Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi Suite 3.1.0.91 lost the ability of adding *.m4...

Registered Member
jurekvt

Ovi Suite 3.1.0.91 lost the ability of adding *.m4a !!!

i need help with this! is there a solution? or do i need to downgrade?? i hate it! :@

Please use plain text.
Yarnofmoo

Re: Ovi Suite 3.1.0.91 lost the ability of adding *.m4a !!!

It's pretty stupid. With my N8 I can still drag & drop m4a files directly to the phone when connected in PC suite mode. Renaming m4a files to .aac does not work.

Please use plain text.
Professor
tpt635601

Hey,

As per Nokia Ovi Suite help,

Audio file formats

Nokia Ovi Suite supports the audio file formats listed below. You can play and transfer music files between your device and computer in these formats.

WAV,
AAC, eAAC, eAAC+,
MP3,
3GP,
MP4,
ASF,
CDDA,

WMA (all variants), protected by Windows Media DRM.

If my post helped you, click on Kudos button :smileyvery-happy: and if my solution provided is opt 2 u, accpt my solution :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Sage

@tpt635601

yeah, we  noticed that.

But suffice it to say that we are not talking about file formats, but file extension.

.m4a files are AAC files which are supported by Ovi-suite as you conveniently point out.

But that IS NOT THE POINT.

The now officially worst smartphone desktop software ever has lost the ability to import AAC files with an .m4a extension. By the way .m4a is the standard file extension for songs bough in the iTunes store.

Up to  at least version 3.0 Ovi suite was able to add .m4a files ( again, Standard iTunes extiension) with no problem.

But all of a sudden that extension has been removed.

You now have to start Ovi Player to add those files to the library, after that tjhey will play fine in the Ovi Suite as do .m4a files that were added to the library pre-3.1, since they are indeed standard AAC files.

Removing support for one of the more widespread audio file extensions is just one more example of the mind-boggling incompetence of the Ovi-suite developers.

The Suite keeps getting worse and worse instead of less bad. Never has it been more tedious to keep a PDA or smartphone up to date than with the pathetic Ovi-suite. Now I could maybe even live with that if the handsets weren't equally or even more useless (N97).

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.