Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

OVI suite won't install

Registered Member
dodobear
Accepted Solution

OVI suite won't install

Hi,

I have an E72 and a PC running windows 7 professional.

I am completely unable to install OVI suite.  The installation hangs every time. I have tried several times. Firstly from the installer that shipped with the phone (this just hung - no message), then from the most up to date version downloaded from the website.  With this latter I get a message saying "an error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.MC,processorArchitecture="x86",publictoken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",version="8.0.50727.4053",type="win32".   Please refer to help and support for more information

I have seen similar posts to this on the forum - most of which suggested uninstalling PC suite and then trying the install again. However, I have never had PC suite on this machine.

Any help gratefully received!

Please use plain text.
Professor
tpt635601

Re: OVI suite won't install

[ Edited ]

Hey,

Have u chcked if ur system has got Microsoft Visaul C++ 2008 Redistributable instlld on ur pc?  Do googling u wll get :smileywink:

If its not installed, do read some forum before installing this on ur pc doesnt harm ur pc ....

If my post helped you, click on Kudos button :smileyvery-happy: and if my solution provided is opt 2 u, accpt my solution :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dodobear

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.  I tried installing C++ 2008 - but still no joy.  Attached screen shots show where the process is hanging and the message I'm getting - eventually.  I have to say this is very frustrating - and clearly is not that uncommon a problem from the number of posts I've seen on it.  Few of which seem to have been clearly solved.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
satari

I am not sure whether this will solve your problem but you can try it .

1. Uninstall Ovi Suite, PC Connectivity solution and Nokia Connectivity cable drivers from Add/remove program if anything is there.
2. Delete the files from here:smileysad:If anything is there)
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Nokia\Ovi Suite
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\OviInstallerCache
3. Please download MSI clean up utility from the below link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Once installed please remove the programs related to Nokia.
Restart Computer.
Then download and install Windows Installer, so that the installer is upto date.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175
4. Restart the PC
5. Download and Install latest OviSuite http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-ovi-suite

Please THANK me by clicking on the ****WHITE STAR** ( Giving KUDOS) the big GREEN BOX to your LEFT .
It will help me to serve you better !!!!!
Thanking You
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dodobear

soSatari, Thanks for the suggestions. Though actually the file system on Windows 7 is a bit different to previous versions so the locations have changed - and Windows have recently pulled the installer software you suggest using.

In fact the problem seems to be a windows 7 registry problem.  In the end I found the solution here (on a post related to itunes - but if anyone interested follows the thread they'll see that moving to the latest version of itunes presents exactly the same hang as trying to intall OVI - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/f4dd5033-9bcb-4788-b100-5e98bd80f...)

If you can't be bothered to follow the link/read the entire post - what you have to do is:

1) Open regedit and replace the following value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

Key: RegistrySizeLimit

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)

2) Reboot

This solved the problem for me for both ovi and itunes

Please use plain text.
ilsacca

I have win7 home premium 64bit, and I got the same problem with ovi suite.

I try to do the following procedures:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

Key: RegistrySizeLimit

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295)

2) Reboot

But I don't have that registry so I've created it ( see attachment )

2.  I have installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from this link : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867&displ...

But ovi still doesn't work, and give the same error!

Please give me some help!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
arleneteng

Thanks for the clear instructions! I'd been tearing my hair out for the last four days, thinking I did something wrong to my Win7 machine when, in a sense, it was my Win7 machine that wronged me. Everything's working fine now. A million kow-tows to you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dmacco

Hmm. Could only be the start of your problems. Ovi works fine on my win 7 pc but won't install on my phone. Locked out of Nokia apps for only £20 a month. Ovi is the most miserable piece of software I've ever seen, and the postings on the forums would suggest I'm not alone. Pish.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Patrik74

So I had the same problem with the Swedish version, and I managed to solve it.

I uninstalled everything Nokia on my Win 7 32bit PC using CCleaner and then went into everything single Nokia folder I could find in the file manager, for example C: Program files/Ovi and Nokia etc and also went into the "Documents and settings folder in my user folder several Nokia folders were found and deleted. Then the Ovi Suite installed nicely. Really strange why Nokia could have solved this before releasing it...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Patrik74

But then I got this amazing new problem when trying to connect my E52:

/t5/Nokia-Ovi-Suite/Error-1618-on-Windows-7/td-p/734349

Nokia seems to have serious problem in their windows installer department. By the way, Nokia where are you? Aren't you supposed to help or at least inform on the status of this problem? I was updating from an earlier version of Ovi Suite where my phone connected nicely, but now nothing works, but at least I get as far as trying to connect my phone......

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ros86

Dear satari

You solve my problem 100% . thank u again
Please use plain text.
RolfErik

I have a N8-00 and a laptop with Windows Vista Business SP2. The problem came with the last OVI update .90. During the process my display driver acted up and the machine crashed. After sorting the problem out I started all over with the OVI installation. Now the installation asks for some files called OVIMPlatform and cannot find them and does not complete the installation. I have removed everything of OVI and started all over again, but always end up in the same situation as described above. The PC recognises the N8-00 OK. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
flummoxed

I have repeatedly tried to install the update that says its critical. It fails and doesn’t let me use the original version. After spending much time trying to get it to work decided to take it off my computer but its not possible to install all components, now it’s impossible to update the phone or connect to Ovi suite. Have tried the instructions above but to no available, maybe the version was an earlier, but Nokia suite shows on the hard drive even after un-installing all Nokia software. All the Ovi Suite components are still there, but none are working. Also when first trying to install the update my antivirus software detected an error a Trojan as embedded in the software downloaded directly from the Nokia, operating as part of Ovi suite update, noted as essential. The offending 4 and classified as high risk files, were quarantined and deleted. Also internet was cut off for a period of time to stop intrusion as a result of the Nokia software compromising Microsoft Windows security.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rajatse

I have downloaded OVI Suite two to three times and tried installing it on my Windows XP Sp2 system however it is giving error There is problem with installer file. Please help out in this regards ASAP. I want to update my Nokia N8 Should I try installing from commandline
Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Could you try reinstall Nokia suite?
- Go to Program and Features or Add remove in Control Panel
- Click Nokia Suite
- Click Uninstall
Uninstall also:
- Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver
- PC connectivity Solution

Then restart computer.
- Download and install latest Nokia Suite 3.3.86 version from www.nokia.com/nokiasuite

- Restart Computer again
- Connect the device, do not open Nokia Suite and wait for all the driver to be loaded by windows.
- Once done then launch Nokia Suite.
- Check for the issue

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
nerijuskuk

sorry, but still the same problem (I have tried betta version), see picture :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Hello nerijuskuknerijuskuk,

The problem can be because WMDRMSDK.DLL has been missing.

There are two ways to rid of installation problem:

1.      Download/update the Windows Media Player 11

2.      Download Update for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&id=2292

If it doesn't help could you check your Intermediate CA certificates the following:

1) Please go here: http://www.verisign.com/support/verisign-intermediate-ca/code-signing-intermediate/index.html to update your Intermediate CA certificates.

2) You will see 2 boxes with garbled text - one primary and one secondary.

3) Please copy and paste the text each into a text file using a text editor such as notepad. Then save those files with a .cer extension.

4) Then import those certs into Windows by right clicking on those .cer files and selecting Install Certificate from the menu.

I hope it helps!

Could you please reply the result?

Thank you in advance,

Marina

Nokia Suite team

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
nerijuskuk

Hello Marina,

thank you for reply and instructions. 1. I have done, 2. failed, here is picture attached. Can you help?

Please use plain text.
nerijuskuk

Hello Marina again,

I am sorry, **bleep** doing CA, everything works with beta version :smileywink:

Thank you very much.
Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Nice to hear it :smileyhappy:

Thank you nerijuskuk for informing!

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.