another system where Ovi Suite version 3.0.0.284 is installed. But for unknown reasons it does not offer the "Software-Updates" menu entry (see attached file). And I do not want to attach my phone to this system as nasty things happen all the time when you do that.

The only reason I solved this manually rather quickly is, that a few months back a new Ovi Suite version had disbanded all my messages already. This happened when the suite switched to the sqlite-database. I spent quite some effort to transfer the messages manually.

As far as I can see, lots or maybe all Ovi Suite Users (running a Windows system not with admin user) will loose all messages that are not on the phone. I have lost messages regularly in the past with Nokia software (thinking back when Nokia LifeBlog came and went away). Sorry to bring this to you but I am very frustrated with this software especially when it comes to updates!

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

@ParlabaneAgain

Sorry for those problems with sms messages.

You can provide us the log files with your current setup.

We need to understand why sms wasn't copied automatically in your environment like it should be.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ParlabaneAgain

I will try to explain it in other words:

1. In order to create the log files I would need to reproduce the error after switching Nokia Suite into log mode

2. The error occurs when updating from Ovi Suite to Nokia Suites

3. Nokia installer does not suppport installation of older versions of the software.

4. So it is not possible to go back and recreate the original situation and then reproduce the update process

Summary: The way described in the link does not help providing the requested log files.

I really wonder if the software will improve so problems like that simply do not happen so regularly anymore ...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ChilledCupCake

tat happen to me too! i uninstalled it then reinstalled the old ovi! lucky i hav the setup :smileyvery-happy: i tried installing witout uninstalling the new one.didnt work.uninstall then install and WaaLaa :smileyvery-happy:D err dont blam me if it didnt work :x and save a copy b4 uninstalling it.just in case. hope it helps !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MiguelB

[ Edited ]

Also happened to me with Nokia Suite 3.2.100. It's the second time this happens, the first one in an update around July, if I'm not mistaken. Major bug! This should NEVER have happened. Data is the most important thing in a digital world.

I can confirm that my old messages are stored in a MDataStore.db3 file inside F:\Users\Mita\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store\DataBase. It's a mess, because I have database files in 3 different places now:

F:\Users\Mita\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store\DataBase

F:\Users\Mita\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Suite\Messages\Database

F:\Users\Mita\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Suite\Messages\Database

As a developer myself, I find all this mess inadmissible. I think the least you should do, is provide a tool to fix this problem, even if it's a "power user" tool that gets the content from the old SQL file and merges it with the present one.

Please use plain text.
hitesh_ydv

[ Edited ]

@magovoru, i created backup of in nokia suite 3.2.100 and after that all my messages were gone in my phone(nokia E5) and now i cant restore messages. i restored other contents like contacts etc . there is no issue of ovi suite bcz i created ma backup in nokia suite.

plz nokia give me solution.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cart00nist

I backed up my nbu file from nokia suite 3.2.100 and tried restoring from the same nokia suite 3.2.100 after 10 minutes.. still can't get sms messages back.. any improvement on restoring yet???

Please use plain text.
PPDas

Same issue faced by me today.
Downloaded & installed Nokia suite 3.2.100.
Connected & synced.
Took a complete backup(.nbu) twice just to be on the safer side.
Updated my E63 Handset software as per alert.
Update completed successfully without any errors.
Here comes the prob now >
Nokia Suite cant restore all data from the backup(.nbu)
Trouble only with sms & emails.
Lost all very important text messages & emails.
Should have checked this forum before updating.
Nokia is not reliable as before and has started to suck.
Even the helpline sucks.
I've lost very valuable data.
What the hell Nokia ??? Instead of connecting people you've been screwing people with faulty / product updates.
its been 3 months almost since the issue was reported.
when will the customers receive the fix ?? at all ??
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fredyp

I'm facing exactly the same problem!

What a shame ... Nokia...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Fredyp

Hi guys,

I've just updated to the latest Nokia Suite 3.3 ( www.nokia.com/nokiasuite) and the problem has gone!!!

Finally I've got my SMS back!

Good luck for you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kylie2455

Re: Nokia Suite 3.2.100 installed - SMS are gone - solved

I have never logged onto a chat room thing like this before but I really wanted to say thanks to ParlabanaAgain and other posts below (from Nokia phone users - not Nokia staff!!).  I was having problems finding where my computer was storing my messages (that were saved within Nokia Suite) as I needed to transfer them to a new laptop as my old comp needed to be restored to factory settings.  I did try contacting Nokia and I am still waiting (2 days later) for them to ring me back .... somehow I think I will be waiting a while. But thanks to you guys I don't have to bother with Nokia staff!! It is rather worrying that they don't know their own systems.

Thanks again!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Phil21

FredyP, thanks for the tip. I too was able to get my SMSes back after upgrading to 3.3. and restoring the original backup file made with 3.2.100.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Shivam20

Hey guys! I solved this problem in a simple way: Just download the old version of Nokia Ovi Suite, go the root directory, and paste the .DB3 file there(if u have backup). You will retrieve all the messages. Transfer all the messages on your phone>install nokia suite latest and transfer messages to the it..

be careful while downloading nokia ovi suite! The installer name shouldnt be nokiawebinstaller, it will prompt you for the update!! The name should be nokia ovi suite..

Please use plain text.