Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” mess...

Advisor
rogeroverin
Accepted Solution

Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” message

When I updated to Nokia Suite 3.2.100 using Ovisuite and my Nokia N8 connected to my PC with USB Cable CA-179 I received the message on screen: “Something’s gone wrong.  It seems that some program files of Nokia Suite are missing.  To fix this, please uninstall Nokia Suite and download the latest version of the application from www.nokia.com/ovisuite”.  My firmware version is 022.014.   I uninstalled Nokia Suite using Add/Remove Programs and reinstalled it using the program downloaded from the Nokia website as instructed.   I then received the same message and this also triggered a Windows Update which required that I connect my N8 to my PC to install this update.   The Windows Update failed, with an error message 80070103, which indicated that something was trying to install an older driver than one which was already installed.    I repeated the process but this time with my Firewall and Anti-Virus (Norton 360 v5.1) disabled.   I received the same message and the same Windows Update was triggered and failed to install.    I then read some of the posts on here and uninstalled the 4 files: Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver, Nokia Suite, PC Connectivity Solution and Windows Driver Package – Nokia pcsmcfd (08/22/2008 7.0.0.0).    I reinstalled Nokia Suite with my Firewall and Anti-Virus disabled.  When I connected my phone with the USB cable all the drivers were loaded and as part of the process the same Windows Update was triggered, but this time it installed itself successfully.   However Nokia Suite still shows the same “Something’s gone wrong” message when I go to check for phone updates.  It doesn’t show this message if I don’t connect the phone.    I checked some other discussions here and uninstalled the Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver (7.1.48.0) which had been installed as part of Nokia Suite and installed the latest cable driver for my CA-179 using the download from the Nokia website.   This has installed version 7.1.34.0 of the Cable Driver.  Connecting my phone in Nokia Suite I receive the same “Something’s gone wrong” message.   It looks as though Nokia Suite will check for updates to itself, but when I try to do so for the N8 Phone I just receive the “Something’s gone wrong” message.   

This presumably shuts me out of any future updates using Nokia Suite.    Software Update on the phone says that everything is up-to-date, but there have been previous differences between this and the update using Ovisuite.

Has anybody any suggestions as to how I get Nokia Suite working completely properly?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
concorde672

Re: Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” message

I have the same firmware version and exectly the same problem. My pc operating system is vista

I agree with you that there has been differenced between ovi and phone update. Was looking forward to update to Belle!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogeroverin

Thanks Concorde672.  I thought I would not be the only one with this problem.   My PC is also running on Vista, 32-bit.  I was also looking forward to updating to the next firmware version to solve another problem where it has not been possible to load the paid-for versions of QuickOffice and Adobe Reader with firmware 022.014.   I have had to compromise with the free versions.   I think the solution may be to uninstall the 4 main files again, but also to delete various Nokia and Common Nokia folders on the PC and then reinstall everything with anti-virus and firewall disabled.    I note several similar discussions where people receive error codes instead of "Something's gone wrong" messages, but the problem seems to be basically the same.   However I will wait to see if any advice appears first as to the course of action to take.  

Please use plain text.
nokie39

After “Something’s gone wrong” message N8 would NOT restart!

Please, I desperately need Help!!  When trying to install important updates using Nokia Suite update, got the lost connection message several times and restarted the phone following the instructions exactly.  Then I suddenly got the Something's gone wrong message and the message of reinstalling nokia Suite.  But my problem is even worse than any other discussion that I seen here.  My phone would not completely restart!!!  Just hangs at the Nokia banner and nothing is working!  Have press the power and home buttons until it vibrates 3 times and still notheing.  HELP!  Help!  The phone was working perfectly before this now can't get it to do anything.  Nokia software updater or Nokia suite would not even detect the phone so that I can restore the backup files.  Nothing is working!  Now I have a phone i cannot use and it's not even mine!! help, if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help.  thanks so much.

Please use plain text.
john7237

I have the same problem nokia told me to uninstall nokia suite witch I have done over and over again but no luck does anybody have any ideas as nokia don't know and its their site!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Hi rogeroverin,

Have a look at the troubleshoot in this thread and click "Go to solution" and see if that solves your problem.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogeroverin

Thanks haZey, but it didn’t work.  Here’s what I did.

I looked at the thread and entered the DOS instruction at the Command Prompt as indicated in the solution.    Then:-

1. I uninstalled the four programmes Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver, Nokia Suite, PC Connectivity Solution and Windows Driver Package – Nokia pcsmcfd (08/22/2008 7.0.0.0).

2. I cleaned the Registry.

3. I deleted any leftover folders in the Program Files “Nokia” folder and any leftover folders in the Program Files, Common Files, “Nokia” folder.

4. I rebooted the PC.

5. I disabled the Firewall and Anti-Virus.

6. As per the solution to the thread you gave me, manually installed PCCS.msi from the temporary Nokia folder, the location to where it had been unpacked.

7. I connected my N8 and some device driver software was installed.

8. A Windows Update “Nokia – Other hardware – Nokia N8-00” appeared and was successfully installed.

9. More device driver software was found and installed (9 drivers).

10. A Windows Update appeared again, same one as before, but from previous experience this would have failed so I ignored it.

11. I checked what had been installed, which was Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.32.69, PC Connectivity Solution 11.5.13.0, Windows Driver Package – Nokia pccsmcfd (08/22/2008 7.0.0.0).

12. I reinstalled the latest Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver for my CA 179 cable which updated the cable driver to version 7.1.34.0.

13. This then installed more device driver software (10 drivers).

14. The same Windows Update (Nokia etc.) appeared yet again and installed successfully.

15. I disconnected the phone from the PC and carried out the Nokia Suite installation.

16. I checked what software had now been installed, which was Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.48.0, Nokia Suite 3.2.100.0, PC Connectivity Solution 11.5.13.0, Windows Driver Package – Nokia pccsmcfd (08/22/2008 7.0.0.0).

17. I re-enabled the Anti-Virus and Firewall and then rebooted the computer, as instructed by Nokia Suite (not had that happen before).

18. I opened Nokia Suite which requested connection of the phone.

19. This then installed more device driver software (10 drivers).

20. The same Windows Update (Nokia etc.) appeared yet again but failed to install successfully.

21. I tried to install the “Latest Driver” for my USB cable, but this failed as the driver loaded (7.1.48.0) was newer than the required “latest” driver 7.1.34.0 downloaded from the Nokia website.

22. I uninstalled Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.48.0 and installed the “latest” one 7.1.34.0.

23. I reconnected the phone, which prompted the installation of another 10 drivers and required a number of searches of Windows Update to find them (not had that happen before).

24. The same Windows Update (Nokia etc.) appeared yet again but failed to install on each of the occasions I tried it.

25. I checked for updates in Nokia Suite but again received exactly the same message “Something’s gone wrong”, so after 4 hours I was back where I started except that the Windows Update for the phone wouldn’t install this time round.

I hope someone from Nokia is reading this.    This was a routine update but in the process of carrying out the above I have had to use DOS commands at the Command Prompt to try out the possible solution.   There must be a simpler solution and I don’t see how this can be an isolated case.   Anybody any ideas please ?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Have the same problem and I was told that Nokia is working on it. But I find it weird that it is on N8 only and that the Nokia Suite Graduated beta stage with this major problem... If it happens that Belle gets released soon, how will we update then?

Check the post here

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogeroverin

Update.  I’ve investigated the indicated solutions, thanks, but none of them has worked.    In the meantime the Windows Update (Nokia etc.) had installed successfully.     The N8 now indicates that a device software update is available, version number 025.007, but that this can only be installed using my PC.    Nokia Suite still gives me the same “Something’s gone wrong” message whenever I connect my N8 to my PC and ask Nokia Suite to check for updates, preventing me from getting this new update which may possibly solve the problem.    Alternatively perhaps Nokia Suite 3.3, when available, may solve the problem.   Unfortunately there’s no error code to indicate what might be wrong, nor are there any clues as to what software might be missing - .dll files for instance – which might enable the problem to be resolved.     I’ve just repeated the process of uninstallation and re-installation with the anti-virus and firewall turned on and turned off, but it made no difference.  I’ve also used the paid-for Revo software to uninstall, as suggested by one of the other discussions, but still get the same end result – “Something’s gone wrong” and no access to phone updates which can only be installed using my PC.      I notice that a lot of the discussions refer to the “Something’s gone wrong” message but with slightly differing reports.    Does anybody from Nokia ever read these posts ?     I’m not wasting any further time on this, just have to accept that it doesn’t work properly.  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MaverickCT

I hope Nokia read this

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate PC and a Windows Vista Ultimate Laptop

On the Windows 7 PC i get the "Somethings gone wrong" message

BUT on the Vista laptop the installation goes through without a problem so it looks like the upgrade for PC Suite (OVI) has not been tested properly on a Windows 7 system

I similarly get an error on the Phone upgrade for a N97 on the PC but on the laptop it works fine

Over to you Nokia

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mohan_srini

ovi store blocked when download or automaticaly switched off
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
noddie5800

Have you tried running Nokia Suite as administrator? (Right click, "Run as Administrator")

That worked for me this morning.

NoddyN8
Please use plain text.
testudocc

SOLVED - Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” message

I concur with what 'noddie5800' said: Run Nokia Suite as administrator!

Had same errors, failing on Windows Update “Nokia – Other hardware – Nokia C6-00” - not to mention I couldn't get Internet connection via my phone on Nokia Suite v.3.2.100

After launching Nokia Suite as administrator, added the Nokia device (had removed it just previously) it created a working "Standard Modem" and connectivity via phone (C6-00; v. 41.0.010) was restored.

In addition to all these goodies, the mystery Windows Update entry disappeared from bothering me! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogeroverin

Re: SOLVED - Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” message

Thanks for the various suggestions, but none of them has made any difference.  I have set Nokia Suite to run as administrator, but I still get exactly the same message that “Something’s gone wrong” and that software is missing.   I have also loaded Nokia Suite 3.3.49 Beta to see if this solved any problems.  This installed Cable Driver version 7.1.69 which did not match my CA-179 Cable.   I uninstalled the Connectivity Cable Driver and connected the phone without reinstalling the correct cable driver.   The Windows Update was triggered and installed successfully.   Then drivers were installed automatically giving me Cable Driver version 7.1.32.   The Windows Update was triggered again and this time failed to install.   I then manually reinstalled the Cable Driver version 7.1.34 from the Nokia website as being the correct one for my CA-179 Cable.   The Windows Update was triggered again, installed itself successfully, and asked me to reboot my PC to complete the process.     With the N8 connected the Windows Update was triggered yet again after I had rebooted my PC, again it installed successfully and asked me to reboot my PC to complete the process.   Upon rebooting, with the N8 connected the Windows Update was not triggered again and I received the message that Windows was up to date.   Opening Nokia Suite again, the same message “Something’s gone wrong” appeared but again, only when I connect my phone to the PC, which is where I started with the problem.    So I have Nokia Suite 3.3.49 Beta running as administrator perfectly as long as I don’t connect the N8.    When I do so and then check for updates I get the error message and can’t get the firmware update 025.007 which the phone tells me is available but can only be updated using my PC.    Nokia Suite will allow me to update maps and back the phone up but the failure seems to be confined to the software update feature using my PC.     Is this the software that is missing – the software update program perhaps removed or omitted as part of the update to Nokia Suite 3.2.100 ?

Please use plain text.
timster2009

Re: SOLVED - Nokia Suite Update – “Something’s gone wrong” message

After having tried REPEATEDLY on a number of different machines, all running windows 7, and getting the exact same result as above. I am giving up. I have tried to uninstall/reinstall nokia suite. I have tried restore factory settings I even tried delete and restore to factory settings, I have tried running nokia suite as admin, I have tried disabling downloading of updates, I have tried everything I can think of but every time I have performed an update it gets to the very last part of installing the very last update and then "Oops! Something went wrong. Please go to tools>software Updates and download again."

I'm going to a nokia care point to get my handset fixed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogeroverin

Update.  Nokia Suite 3.3.49 Beta found new update to Nokia Suite 3.3.84 Beta which it then downloaded and installed.  Connecting the phone via USB produced exactly the same message as before “Something’s gone wrong”, when asking Nokia Suite to check for phone updates.   Another discussion suggested a solution might have been to remove all the Nokia software and the Bluetooth software and reinstall them, Nokia first and then the Bluetooth software, with Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled.   So I went through the same uninstall/reinstall process as before, which installed:-

Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.69.0

PC Connectivity Solution 11.5.29.0

Windows Driver Package – Nokia 7.0.0.0

Nokia Suite 3.3.84 Beta

Connecting my N8 via USB installed 10 drivers and then the Windows Update was found, but failed to install, giving error 80070103 which indicates a driver version error.    I uninstalled Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.69.0 and reinstalled version 7.1.34.0 as this is the latest driver for my CA-179 USB Cable.    Connecting the phone installed 10 drivers again.   The Windows Update was found again and installed successfully, requiring the usual reboot.    After rebooting the PC, connecting the phone, the Windows Update was found yet again and installed successfully.   Opening Nokia Suite and checking for software updates I still receive the message “Something’s gone wrong” and that software for Nokia Suite is missing.  This message does not appear if the phone is not connected.  Firmware update 025.007 is available according to the phone, but inaccessible through Nokia Suite.   I am running Nokia Suite as an Administrator.   I have altered the Firewall settings from “Auto” to “Allow”, as suggested in other discussions.    Since loading Nokia Suite 3.2.100 I have had the problem, loading first 3.3.49 Beta and now 3.3.84 Beta has not solved it.    Any more ideas anyone please ?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Running as Administrator doesn't work.

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
djdewet

I have exactly the same problem, running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on Dell Laptop.  Have tried all the suggestions on this page, but still the same problem.  'Something's gone wrong, etc'  Everything else seems to work fine, except for the SOftware update which gives this error.  Have tried V2.1.100 and also V3.3.86, which both give the same problems.  Have tried with both USB and Bluetooth.  Had previous versions of Nokia Suite installed before, and everything worked fine then.  I have a Nokia N8-00.  Anybody have any other ideas.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hi007

Hello, I was updating my Nokia Ovi Suite Version 3.1 to Nokia Suite Version 3.2 through my Ovi Suite as an update was available. I did not uninstall the previous version via add remove program.I was installing the new version over the previous version of Nokia Ovi Suite. I am running Windows XP Home 32 bit. My Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is updated to software version 60.0.003 which is the latest. After updating the Nokia suite to Version 3.2  I tried connecting my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic to my Dell Laptop.

Nokia suite did not detect my Nokia 5800XM. After sever attempts to connect i gave up. I tried uninstalling the Nokia Suite. It partially uninstalled leaving behind the Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver, PC Connectivity Solution. I could not uninstall the same as the source file could not be located on my laptop. I tried force uninstalling with REVO Uninstaller. It helped remove them alongwith some registry keys. I tried reinstalling Nokia Suite 3.2 after a reboot but was prevented with an error message saying, "Something's Gone Wrong, the older version of Nokia Ovi Suite cannot be removed." I tried reinstalling the previous version of Ovi Suite but was prevented showing option only to repair and/or uninstall. I tried both possibilities but was  returned with error 1610, error 1612. I tried installing the windows installer 4.5 thinking that could be the problem but to no avail. I tried installing in safe mode and with administrator rights and even manually deleted all leftover nokia files and most of the registry's. I could not delete some Nokia registries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ SYSTEM AS I WAS DENIED ACCESS. 

Now i am left with no option to attach my phone to my PC. I cannot install Nokia Suite. Please help me.

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
rogk

This worked for me (Windows 7 64-bit):

1. Download and run Microsoft Fix It (the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility is no longer available). Choose the "Diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically" troubleshooter and locate the PC Connectivity Solution. Uninstall it.

2. Go to your Control Panel -> Programs and Features. If the PC Connectivity Solution is still on the list, uninstall it from there as well.

3. Run the Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe as-per normal. It should now install.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.