Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Suite hangs on sync

Contributor

Ovi Suite hangs on sync

Hello, I just bought a Nokia N8 and wanted to sync with Outlook. The first time it worked, but after removing the phone and reconnecting the sync hangs at different stages. Sometimes in the preparation stage "Synchronisation wird vorbereitet", sometimes during sync. There is no error message, why it hangs. After deinstalling and removing any phone specific drivers from device panel I reinstalled the Ovi suite. First sync worked, second not. In my opinion, regular reinstallation for every sync is no option. Any other ideas? Windows 7 pro 64 bit, Ovi suite 3.0.0.290, Outlook 2003.
Please use plain text.
magnuz73

i see the same issue. Haven´t been able to sync my phone since 7th of February. Worked perfect before Version 3.0. Now i can sync SMS, photos and contacts. But when i try to sync my calendar it just stops with" preparing sync of calendar" im using outlook 2003.

Also i cant login in to OVI from the program it just comes back with error not avaible.

How can things that have worked suddenly fail, to you even check the SW before rolling it out?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Additional testing:

I've added a new contact in the phone, connected the phone to my PC and the new contact showed up in OVI Suite as stored in phone memory. In my opion, this clearly shows that the connection to the phone works.

After starting a synchronisation process, the program hangs at different stages as written in my first post. Canceling the sync doesn't work either. The program shows, that cancel is in progress, but never stops. No error message, no hint, why it doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)

Hi,

Can you try the solutions below:

-Try creating the connection between your phone and computer totally from scratch. Start by disconnecting your phone. In Nokia Ovi Suite, select Tools > Options > My devices. Select your phone at the top of the window and click Remove this device.

-Then, select Tools > Add new device, and follow the instructions to reconnect the phone.  Check that your sync settings are correct in Sync > Sync options > Device sync. Finally, try syncing again.

-Manual sync
Open Nokia Ovi Suite--> Sync--> Sync option--> Uncheck the sync automatically everytime you connect the device.Then Sync--> Sync now--> Contact, Calendar& tasks, Messages or Notes one by one individually.

Lets hope this helps.

Br

Mahayv

Please use plain text.
QMR1

This seems to solve the problem. To avoid HUGE amount of customer complaints, you should correct this SW problem in the Ovi quickly, before more Managing Directors start using their calendars etc. with E7 like me...
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Mahayv,

I'm afraid, but your solution doesn't worked for me.

I disconnected the phone and removed the device from the Ovi Suite. Added the device and reconfigured synchronization details. Automatic Synchronization was unchecked. Started manual synchronization. Progress bar shows synchronizing contacts, but stays by about 5 %. After about half an hour I canceled the sync. After another half hour, in which Ovi Suite says, that it cancels the process I disconnected the device and rebooted the PC, to get fresh starting conditions.

Again, removed and added device as described above. Instead of syncing with Outlook, I added a new connection to Thunderbird (only contacts). Thought, it would either copy the contacts from phone (or the Ovi Suite database) to Thunderbird, or delete the contacts in my phone. But none of them happened, synchronization hangs again.

I'm very disappointed with this piece of software. It makes my smartphone useless (when I can't sync PIM data to have them everywhere with me, I can use a much cheaper phone).

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Another supplement:

Deleted the database from AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store. Synchronization of contacts with Thunderbird works like a charm.

Disconnected the device. Reconnected it, started synchronization of contacts:

Program hangs again!

Disconnecting the mobile phone from a computer breaks the synchronization. This is sick! And the problem seems to be the database.

Please use plain text.

Hi DNMobile,

Sorry to hear that solution i gave did not solve your synch issues.

Let me give you more:

1]

Go to Nokia Ovi Suite--> Sync--> Repair sync.

Try the following workaround too...

2]

Go to Start--> Run and type %temp% and delete the Nokia folders.

Windows XP

C:\DOCUMENT\<username>\LOCALS\Temp\Nokia Remote Data Store

Windows Vista/ W7

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Delete all the files in the "Remote Data store" of that particular IMEI No.

3]

Remove the device profile in the Ovi Suite then connect& configure the device again with Ovi Suite.

Go to

Nokia Ovi Suite--> Options--> My devices-->

"Remove this device"     and connect& configure it again.

4]

Go to

Control Panel--> Right click and "Repair" Ovi Suite.

Go to

Control Panel--> Right click and "Repair" Nokia Connectivity cable driver & PC Connectivity solution.

In PC

Go to Run--> type   devmgmt.msc  

and     go to 'Portable device'  and right click <device> do Driver update'.

5]

If, Anti- virus is enabled, allow Nokia Ovi Suite& Nokia programs in the Anti- virus program and try sync.,

6]

Delete the "MDataStore.db3" file and try synchronizing to Ovi Suite again.

Windows XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Data Store

Windows Vista/ W7

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store

IMPORTANT:     If the user delete the above mentioned files/ folders all the user information in NOS will no-more be available.

Every time you delete the MDataStore.db3 -file - you also delete all contacts and text messages that might be stored in Ovi Suite. Also other metadata may be lost (music playlists, photo albums, etc).

So if you do not want to lose: move the Nokia data store file  to a different location on
the hard drive.
This data store holds contacts, calendar entries, notes, messages
synchronized from the phone.

Next time after connection, new nokia data store will be created
instead of corrupted one.

Br

Mahayv

Please use plain text.
QMR1

Hangs again, too. The long list of "help" doesn't help.Same problem persists.

What the H*LL is wrong with this software??? It's not our users job to fix these problems, it's Nokia's programmers! It's OK to update phone's SW every once in a while, but to get into computers different folders and delete this-and-that every day, THAT SUCKS!!! I've owned the phone for two days and this much of trouble, no way... :-(((((((((

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hello Mahayv,

I've first restored my save set via Ovi Suite (since I did a factory reset to send the phone back do my dealer). Then I did all as described in your post. First sync hangs.

Thank you very much for your patience, but I'm out for now. I just did a new factory reset and will send the phone back to my dealer. I'm sorry to do that, since the N8 is a very nice device, but synchronisation with the desktop is a must have for me.

Please use plain text.

Hi,

Very sorry to hear that.

I will forward these comments to the R&D.

Br

Mahayv

Please use plain text.
QMR1

Took my device to maintenance and they re-installed the phone's software. According to them the phone was in a total jam, even though I could use it for calls and SMSs.

After that I safecopied the E90's crucial data and then restored that data to E7 with Ovi. Everything went well, but still THE SYNC IS NOT WORKING, SO I CANNOT USE MY BRAND NEW PHONE!!! I'm gonna take contact Nokia's R/D...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
natapoto

It hangs with X3 as well.

The device was not even connected. I just emptied the list of devices in Tools/Options and it hang.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
yakker

I have the same problem with the E5-00. Install ovi, sync calendar, all ok.

Disconnect phone, when I reconnect ovi starts but the option to sync calendar is greyed out, and not working. Run repair ovi, after the repair I can sync calendar again. This has only started after the last software update. Starting to annoy me, as this needs doing every time I want to sync my phone.

Please use plain text.
TPO68

Hi!

(Excause me for my poor technical English)

In my case it´s windows that prevents ovi suite to work immediately I even try to choose sync choice of outlook or windows contacts/calendar:

Ovi suite crashes and I get this notification:

Data execution prevention(DAP) has prevented this program to execute...

Windows gives me advice to add ovisuite.exe on a list of allowed executable programs or remove it from blocked list. Yet after I tried this, Windows says this isn´t possible for this program.

I then tried to use old pc suite (latest version for long time). While installing it, it gave me a new version is available notification and I downloaded it and installed.

Once-the first try- this new pc suite worked properly, all sync was successible.

But there never was second time.Every time I try to connect my phone device driver installation begins and MTP device drivers couldn't be installed . And the phone isn't recogniced any more.

What to do? For me, ovi or pc suite are the only ways to sync data between phone and pc.

Or is there any other solution for sync with oulook?Free one, exchange server etc. not accessible.There is some kind of solution to sync with oulook but apparently not suitable with my phone.

N97 mini, latest software

Ovi suite 3.0.0.290

Windows ultimate sp 2

Outlook 2003 sp3

Please use plain text.
DF118

Hi,

• N8
  • Win7 x64
  • Ovi 3.0.0.290

I have exact same problem as OP.

I spent 4 hours this morning attempting to sync contacts, which I eventually managed to do.

I am now trying to sync Calendar & Tasks, but having no luck.  Ovi always hangs with one of two possible status messages (both of which were originally described by OP).

Either:

...or...

I have tried all suggestions put forward by mahayv in this thread, up to and including deletion of the MDataStore.db3 file.  BTW, deleting this file did not make Ovi Suite lose all contacts, messages etc., as mahayv indicated it would.

When Ovi hangs on Sync, and I attempt to cancel, it then hangs again with the following message:

After I then shut down Ovi, using File > Exit, both the program window and notification area green "Ovi" icon disappear, but two processes are still running (namely: NokiaOviSuite.exe and nokiaaserver.exe).  These processes must be manually terminated before Ovi Suite can be successfully restarted.  If I do not manually terminate these processes and try to restart Ovi Suite, then what happens is I get multiple copies of these processes appearing in task manager, but no Ovi Suite window will ever appear.

Bottom line: Ovi Suite is not behaving remotely as it should.

I have tried many possible solutions, suggested both here and in other threads and forums.  These include:

• Reinstalling Ovi Suite
  • Repairing Nokia connectivity cable driver
  • Reinstalling Nokia connectivity cable driver
  • "Repair Sync" option within Ovi Suite
  • Uninstalling ALL Nokia software and reinstalling
  • Restoring a C drive backup I took about a week ago (i.e. before all this started) thus giving me a "clean slate" from which to try again

I sincerely hope this issue is being taken seriously, as from my various net wanderings it looks like many people are having connectivity issues with Ovi Suite.  FWIW, I get the impression that the common factor is Windows 7 x64.

As people have mentioned previously, Ovi Suite is a big let-down at the moment.  I really like my N8, but the longer I am without calendar sync, the bigger a problem this is going to become.

Thanks mahayv for helping out so far - I really hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
VHje

Hi I have got exactly the same problem with the Ovi Suite sync as you described. I have N8, Win XP Home sp 3, Outlook 2003. I can sync everything else but calendar and tasks. I have got no error message but syncinc hangs.
Please use plain text.
djako

I also have the same problem ever since I installed Nokia Ovi Suite 3.0.0.290. The old version 2.something worked fine.

Synching something with Outlook gets stuck with the message of preparing to synch. Synching goes on forever and never stops. Ovi Suite has to be killed by Task manager.

Phone: N8 (firmaware version 013.016 SWE, also problem with the earlier fw version)

Outlook 2010 (English version)

Windows 7 Professional (English version)

I have had PC Suite installed also, but the latest version does not support N8.

Please do something Nokia. This is a crucial use case and you will loose a lot of customers if this is not fixed ASAP. Also provide a quick workaround, like a download of an older version or something.

Please use plain text.
djako

My Windows 7 is 32-bit. Sorry, for not mentioning that the first time.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Samsu

I have exactly same problem as DF118 with same devices/software. Cannot sync calendar with Outlook 2010 or contacts at all. Btw, I was able to synd calendar with Outlook 2010 at workplace earlier; the only difference is operating system Win7 x32...

I must also say, that I have hated Ovi Suite from the beginning since it's very heavy and slow especially in syncing (PC Suite was much better!).

Please use plain text.