Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problem with the installation file

Teddy323

This problem is never "Solved" !!!

I received the "Belle" upgrade email  for my nearly forgotten X7 this morning.....wow, may be a good reason to bring the Nokia back to life again, Following the instructions and started downloading the new Suite 3.3..........the only thing I get is "error in installion file, please download again"

Download again......and again..........and again.....from Asia site, UK site, US site....... 3 hours passed........still no luck........:-(

Ok, I am giving up...... I will go back to Itune now........ until Nokia know how to get thing working.......

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

What kind of source you are using for the Nokia Suite update?

What is your location?

We need to understand why only some people have this kind of problem.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lilys_Dad

Several months ago when I got my C3 I tried every avaialbe Nokia site ( Canada , US , Europe ) on several of my computers and each time I received the same error. I then Googled for the file and found it on Softpedia. The file I downloaded from there worked without issue.

I tried yesterday using Nokia Canada and the installer ran successfully. I can't explain why , this was just my experience. It was EXTREMELY frustrating...I tried every combination of browser , operating system etc I had and each time I got it from a Nokia site , the file failed. I'm happy that it finally worked for me , but obviously , others are still having issues...

Please use plain text.
bitmap

Hi!

Have the same issue. If you want to update to Nokia "Belle" (formerly Symbian Belle) you have to install the latest version of the "suite". But if you can't install it, what can you do?

We need a proper answer that really works!

In previous version you had to battle with connecting to Nokia's server (which never worked). In this smoking hot version you have another struggle with a certificate. For a few users this problem turns out to be a quick fix, but for the rest of the bunch who haven't succeed - where's the solution?

I have never been able to use Nokia Suite (formerly Ovi Suite) because it cannot even start the installation process.

I'm going to monitor this thread for a while and, in the end, hopefully have the luck to update my device. If this is not the case i might go back to the simplicity using my grand old E61.   

-> Nokia E7-00, Running "Anna" (and don't ask me how i succeed installing it)

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

The installatation shoud works properly.

Check you installation file, try to download it again, try to install to another PC.

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
saswat

No point in downloading the file again and again. The problem is that the root certificate of verisign is not installed in the system To do that, just download "VeriSign Root Package" from http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html. Then install all the certificates. After that there should not be any problem to install it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
moucherie

I have found the resolution to the error.

Please go here: http://www.verisign.com/support/verisign-intermedi​ate-ca/code-signing-intermediate/index.html to update your Intermediate CA certificates.

You will see 2 boxes with garbled text - one primary and one secondary. Please copy and paste the text each into a text file using a text editor such as notepad. Then save those files with a .cer extension, and then import those certs into Windows by right clicking on those .cer files and selecting Install Certificate from the menu. Then follow all the defaults.

Please use plain text.
Shinigami84

Thanks, I have been able to install Nokia Ovi Suite from softpedia. I also installed certificates, hopefully I won't have problems with installing Nokia Ovi Suite updates any more.
Thanks for support, users!
Please use plain text.

Yes, this worked fine for me !

I could install Nokia suite frome the file " Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe"

Accept the update. Phone is C5-00 MP

Thanks a lot !

Please use plain text.
Attila123

Based on

/t5/Nokia-Suite/Nokia-Suite-3-2-100-installation-problem/td-p/1208369/page/3

I tried to install the Verisign Certificates as well as Windows Media Player 11.

Nokia Suite still refuses not install!

It's quite lame from Nokia that they can't display a decent error message.

The installer should specifically complain about some missing dll, missing certificate, etc. One key factor of software quality is the decent error handling, which is apparently missing here...

BTW, if I go to Properties (of the installer exe) -> Digital Signatures -> Details, it says that the Digital Signature is OK. But again, I installed those certificates.

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Hello Attila123,

Please provide detailed information what kind of problem you have?

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Please use plain text.
Attila123

Hi Marina,

Thanks for trying to help.

It had the usual nonsense, misleading error message:

"Problem with the installation file

There seems to be a problem with this installation file. To be able to install Nokia Suite, download the latest version from http://www.nokia.com/nokiasuite."

Now I realized what the problem was (after wasting most of my afternoon yesterday debugging this (I also utilized Sysinternals Process Monitor to debug the problem, but it didn't help)).

I was trying to install to a Windows XP SP3 Virtual Machine running in Oracle VirtualBox (host was Arch Linux x86), and I tried to run the installation package from the virtualbox's shared drive (e.g. I shared my Linux home directory, which was available as drive F: for the guest Windows).

This is strange because running the installer even from a normal network drive did not cause such problem. If I copied to the installer to the local disk of the Windows guest, it was also OK.

Needless to say, I didn't have such problem with any other installer package, they all worked fine when running them from the shared drive, only Nokia Suite did not. I guess there may be some esoteric functionality of network drives, which the virtualbox shared drive did not implement (correctly), and is not needed in 99.9 % of the cases, yet the Nokia Suite installer relies on it, and fails to give correct error message, when this functionality is not met.

Marina, if you can file bug reports to the developers I would strongly suggest to implement correct error handling in the installer as it tends to mislead and cause problems for several users.

So now I could install the Nokia Suite and log in, but couldn't connect my phone yet (it remains to be seen whether it will work via the USB sharing via the guest and host). Another nuisance is that I can't see my contacts stored in my Nokia account (in a new computer) until I connect a phone. Or am I doing something wrong?? Why can't it just download them from my Nokia account? IMHO I should be able to see them online as well when I log in to https://account.nokia.com .

Please use plain text.
Attila123

In case somebody is interested, I created a ticket for virtualbox about this problem:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10648

Please use plain text.