Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

OVI suite 2 installer

Registered Member

OVI suite 2 installer

is there a way to install it into a custom folder, e.g. D:\Apps?
Please use plain text.
Employee

Re: OVI suite 2 installer

Hi, if you want to install Nokia Ovi Suite to for example D: drive, to directory "D:\Program files", you could start installation application from command line following way:

Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_all.exe /TARGET="D:\Program files\NokiaOviSuite"

This would create a new folder "NokiaOviSuite" under D:\Program files\ and install Nokia Ovi Suite there.

Cheers, Samuli

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

plz explain it,,,,,i cant get it
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello sufiz,

you may find it working in following steps.

go to start> Run> type cmd > click ok

you will get command prompt (in most cases a black  color window).  copy the .Ovi suite  installer  in D:/ drive (

(just  to avoid  writing path  on the command prompt)

Now type D: and hit enter key

now type the  above command, within a moment  installation will begin.

Please use plain text.
manskei

I've been trying this - it does not work on MS Vista.  I get the command prompt OK but the installer always reverts to c:\.  (I have my hard drive partitioned into c:\ & d:\ to make  work & home back-ups easier).  If Nokia expect me to use OVI then they can make it possible to install on my PC. 

Why does OVI not give you a choice of installation location the way that PC Suite does?  This is a really amateur effort by Nokia.

Nokia have forgotten that a phone is a phone.  I can live without all the OVI trash that is being forced on us. How much data are Nokia collecting each time OVI is started?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well, for starters, Opening Ovi Suite is equivalent to opening PC Suite, Nokia Maps Updater, Nokia Software Updater, Nokia maps loader, and all the other Nokia software all at the same time. Which is why I think its so bloated.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
kalicouk

Has anyone found a way to install OVI suite into a different folder/directory from the default on C:?

I tried the above command, but it does not work and still installs on C:, giving no options to install elsewhere.  Given how big the intsallation is, I have no room for it on C:

All I want to do is add another country's map to Ovi Maps on my phone and I am forced to install OVI.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oviDUKEworld

change your windows default installation directory. For example: by default it is set to C:\Program File and you want to make it to D:\Apps.

For that do these followings:

1. Go to Run menu, and type regedit and press Enter.

2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to D:\Apps.

Restart your windows and then install the Nokia Ovi Suite.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NeilF_Mobi

None of the solutions gets around the problem of limited drive space on C:, because either the Ovi suite completely ignores the above methods of changing directory, or because it uses the C: drive for its cache during installation, which in itself requires > 200 MB. In my experience, Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_all.exe /TARGET="D:\Program files\NokiaOviSuite" does not work - the TARGET is ignored. Setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion ProgramFilesDir does not appear to work, probably because the cached files use up all the spare space on the C: drive, and then the installer checks the remaining space which is insufficient to complete the installation. I've now given up trying to load the Ovi Suite, and have reverted to the older PC Suite which uses sufficiently less disk space. I cannot understand why all this bloatware+ is required for the relatively menial task of shifting files back and forth between a phone and a PC.
Please use plain text.