Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Ovi suite V2.1.1.1 does not synch contacts with my...

Counsellor
godot2010

Ovi suite V2.1.1.1 does not synch contacts with my Thunderbird.

Ovi suite V2.1.1.1 stopped synchronizing with my Thunderbird.

My environment:

E71 - Windows7 OS - not Win XP as noted below, Thunderbird 3.0.3. I have the add-on "Thunderbird Address Book Synch Extension 6.3.1.75" enabled.

The Problem:

I get error code 83950005 - and a note to "Check your Profile in Monzilla Thunderbird." I can't find a "profile" setting in Thunderbird. The Ovi error message - if correct - should be more precise.

Error Data from Ovi Suit:

Nokia Ovi Suite 2.1.1.1

Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1

PC Connectivity Solution 10.6.2.0

Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.27.0

Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2010.6.0.60359

Maps Service API 3.0.38.0

Nokia mPlatform 2.6.86

Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 1.1.0.82

Operating system:
Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Edition, Service Pack 2
Language: English

Detected internet browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385 (Default browser)

Detected Bluetooth stacks:
- Microsoft (Version: 6.1.7600, Build: 16385)
- Toshiba (Version v6.10.10(T))

Note that earlier 'beta' versions synchronized fine!

Please use plain text.
Employee

Re: Ovi suite V2.1.1.1 does not synch contacts with my Thunderbird.

Hi,

Thanks for raising this into our attention. The issue is under investigation.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ovi Suite 2.1.1.1 is still broken, it wont synchronise with my Outlook contacts on my n85, the same issue came up during beta testing. What is worse there is no way to figure out what is broken. Can you advise whether there is some logging information I can provide so I at least know which contact it is crashing on,

Please use plain text.
Employee

[ Edited ]

Is there an error message or is it crashing as you stated?

Next actions to be taken depend of the encountered behaviour.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I just get a standard Ovi Suite has had to close, but here are the details. I should say I have 2062 contacts, although each time it crashes it creates some duplicates.  Is there a logging switch I can set to get details of  the contact it crashes on? It also seems to interfer with outlook meaning I cannot write to certain folders, ie I get a message saying you do not have permission to do this, I then need to restart outlook.

The error says NokiaOviSuite.exe has encounted a problem and needs to close. The details are

Please use plain text.
Employee

@godot2010

We believe we have isolated the actual problem and are working for the fix that is planned to be available in the future versions of Ovi Suite.

Meanwhile as an immediate workaround, could you please try out following procedure:

1. Open Thunderbird application and check from Tools/Add-ons Extensions that Thunderbird Address Book Synchronization Extension version is 7.3.1.75. After this Thunderbird application can be closed or left open
  2. Close NOS application using Exit option from menu – File/Exit
  3. Using Windows Task Manager kill NokiaMServer and Nokiaaserver processes using End Process Tree option
  4. Restart Ovi Suite and retry to synchronize.

Please let us know whether the workaround helped.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

[ Edited ]

@Alles

Thanks for the tip. I tried your suggestions:

1. Open Thunderbird application and check from Tools/Add-ons Extensions that Thunderbird Address Book Synchronization Extension version is 7.3.1.75. - CHECK OK! After this Thunderbird application can be closed or left open - DONE
  2. Close NOS application using Exit option from menu – File/Exit - DONE
  3. Using Windows Task Manager kill NokiaMServer - DONE, however I could not find the Nokiaaserver process listed by the Task Mgr.

Restarted Ovi Suite, Contract synchronization - FAILED I received the same error message as before.

Please use plain text.
Employee

@jamesmucklow

We need to study your case more deeper. We'll contact you for more details and with instructions how to create needed logs soon. Thanks for your patience.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Feel free to email me and tell me what you need

Please use plain text.
gser

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have the same problem with my special TB address book but ... I observe that:

1- Synchronize contact is OK with  default address book:  abook.mab, unfortunately it contains only emails addresses ... Not very useful for phoning!

2- OVI don't  see "my special address book"  (with my all contacts information's): impab.mab

3- I switch the contents of these 2 files: TB run always OK with the new abook.mab

4- OVI synchronization  abend with this 83950005 error

NB: My TB profile is on a special directory on D: drive (not the default profile)

Windows XP SP3, OVI V2.1.1.1,  TB V3.0.3 and Nokia 2730 Classic

Regards

Sorry for my bad english (I'm french !)

Please use plain text.
gser

HI,

I make some others tests....

I have restored the standard  file abook.mab ( just email addresses)...

I observe that:

- the synchro abort/wait on an email entry  who contains french accent, I suppress this one

- after that, the synchro is OK

- I update manually one entry, with phones, full postal addresses

- Now the synchro is OK  on my phone...

I think that OVI abort on a problem for reading one entry, unfortunately the error message doesn't contains the name or reference  of this entry

The OVI support must  improve information on the error message! 

Please use plain text.
Employee

Could you try following work-around and let us know if that works:

1. Open Thunderbird application and check from Tools/Add-ons Extensions that Thunderbird Address Book Synchronization Extension is installed and enabled
  2. Open NOS Tools->Options...->Contacts and at the Sync with contact application select Do not Sync. Select OK and perform a sync operation.
  3. Open NOS Tools->Options...->Contacts and at the Sync with contact application select Mozilla Thunderbird. Select OK and perform a sync operation.

-Puumis

Please use plain text.
gser

Hi Puumis

Thank you for your suggestion

Results are:

0- Thunderbird extension are OK

1- With "do not synchronize" option and no contact        ==> OK   (of course !)

2- With "do not synchronize" option and one contact manually insert on my phone

==> not OK  838c03f2  error

but the contact is inserted on NOS, not inserted on ovi.mail

2- With  "synchronize Thunderbird" and the full address book on thunderbird

==> not OK   838c03f9  error

but all contacts are inserted on NOS and my phone , the previus manually phone contact is inserted on Thunderbird, not inserted on ovi.mail

NB: NOS address book contain postal addresses, but not on my phone !

On my phone (Nokia 2730 Classic)  I have just names, phone numbers  and email addresses  (perhaps it is an other problem ....?)

I do not use ovi.mail, it is no a problem for me if ovi.mail contacts are not synchronize

Remarks: Synchronization take a very long time (15' for 196 entries)

Think you for your help, it's OK for me

Regards

Georges  (from France!)

Please use plain text.
Matt_Keefe

I'm having a very similar problem to those above. I do not get an error message however - I simply get nothing. Ovi Suite syncs with my phone, but it isn't syncing with Thunderbird. My phone and Ovi Suite show 210 contacts while Thunderbird has 302. I've tried all of the above workarounds, I just get nothing - the sync goes ahead fine, but nothing from Thunderbird. It's like Ovi Suite just doesn't recognise it's there.

I notice that I have three folders in my Thunderbird address book - Personal Address Book, Thunderbird, and Acquired Addresses. Do I need to make sure the contacts are in one particular folder for Ovi Suite to find them? I have tried most permutations of this, however, without success.

I am also unable to send texts from Ovi Suite, though I do not think this is related, but worth mentioning it just in case?

Please help. My phone is a Nokia 2600 Classic.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grrh

Hi, I'm able to sync between Thunderbird Lightning (3.0.4 ; 1.0b1) personal adresbook entries and Ovi Suite 2.1.1.1. It seems to quite properly, but I still face major problem: The sync feature only seems to cover the personal adresbook and forget all the other address books!

As with a lot of other Thunderbird Lightning users, I use several addressbooks to distuinguish between family, business, press etc. and have total approx 800 Thunderbird contacts.

Has anyone any tips&tricks how to select/enable specific Thunderbird adresbook files within OVI Suite?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
godot2010

You are lucky! I could never sync contacts with Thunderbird, except with the last beta version, where it worked flawlessly. Go figure! I  worked with Puumis on the problem. I have no idea if my files helped Nokia to sort out the problem on 2.1.1.1.

Now I am testing V.2;.2 - sync with Tbird does not work either. You are right. Nokia will also have to sync the Calendar with Lighting. I just wish they would fix the contact sync first before the are adding more features.  There seem to be too much emphasis on the other 'goodies' like photo sync music sync.. Its OK fro kids but not too useful for most business types.  

Please use plain text.
Professor
tpt635601

Hey,

Hav u guyz chcked this in latest Nokia Ovi Suite 2.2.0.245?

If my post helped you, click on Kudos button :smileyvery-happy: and if my solution provided is opt 2 u, accpt my solution :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.