After a long, long and illogical struggle between my fingers and the famous buggy Ovi Suite, I finally made the synchronisation of the address books of my Nokia and Thunderbird works.
As I spent something like 3 hours, reading the forums (reading users trying different actions and sometimes succeeding) and making random tries, I've decided to write this summary and I hope it might help.
Does it works well : YES !! (once installed)
Is it easy to get it work/to install ? OH NO NO NO !
First : I do not like very much Ovi Suite because it is very much resource consuming and is lacking many features that PC Suite has.
But I have wanting desperately (!) since a long time to synchronize my Thunderbird address book, so now I will keep Ovi for this task (and perform all the other ones with PC Suite!!)
When you try to synchronize, you get the following error code : 80043c93 and a message saying that the synchronization was stopped and you should reconnect the USB cable (never disconnected!) or try Bluetooth.
I tried to synchronize with Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 and Outlook 2000. I always had the same error message. So I believe the issue is not linked to one of these programs but is linked to a "configuration or installation" issue with Ovi Suite.
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Nokia Ovi Suite 220.127.116.11
Nokia PC Suite 18.104.22.168
PC Connectivity Solution 10.18.0.0
Connectivity Cable Driver 22.214.171.124
Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2010.18.0.60492
Nokia mPlatform 2.6.86
Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 126.96.36.199
Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.4
WHAT TO DO:
0) backup your phone (I did this with PC Suite! )
1) make sure to have the latest Ovi Suite installed (at least v2.1.1)
2) try to delete the phone from Ovi (tools, options, my device, remove this device)
add your phone again to Ovi and try to sync. Several users on the forums reported this to work.
3) if it does not work (same error message), try to change your connection type if you can (use USB instead of Bluetooth or vice versa) and try again..
4) still not working ? then update Thunderbird to v3.x. I have not seen any Ovi suite documentation stating if the Thunderbird compatibility is with Thunderbird v2.x or v3.x. Try to sync !
5) soft reset of the phone
6) clear the C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temp
Several users on the forums reported this to work.
7) if it does not work, uninstall Ovi
run CCleaner (temp files & registry)
reboot the PC
Finally it should work now !
If it still does not, you should try again the steps above in a different order.
My address book is 550+ contacts, each with multiple phone numbers, e-mail and mail addresses, notes, picture.
TO BE NOTED: Limitations and bugs
- there are several types of telephone, email, and mail addresses in Ovi ("unnamed", home, business....). The "unnamed" one will not be synchronised with thunderbird ! So for such contact you have to edit manually to change the type of the considered fields.
- when using Ovi to sync your calendar ; you can only sync 4 weeks in the past and 12 months in the future..Not the case with PC S uite (10 years each)
- it creates the "display name" in Thunderbird by concatenating the first then last name..But if you have no first name, then there is one space character before the name..And this will ruins the alphabetical order. So in Thunderbird address book, in the display menu, change to "name, first name" (or edit manually in firefox all entries "display name" entries)
- Pc Suite offers a log functionality : to see a list of ALL the modifications that were performed....which is very useful and make you control that everything behaves as you expect. Unfortunately Ovi does not provide it.
- reliability : once running, looks very stable and reliable sync. conflict detection etc..
== END OF THE STORY ==
Last , it would be good if Nokia could give enough budget to their PC software development teams so they can improve the sw and avoid such issues...because I hardly doubt that many users have 3 hours to waste in trying to make this work ! :smileyhappy:
I hope this will help other users and thanks to the ones who posted their ideas on the forum.