Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: OVI Installation and installation parameters

Contributor
PeteJ

OVI Installation and installation parameters

I am afraid everyone ever tryied to install ovi in corporate network knows it stinks. Maybe the problem is not OVI itself, but total lack of SUPPORT from NOKIA about installation options, parameters, installation sequences... (yes Nokia web is full of nice PR stuff, but professional info is somewhere in the black hole)

After spending half a day searching for some info about deploy OVI on SCCM/Altiris/(eg.) i must say docummentation for OVI probably never existed, or is so good hidden in this so called "support" i cant find it. If i compare it with concurrent/other softwares support i mus say, NOKIA IT professional support is poor on the web.

If i face the problem of creating package of OVI for corporate deployment i have numerous problems.

Anyway, i have found several installation parameters that may help to some of us:

-installation to optional targetfolder (you may use your own path)

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /TARGET="D:\Program Files\OVI"

-silent installation

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /SILEN´T="1"

-extract installer exe to desired folder (you may use your own path)

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /U="c:\extracted"

-disable Autorun - one of these may work (not tested - if anyone succeeds here, please post it)

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /D="AUTORUN"

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /DISABLE="AUTORUN"

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /DISABLEOPTIONS="AUTORUN"

i wasnt able yet to disable AutoUpdates using commant line parameter, but there is an workaround if you (after installation) delete file C:\program files\Nokia\Nokia OVI Suite\CommonUpdateChecker.dll

And you guys in NOKIA, wake up and do us a favour creating some USEFUL pdf with all installation parameters, as running Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /? doesnt help, and do not forget to put it to the very TOP of the OVI SUPPORT, mark it RED and Uppercase, please.

..if you cant beat them, join them
Please use plain text.
irrelevant

Plz more information about the installation parameters would be nice.

Please use plain text.
irrelevant

So noone has anyidea of the installation parameters for Nokia Ovi Suite? Would need the switch for disabling auto start and auto update to go along with that silent install.

Please use plain text.
irrelevant

Bump.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeteJ

disable auto start = disable autorun (see above)

i had a good results with command line Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /SILENT=1 /DISABLE=”AUTOUPDATE”,”AUTORUN”

-    Disable updates by removing CommonUpdateChecker.dll file from %PROGRAMFILES%\Nokia\Nokia Ovi Suite folder - otherwise it will keep autoupdating (http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=1910 )

Please use plain text.
irrelevant

Hi,

Tried to install with command line: Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /SILENT=1 /DISABLE=”AUTOUPDATE”,”AUTORUN”

But it still didn't disable the Autorun. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit OS.

The deleting of the .dll helped for the updating tho.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeteJ

sorry I cant help more as I feel as half-blinded in a pack of blind men in the field of this "wonderful" nokia ovi suite. anyway i think there might be some problems with integration to 64bit systems (all the packagers know its a true) and as i saw before also buildto-build. I have done my package and all woked with 32bit systems and 64bit too. But the most I am surprised by Nokia techstuff as they just dont care. If i did it that way in my job i would fly far far away in a moment.
Please use plain text.
irrelevant

Araghggas, the problem I had was with **bleep** wrong "-marks. Somehow when I copypasted them from web site they came all wrong. Should write my command lines myself ;:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Oneiros

Another thing you can do to disable autoupdate is to just uninstall the "Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater" after installation.

Search for it under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" (or "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall on 64 bit machines) in the registry, to find out the CLSID. In version 3.1.1.80 of the Ovi Suite it should be "{A8F7FCEF-3CA6-4CE9-8FEA-8BB18F8686F0}". Then you can silently uninstall it using the command "MsiExec.exe /X{A8F7FCEF-3CA6-4CE9-8FEA-8BB18F8686F0} /Qn".

Does anybody know how to change the language for a silent installation? I could use the /U option to unpack the exe file and then install all components individually using the usual ways for MSI files, but it would be fine if there were a parameter to do this when installing the complete exe file with the silent option.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yukilin

I want a option to bypass os version check!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi there,

Anyone found a solution to select the appropriate language as Nokia PC-Suite isn't suporting any more the latest devices like the C2-xx series

As a corporate policy I need to install language pack English US

tnx

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lparis70

Hi folks,

I think I have found the solution for the installation path trouble:

Actually, the parameters recommended on this post are not wrong. The problem is that the parameters must be sent "through" the Install shield .EXE to the internal setup for nokia suite.

So, straight to the point, i got the installation done using the following command line:

C:\>Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe /v "/TARGET=E:\Nokia"

Note: the /v switch is a command line parameter for Installshield. It tells to installer: "send the following text as command line for the REAL application installer inside Installshield installer.

Hope this can help someone.

That's all.

Please use plain text.
CueT

Hi Iparis70 and everyone

Would be great if you could break that down into what those of us who aren't computer savvy can understand. How and where do I even get to write the suggested command line?

Running Windows 7, 64bit and just can't get Nokia Suit 3.2 to install. Unfortunately for after multiple update failure through Nokia Ovi Suite, I uninstalled Ovi Suite and now have nothing to connect my phone to my PC.

The installation fails and informs me to download the latest version which is exactly what I have downloaded, a countless times.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
CueT

Tried the command prompt suggested by Iparis70 but still no resolution!

Nokia Team SOS!!!
Please use plain text.
DiniMueter

Yeah, good work Nokia, when you want, that consultants never recommend Nokia in business environments. What for Hobby programmers are working on your site? Just a little "How to deploy" would be nice. But what can I find on your site? Just another Buzzwording and **bleep**-Bingoing.

Well, that was it, we now have decided to never ever allow a Nokia in our company. The problem with this **bleep** piece of Software is not since a week or two, no its about years...

Hopefully, nokia will only sell WP-Phones, so they sync with zune, its not really better, but better documented, or well, it is documented.

For any installation prcedures, please leave a message :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

I was on air port and i use OVI suit to connect to internet and then suddenly update message came and suit refused to start.  How the hell i am suppose to update the suit with no internet connection?.  Do OVI programers have any BRAINS or they are just self centered MORONS.  No wonder nobody use NOKIA smart phones in united states.

btw, it cost me $50 for 500mb pack from AT&T pay as you go and i really don't want to pay $10 to update perfectly working OVI suit.

who ever prepare this policy FIRE THE DAMN IDIOT.

Please use plain text.
Employee

This document was made for PC Suite, but most of the parameters still work. http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_PC_Suite_installation_eng.pdf

Btw. You can't anymore disable automatic updates by deleting commonupdatechecker.dll since its presence is checked on startup. If it can't be loaded, Nokia Suite will ask user to repair and suite will close down.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeteJ

well, that's just the worst solution of all. as Nokia OVI Suite is often deployed in corporate environment where NO UPDATES is a MUST - this solution makes it impossible to use Nokia OVI Suite in there (I mean in corporate environment, but probably you guys in Nokia do not need this segment of market, we can see teenagers love your cells - yes, I am sarcastic here).

As I can see you just do not understand customers needs, I am going to try to explain it a bit.

The reason for denying updates is simple - mostly users using the computers in corporate environment have not that high access level to be able to install application, company wants to be sure the users wont install software on their own (business reasons, licensing reasons, etc.). Updates - if necessary, are deployed by WSUS or as new package of OVI Suite replacing old one via ALTIRIS or SCCM solution (or other if available) - fairly said I NEVER heard of anyone deploying OVI Suite via AD in corporate environment with 15000 and more seats.

Nevermind, most of our customers see it and are widely migrating from using Nokia cellulars to other suppliers (we recognized it about a year ago and its more and more significant), mostly to Apple with their iTunes (as all customer needs is his/her documents and communication safe and mobile - and updating iTunes to newer version is easy compared with Nokia OVI Suite) as that's what customer needs - to be able to update firmware and data (documents, e-mails, calendar items, ...) in their corporate mobile via their corporate notebook/desktop.

Also big customers do not wish their users be able to download tons of megas of data one by one and install it as it is not economic way of work, much better and easily administrated is distribute application via SCCM as there you can see where what is installed, and if need occurs to install newer version, it is deployed via WSUS or as new package upgrading old one (did you ever hear about upgrade codes?).

Right now I am asking myself - "Do people in Nokia really understand market and customers needs?" - I am afraid they do not. Nokia has gone long journey thru time and once they were the best, but we can see they are not able to learn from their faults, and that's one of reasons why they are loosing their positions on market.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rajatse

How to install Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe on Windows XP sp2. Please help out ASAP
Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeteJ

for user installation on your own PC see the PDF mentioned above. lots of information there is valid. just have a look your system fulfills requirements and if yes you can run that exe. go thru dialogues and at the end finish installation.

if you need to create package to deploy via SCCM i think the best should be to extract msi installers and have it run with proper parameters in proper order as separate programs (do not forget to link it) of one package. you can create mst if needed to do some setting too. unfortunately one of the main needs - total disabling updates so that users cant change it - is not possible (as you can read above too).

Please use plain text.