Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

OVI Suite 3.0

Sage
aliqudsi

OVI Suite 3.0

OVI suite 3.0 was released yesterday in the Beta labs   http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-ovi-suite-3-0

personally i suggest ou download it seems much lighter than the previous version plus the music player is now integrated in the Suit itself instead of using the OVI player by itself

good job nokia one more step in the right direction

If you found this post or any other psot helpful please press the green kudus star :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Re: OVI Suite 3.0

I'd avoid it like the plague

the ovi store adds taking up 2/3 of the homescreen looks awful

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

CAll me crazy but i like the OVI store preview, shows you what new apps there are

to each his own i guess :smileyvery-happy:

If you found this post or any other psot helpful please press the green kudus star :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

aliqudsi wrote:

CAll me crazy but i like the OVI store preview, shows you what new apps there are

to each his own i guess :smileyvery-happy:

If you could actualy doenload the apps by clicking on them, and if the ovi adverts took up much less of the page then perhaps,

But I want a PC utilities thing to work with and enhance the functionality of my phone not to be a bilboard for a bunch of apps almost all of which I will never download

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

With that i agree i was kinda surprised that instead of downloading the apps it took you to the online OVI store **bleep**?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

[ Edited ]

It looks to me that this version of Ovi Suite is for the benefit of Nokia. There isn't much in it for us... extra marketing and buying opportunities for them... little benefit for us.

Instead of selling more too us I would prefer to see the functionality of the software fixed... so it actually works properly.  I am still using PC Suite and will do until Ovi works with Outlook 2010.

Another wasted opportunity from Nokia Ovi.

Please use plain text.
Sage
aliqudsi

Well in all hoesnty Nokias suite is finally "almost" competing with Zune or Itunes ALMOST...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oreo27

Apart from the ad-filled homescreen, how's the performance of the new OVI Suite? What are the new features that users will be looking forward to having?

Nokia 701 Dark Steel on Belle FP2
Please use plain text.
Sage

aliqudsi wrote:

Well in all hoesnty Nokias suite is finally "almost" competing with Zune or Itunes ALMOST...

You've kidding, right? :smileywink:

Can't speak for Zune Marketplace, doesn't exist here in Europe.

But iTunes, COMPLETELY UNLIKE OVI, is stable, reasonably fast, reliable and great from a usability point of view.

None of that is true for Ovi-Suite.

• Sync is unreliable, with lots of conflicts in contacts that should not be there (the contacts were neither touched on the PC nor the handset)
  • Music often has to be synced several times until everything is transferred.
  • Playlists are often duplicated or not transferred
  • songs with no album cover often get a wrong cover in OVI that is almost impossible tzo get rid of.
  • Music  library management on the PC is plain awful, no playlist sorting, playlist display non adjustable.
  • last but no least music purchased from OVI Store is still badly DRM protected, I lost the license information of the songs I bought with a Nokia voucher when I upgraded to win 7. (License information for the few remaining protected iTunes songs transferred fine)

And that's just for starters.

Ovi-Suite is light-years away from even coming close to iTunes in terms of ease of use, reliability and stability.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Sage

oreo27 wrote:

Apart from the ad-filled homescreen, how's the performance of the new OVI Suite? What are the new features that users will be looking forward to having?

it's as sluggish as 2.x (Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4GB, Win 7 32).

Apart from the shameless Ovi Store ads (with no possibility to download) there is not much new, almost all the old issues remain.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

[ Edited ]

oreo27 wrote:

I have had no real issues with it so far both through the Alpha and Beta releases on a number of phones and with Win 7 64 bit and XP 32 bit systems. For me it is definitely faster than the prior versions and that on both older legacy and new 3+ GHz machines.

I am of two minds about the Ovi Store applications being on the Home page but it doesn't worry me (I don't get wound up over such things myself :smileywink:) and I don't find it intrusive. As some others have said the odd one has attracted my interest to find out more about it and for my own usage it is much better than having ones photos, contacts, etc splashed across the screen for the world to see. I think it is a bit harsh to refer to them as advertisements as the ones I see seem to be mostly all free ones.

There have been comments about downloading those aps including claims that it can't be done. The function is actually that one hovers the mouse over the application and a "View" button comes up. Clicking that takes you to straight to the description, etc and download facility in the Ovi Store. For myself I would never just download an application based on a pretty little picture with a name and a couple of words description under it and would want to find out more about it first - so the way it works is just fine by me.

I have wondered what they could have put on the screen instead of the Ovi Store aps but haven't come up with any smart ideas myself, nor have I yet seen anyone else come up with any suggestions as to that.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
oreo27

kiltbear wrote:

oreo27 wrote:

it's as sluggish as 2.x (Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4GB, Win 7 32).

Apart from the shameless Ovi Store ads (with no possibility to download) there is not much new, almost all the old issues remain.

cataholic wrote:

oreo27 wrote:

I have had no real issues with it so far both through the Alpha and Beta releases on a number of phones and with Win 7 64 bit and XP 32 bit systems. For me it is definitely faster than the prior versions and that on both older legacy and new 3+ GHz machines.

I am of two minds about the Ovi Store applications being on the Home page but it doesn't worry me (I don't get wound up over such things myself :smileywink:) and I don't find it intrusive. As some others have said the odd one has attracted my interest to find out more about it and for my own usage it is much better than having ones photos, contacts, etc splashed across the screen for the world to see. I think it is a bit harsh to refer to them as advertisements as the ones I see seem to be mostly all free ones.

There have been comments about downloading those aps including claims that it can't be done. The function is actually that one hovers the mouse over the application and a "View" button comes up. Clicking that takes you to straight to the description, etc and download facility in the Ovi Store. For myself I would never just download an application based on a pretty little picture with a name and a couple of words description under it and would want to find out more about it first - so the way it works is just fine by me.

I have wondered what they could have put on the screen instead of the Ovi Store aps but haven't come up with any smart ideas myself, nor have I yet seen anyone else come up with any suggestions as to that.

I wasn't expecting much. I really did hope that we got a lot of improvements of already-there features. I mean PC Suite was not a bad tool at all. It was at least functioning properly. All OVI Suite did was to add branding and all the funcions in one app. Unfortunately, between the bugs and sluggish performance, a lot more could have been done.
Well, I'll have to agree that the Homescreen that had some of the free Applications advertised in it is not so bad. But I think most users would like to view the description, then be able to download the application into the PC to transfer to the phone, rather than being sent a link which a user can download using his/her device. I believe that having both options is actually better.
OVI Suite has a lot of potential. I don't know wether this is JAVA based or what, but it is horribly, horriby slow. I hope that this issue is addressed.

Nokia 701 Dark Steel on Belle FP2
Please use plain text.
Sage

cataholic wrote:

I am of two minds about the Ovi Store applications ... <snip-<... and for my own usage it is much better than having ones photos, contacts, etc splashed across the screen for the world to see.

Agreed, I 'd rather have plugs or ads for apps than my private data on the home screen. Getting rid of that has often been requested and is much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

kiltbear wrote:

• last but no least music purchased from OVI Store is still badly DRM protected, I lost the license information of the songs I bought with a Nokia voucher when I upgraded to win 7. (License information for the few remaining protected iTunes songs transferred fine)

That bit is certainly not true, since early September all music purchased from Ovi has been unprotected MP3 files. Music purchased before the change can be redownloaded as MP3s just by going into your download history.

Only music downloaded free under Comes With Music/Ovi Music Unlimited is still DRM-protected.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bwwhite2000

I have hated Ovi Suite 2.x more and more with each release.  One release would work behind my work proxy server and the next wouldn't.  I finally decided to follow the advice elsewhere on this board and uninstall Ovi Suite and PC Suite, use the PC Suite cleaner program and try a fresh start.  I should point out that Ovi Suite 2.x worked fine on my home computer--it just gave me headaches on my work computer.

Then I saw this post about a beta version of Ovi Suite 3.0.  I figured I'd try it out.  I installed it on my work computer (a notebook) from home, when I was not going through our proxy server.  It synced just fine and the sync speed was acceptable.  I have a Lenovo T60 running Windows XP SP3.  Everything seemed to work just fine.  I synced again just today from work and the sync worked fine as well.

My only gripe about 3.0 on my work computer now is that I can't connect to the Ovi Store.  Must have something to do with my work proxy server, but can't figure it out.

Anyway--Ovi Suite 3.0 is, to me anyway, a step in the right direciton.  And, yes, I've read some of the other complaints in this thread.  I don't mind the Store apps being shown.  It is working and that is good.

Bruce

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

mccbleue wrote:

That bit is certainly not true, since early September all music purchased from Ovi has been unprotected MP3 files. Music purchased before the change can be redownloaded as MP3s just by going into your download history.

Ok my bad about the now no longer DRM protected music, but last time i checked i was not able to download most of the music i purchased with the store credit that I got with the 5800XM and and N97 and believe me I did check after I had my system up and running on WIndows 7.

While I can download an album that I previously purchased (it is still DRM protected and not in mp3 format), all the individual songs I bought are nowhere to be seen.

I have to admit that I never bought anything again from Nokia Music apart from what I was able to get witht he free credits before the expired and the free credits expired so fast that I was only able to use about half each time, the rest just disappeared into thin air.

I never managed to have any iTunes credits expire on me, however.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rack1600

I thought if you had an iPod and bought music on iTunes that you couldn't then play it on other players due to DRM?  I've read that several places, and was my main reason for never getting an iPod several years ago when i was looking for an MP3 player.

Or is that also how it Used To be?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rack1600

Also, on topic, Ovi 3.0 works through my work proxy, where as 2.2.x didn't.  

yeah, it was strange how it changed a lot but personally I blamed my IS department as I had a lot of other issues in that department with other programs (eg skype etc)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
emecke

[ Edited ]

This is definitely no Software to manage my nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Rack1600 wrote:

I thought if you had an iPod and bought music on iTunes that you couldn't then play it on other players due to DRM?  I've read that several places, and was my main reason for never getting an iPod several years ago when i was looking for an MP3 player.

Or is that also how it Used To be?

Apple has done away with DRM early 2009, i already had most of my music bought on iTunes on my 5800XM and I had bought that in march 2009.

Initially (before Apple went all DRM free) you could buy selected music without DRM as "iTunes Plus" and upgrade previously bought stuff at a charge, but at some point they would started letting you download the DRM free versions free as they became available.

Please use plain text.