Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Problems with syncing music to Nokia 5800XM

Problems with syncing music to Nokia 5800XM

Hi,

I have a problem with syncing my music to Nokia 5800XM. Details on the problem below:

Everything was fine for a first few days, but then I managed to get the latest updates to the Ovi software and firmware for my mobile, and something went wrong. I am unable to sync ONLY the music, when using the Ovi Suite or Ovi Player - everything else is syncing fine, e.g. contacts, messages, and so on.

- I'm using a PC Suite connection.
- When trying to transfer music to my mobile the Ovi Suite gives one of these error messages: "Operation failed - unable to read the tracks" or "Operation failed - unable to copy the tracks".
- The Ovi player does not recognize the connection at all and the "Tranfer to" option is grayed in.

Also, sometimes I get repetitive message when I connect my mobile to PC: "Found New Hardware - MTP Device", and it just keeps popping out in a eternal loop.

Phone firmware: 31.0.101
Ovi Player: 2.0.1106.00
Ovi Suite: 2.0.2.42

I also tried to repair/re-onstall all of the apps, but without any progress.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Problems with syncing music to Nokia 5800XM

I'm having exactly the same problem, I'm using an N97 device with FW: 20.2.019.

Last time i was able to load music to the N97 was this last Tuesday.

OVI Information:

Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0.2.42

PC Connectivity Solution 9.45.0.0

Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.23.0

Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2009.40.0.60128

Maps Service API 3.0.38.0

Nokia mPlatform 2.6.40

Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 1.1.0.77

Also, I'm running Windows 7.

Any help would be pretty much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am having a similar problem, but slightly different. Ovi player recognizes my Nokia 5800 XM and I can tranfer certain music files, but does not recognize all of the mp3 music files on my pc. It only shows recent albums that I have ripped in certain album folders rather than my entire music collection, which is all in the same directory.  Is there certain meta data or bit rate that OVI player is looking for to recognize an MP3 file as a misic file? I have about 10 gigs of music remaining to transfer that is not being recognized. I even tried saving the files directly to the memory card in the same folder as the others, but the player on the phone won't recognize them there either. Please help.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

in case anyone has the same issue as me above, here's the fix.

1.open the ovi player application on your PC
2.click the PC icon at the left side of the screen
3.go to file
4.select import music
5.choose the folder where you have save the music files on your PC
6.click OK
7.go to edit
8.click specify association
9.check the mp3 files
10.save

Thanks, Nokia Support!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Having this problem with my n97 mini. Not recognising the device on Ovi player so cannot sync my music as the 'transfer to' option is unavailable. My computer repeatedly installs the MTP driver aswell. Please help.....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
britfunlover

[ Edited ]

Sadly the above jmcates11 fix doesn't work for me. Nothing happens when I click on specify file associations - although it already shows mp3 files as associated. Neither can I copy and paste direct to my phone's memory card.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sfdsmedt

I have exactly the same problem with my 5800xm.

software version: 31,0,101

Windows 7

Ovi Suite: 2,2,0,82

I have e-mailed nokia about this problem, they suggested to use Nokia Ovi Player (but that program hangs while importing all my music...)

:-(

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JanoXM

I think nothing is improoved on this field, decided remove OVE SUITE. and install old one from Disc.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nrde

I have exactly the same problem as thread starter.

Since about 1½ months ovi player hasn't been able to find my XM5800 - also Ovi suite can't do anything to music tracks as they cannot be copied.

I have (de/re)installed Nokia connectivity manager, tried older versions of drivers and almost all the different solutions found with Google.

Also the driver install doesn't seem to work according to windows. With different devices that doesn't matter as the devices still work, but with the phone it does... Symptom is that the driver tries to install itself again everytime I connect the phone to the PC.

I have all the latest versions, FW, OVI music, suite etc. as of june 2010. OS is XP SP3.

Please use plain text.
shrek770

I am sick of Nokia.  The fact that no one can respond to this thread with anything that actually works.  I have exactly the same problem and cannot download music from the computer to my phone.   same driver problem too.  As soon as my contract ends, I'm off elsewhere.  This 5800 is rubbish.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
strangerx1989

hey pal run the nokia ovi suite as administrator... then u wont get this error.

Just right click the nokia ovi suite application --> Properties --> compatibility --> Check the run as administrator.
Phantomx1989
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hotmail2

I agree... setting the OVI to run as administrator fixed a lot of problems for me instantly.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alexmorgan1984

Yep, agree, run as admin
Please use plain text.
mlckiwigirl

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I've had so many problems with this software, it's almost unbelievable. Anyway :smileyhappy:

You had mentioned in this thread how you can get around the, 'failed operation', by running the software as administrator. 

I can't quite figure out how to do this.  I have Version: 3.2.100. It looks like my only option, other than properties, is options. From here I'm not too sure what to do next.

If you or anybody else can help, I'd would be very grateful :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
mlckiwigirl

Okay, I figure out how to run it under admin. Unfortunately, it hasn't solved my problem. I still can't put any music on this damn phone. grrr

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nrde

In case you haven't got difficulties seeing the phone as a removable drive, you can use for example winamp or mediamonkey to sync music to your phone. Or just copy mp3's from your harddrive with drag and drop. (it's "music" directory on the phone).

Please use plain text.
mlckiwigirl

They're good ideas. I wasn't able to snyc winamp to my phone. I know I can import music files into my phone that way, it's just frustrating that I'm unable to view these files through the library. The library does make it possible to for a better music experience, playlists, that sort of thing. Is there another way I can get the library on the phone to view the files?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you 'REFRESH' the library after transfering these files ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nrde

As farby mentioned, you have to update the library on the phone to be able to see the transferred files.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
spudulico

Exactly the same problems on my N8.

Nice of Nokia to actually look into this.

Also, Just seen the  new range of Nokia/MS phones. Hmmm. I really don't want to have to resort to an iPhone, but unfortunately, I don't see much of an option.

Nokia and Microsoft have always been so so slow to catch on to developments. It seems now they've joined forces, perhaps they'll actually go backwards :smileyvery-happy: 

Please use plain text.