Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Top 10 reasons not to use ovi ; stick with PC Suit...

Counsellor

Top 10 reasons not to use ovi ; stick with PC Suite

First I was impressed with all the ads on what Ovi can do and the improvements over the traditional PC suite but not after I installed the product

The product has many issues including but not limited to the followings:

1. The startup is 10 times slower than PC suite , the splash screen takes ages and sometimes it hangs for no reason.The sync process is very much slower as compared to PC suite
  2. The software sometimes crashes upon startup
  3. SMS , call and battery notifications are missing as compared to Nokia PC Suite
  4. Calendar cannot be viewed , I can only see (contacts , photos , messaging and Music) on the home screen
  5. You can't create any calendar entry of any type (meeting , memo , birthday , etc)
  6. Device backup time cannot be set
  7. Sync period with MS Outlook cannot be set
  8. Calendar items that are older than 4 weeks cannot be synced
  9. Under tools - options - device sync , I didn't select the message folder to be synced but the software has already synced SMS messages between the phone and computer! I didn't want to do that on my office PC!
  10. Cannot create MMS message as opposed to Nokia PC Suite

The same two products were installed on the same machine and used to manage the same 5800 mobile phone

I think Nokia should re-consider the release of this software before making it available with all of these issues and that more tests should be done internally by Nokia to confirm the stability of this application rather than to waite for users like me to report issues and bugs

Please use plain text.

Re: Top 10 reasons not to use ovi ; stick with PC Suite

[ Edited ]

I completely agree with you. PC suite was better but still with a lot of issues.Nokia is having some SERIOUS problems with PC software quality. Their QA team is non existent if you ask me. This is a real shame for a company like this. But if they have an QA, the QA manager should be FIRED immediately.

Message Edited by alesc on 25-Dec-2009 06:28 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Are Nokia going to apply any fixes for the

Calendar items that are older than 4 weeks cannot be synced

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I was pretty ok with nokia pc suite, figured new OVI suite would even be an improvement, but ....this really really stinks, I think it's the worst software I have used in years, it takes ages to startup and even longer to sync. That is if it doens't crash while trying to do this. I hope there will be an update soon, this almost makes me go and get an Iphone....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I completely agree with raedaljarrah. OVI is so broken it can't be fixed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have to agree about the poor quality of the OVI suite. I installed and tried it for 10 minutes, it was very amateurish looking and working, then I uninstalled it and installed PC Suite which works just fine.

Pretty bad software.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Completely agree with all - this is a very poor software release - it does Nokia no favours in a very competitive market. The only saving grace is that PC Suite is pretty good on the whole, and I can't see why the software engineers didn't just revamp the interface if there was a view that the old one was a bit dated (probably true).

Please use plain text.

I think the UI is more appealing and I have the feeling that synchronization is more stable with Ovi Suite than with PC Suite.

So often PC Suite lost the bluetooth connection and could not reconnect and sometimes it was "Disconnect - Connect - Disconnect - Connect - Disconnect - ...". Even with the phone lying close to the laptop.

I was really happy to be able to trash PC Suite. But of course Ovi could become a little faster and a little more memory friendly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Reason 11: Synchronising Calender with Outlook means always synchronising Tasks as well (even if you do not want it). Also sync is not unidirectional, so Outlook Tasks gets on the Nokia Mobile and synced back into Outlook while breaking all formatting, f.e. characters like ` turns into lower quote signs an so on. In PC Suite there was an option not to sync back from mobile to Outlook.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Reason 12: No Lotus Organizer Support
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I just wanted to back my support for all the messages above.

This product is badly designed, untested and not a patch on the previous suite.

(Although the first few releases of the previous suite were pretty poor, and I suppose there are a number of operating systems and phones they need to support).

I hope they get a stable release soon, but I won't be using it.

It is very unproffesional that the product maximises itself when you start you PC (as always have blue tooth on) as people can see your images and text messages.....not good.

And the calendar functionality doesn't work it just crashes the product during the sync.....

Good luck.

Matt.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Reason 13 - OVI suite always wants to synchronise my entire Outlook Contacts database.

With PC Suite I synchronised my mobile telephone with a sub folder of my Outlook Contacts. I do not want to synchronise my entire Outlook Contacts database as this would be too large and unmanageable on my 'phone.

You can't seem to do this with OVI Suite.

This has to be a step backwards in software functionality.

It beggars belief that people are paid good money to produce software that is so poor and regressive. It may look pretty but it really must offer substantially more functionality before it is released.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

A "me too" - I hate OVI suite and now that I have found all rather than some of my contacts have been sync'd I'm having to spend time I don't have restoring from and old outlook pst file.

Grrrrr.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I wonder if Nokia ever read these discussions? I doubt it!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have to agreeI tried the new Ovi suite this morningIt took about 30 minutes to install and then another 30 minutes to sync, even though I have little on my phoneThe interface is nicer than PC Suite, but the program is just too sloooow!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Reason 14:

The "menu" buries away functions. The classic suite presents phone information in one screen and is much easier to use without having to bury through sub-menus.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

couldn't agree more

Ovi is awful 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have been using Nokia PC Suite for quite some time now - without problems. Finally I decided to give OVI Suite a try but 20 minutes later I disappointedly rushed uninstalling it...and probably will never try it again until these MAJOR issues are fixed:

1. The support for synchronising content (files) has inexplicably been removed???
  2. Manually defining several parameters on synchronising the calendar (period before/after), video/music/file locations, etc.  – all those settings are gone!!!
  3. It still takes a whole lot of resources and synchronisation was not smooth at all – in less than 10 minutes I have got 2 error messages warning about not being able to complete the synchronisation and advising to reconnect the phone. Not to mention that synchronising the photo content (at least for the first time) seems to be quite a challenge for the software.
  4. Despite the better looking interface I didn’t find it more useful and friendly about negotiating critical information – the suite is clearly being developed inspired by iTunes (conceptually) and clearly focused on the younger, unsophisticated user (which is not to be criticised) but ELIMINATING the possibility to manually fine tune it and be in control as far as overall functionality is, in my opinion, a big mistake.  
 To me, Nokia’s message with this new OVI suite release was something like: “It’s stupid proof, it’s plug-and-play, go ahead you won’t get entangled. We give you music – nothing else matters!”    Dropping the good features for the sake of simplicity while disregarding the functionality as a whole - simply doesn’t work. It needs fundamental revising, it should be redesigned from scratch while promoting Nokia’s concepts and values not Apple’s. Nobody will buy Nokia’s products because they resemble Apple’s – if one is in love with Apple will buy Apple. Wake up Nokia, 40% market share is not written in stone!  
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am a long time user of Nokia phones and the PC Sync and I tell my friends the reason I buy Nokia is because the Outlook sync is so good.  If I lose my phone or buy a new one, I just plug it in, tell PC Sync to overwrite everything from Outlook to the phone this time and hey presto! I'm all set up to go.

I have installed two versions of Ovi and like others, I found that the options for tailoring the sync to how I want it to work - the specific Contact folder to use and the time frame for syncing calendar items - well, those options are missing.  And the sync took 15 mins to finally tell me that it couldn't be completed due to "a syncronisation error"!

Back to the drawing board, Nokia.  And in the meantime, please stop bugging me on PC Sync to install the new version of Ovi Suite.  It isn't going to happen!

Please use plain text.
Employee

muttleys wrote:
I wonder if Nokia ever read these discussions? I doubt it!

Yes, we do read these. Discussion forums are valuable channels of feedback for us.

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you in this chain are not happy with the product. I've been using it for months now and also seen the great development steps. I'm a happy user of it :smileyhappy:

To get the product also appealing for you it would be more useful to get some concrete data of your problem/s than just saying it's a peace of **bleep**. Some of you have provided the data, thanks for that. There will soon be updates, so stay tuned. Don't give up to your bad experiences... :smileyhappy:

Br,

Heidi

Please use plain text.