Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Top 10 reasons not to use ovi ; stick with PC ...

Contributor

Re: Top 10 reasons not to use ovi ; stick with PC Suite

I have installed and uninstalled Ovi suite twice now.The main problem every time i close it it crashes and i get the debug report.Must take 3/5 minutes to close the programme.Have gone back to PC Suite never had any isues with that.

I use windows XP.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I installed it then after about 4 hours of messing about with it I uninstalled it!

I was incredulous that a group of Nokia tech heads could sit down in a room with a blank piece of paper and a remit to come up with a new phone to computer software system and produce this hideous stupid thing called Ovi PC Suite my main gripes are

Syncing is absolutely atrocious

It probably has the worst piece of music software ever developed in the last ten years (A carrier pidgeon could transfer files over to my computer quicker.

The interface is counter intuitive on so many levels

But by far my biggest gripes are....

It is the biggest memory hog I have ever ever seen it uses up nearly all my ram

And Why oh Why oh Why did the developers think  that I needed ovi suite to be a start up program

C,mon Nokia

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

If I remember correctly, when you install OVI suite there is a checkbox there asking you if you want Ovi to run at startup. So my guess is you did not catch it? Its simple enough to remove from startup anyway. Go to Start>Control Panel>Programs>Change Startup Programs>Wait for it to load, then select Ovi Suite>Remove, and voila, no more Ovi at Startup.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

chanchan05 - with respect I think coldfilter realises that.

His point was, why do Nokia think the user would want to run OVI at startup BY DEFAULT?

Please use plain text.

I agree with the recommendation not to upgrade to OVI until some major re-engineering is done, unless you like to face frustration and rage, because OVI is clearly a step backwards in terms of stability (security probably too), performance, features and useability.

I just come from posting a report on here about a crashing OVI at launch on Windows XP, no matter how many repairs, updates or fresh installs are done.

And yes, I think the place is not read by any Nokia responsible. Maybe some bot called 'Heidi'.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Some other observations and comments as a reluctant Ovi user, in the hope that - is it wishful thinking? - perhaps someone at Nokia is trying to put right this software disaster.

When it first launched, I assumed that the image was a "splash screen" with fancy graphics but the Ovi App occupies the center of my 1680x1050 screen while it loads - oh so slowly on a Vista Quad core system with 4GB of RAM - and then displays just four options in a window the size of five iPhones.

Request: A small, movable and minimizable window on launch and a simple graphic window so users can choose where they want to go next.

Wait a minute - isn't that what we had with PC Suite?

Request: A "start here" dialogue on first run - OK, users who know everything might not want it but it would be good to decide on first launch that you don't want Ovi to run when Windows is launched, that you don't want to sync every sound, image and video on your hard drive(s) with the phone that is currently connected and that you want the phone and not the App to be the master.

Request: Please give us Tabs for the options, not four massive boxes that someone has decided are the most frequently used. Personally, I don't want a box that is visible five meters away with HEIDI in 48 point text and her picture beside it - I prefer to keep my contact names to myself. Similarly, the photo of me making a fool of myself at the office party is better shared between me and the person involved, not on the launch screen of Ovi where everyone can see it.

OK, I've used my bandwidth for the moment. I guess what I wanted to say was this:

Nokia, do you even have a usability lab and beta testers? If you do, please listen and learn. if you are going to spend more time on this application, do it for the sub-teen users of Nokia phones and make it more cuddly and less crash-prone.

For the rest of us, who rely on our phones to survive, design an alternative interface that is suited to business users. My E71 was supposed to be a Blackberry alternative, not an e-tail storefront or an entertainment center.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

....If I remember correctly, when you install OVI suite there is a checkbox there asking you if you want Ovi to run at startup. So my guess is you did not catch it? Its simple enough to remove from startup anyway. Go to Start>Control Panel>Programs>Change Startup Programs>Wait for it to load, then select Ovi Suite>Remove, and voila, no more Ovi at Startup.......

I did that but the my point is this every time you start up Ovi Suite it will install a vast amount of resource hogs on your pc  which you manually have to cancel!  look at the processes currently running on your computer  if you have Ovi running see how much ram its background programmes take up.Now shutdown Ovi and restart your computer  and dont start up Ovi now take a look at how much ram the application is using even though you are not using the App This is just plain wrong If I shut down a Programme I want every process associated with it shut down untill I need it especially if the programme is the biggest resource drain I have seen it recent years (for pitys sake even when I shut it down and restarted my computer it still was the biggest resource drain)

sorry but Ovi Suite is a throw back to the late 90s early 00s

Please use plain text.
Sage
hooker1uk

tried Ovi suite this week, and i'm sorry to say it's too sluggish. 

again how much memory does it use? 

Pcsuite uses with all sub-apps running about 80mb of ram 

ovi provides me with BSOD's 

my tulatin based p3 takes plenty of abuse and loves the abuse i give it (stable overclocked to 1400mhz and 768mb ram on asus p3-bf deluxe Mobo)  but ovi store kills it. DEAD. 

i hope they fix the bloat problems as some of OVI's apps look promising. 

Please do fix it as even symbian guru have noticed that Ovi = Poorly implemented products. in some cases. 

Anna/Belle handsets : E6-00
s60 handsets : E71 grey steel, 6700slide Purple
s40 Handsets : Nokia C3-01, 6086, N6300.
JesusPad2 16gb, booklet3g (32gb ssd upgrade) eeepc701SD (64gb ssd) bauer mini laptop (32gb ssd)

Kudos is Nice - please. Pass it on, you'll make a geek happy
@hooker1uk (as a blogger my words do not represent the brands i work with unless stated otherwise.)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@coldfilter - I did as you said, turned on Ovi Suite and checked RAM use. Basically my RAM is 3Gb, and without Ovi I use about 37% (**bleep** vista RAM hog), and when I turn on Ovi it uses about 40-42%, it like varies. So yeah, it uses about 90-150mb RAM. Buit when I turn it off, The RAM counter goes back to around 37%.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm so confused.

I intalled Ovi, connected my old 9300i and sync address book and messages. Went OK.

Then I added my daughter's 6085 to Ovi and sync.

You know what.. Ovi syncronized and combined content of my 9300i address book and 6085 addresses and copied them all to 6085.

´What I did wrong??? My daughter should remove some 300 unwanted phone numbers etc.which are now mixed into her own numbers... Fun... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I was an OVI 2.1 beta tester for several weeks (having used PC Suite for several years), and dutifully filed bug reports, supplied logs and screenshots etc. in the hope that it would improve. I think a few things got slightly better but in the end I just couldn't get over the fact that it:

- seemed poorly designed and implemented from the start

- had not learned any lessons from PCS, in fact really elementary design and usability mistakes were being made so it seems that they really have started from scratch (i.e. throwing the baby out with the bathwater)

- had less functionality than PCS

- was less reliable than PCS

- completely trashed my Outlook calendar after a sync. This was even with the released (non-beta) version 2.1, and was the last straw for me.

All I can think of is that Nokia have got themselves some more economic(al) development resource (maybe offshore?) and some new branding and so are trying to use that to replace PCS which I'm sure will be End Of Life'd at some point in the near future, as it's prolly  too expensive to maintain.

For now though I'm back with PCS and finding it refreshingly good!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am using Nokia PC suite for my 5800. I have tried OVI suite before.I must say that it was one of the worst softwares i have ever come across in my life. Some times PC suite pops up saying that OVI 2 is available. Leave alone installing it, i am scared even to download it. Such is the experience with OVI 1.

Anyone listening?

BTW if OVI 2 is any good pls let me know.

Please use plain text.
vvojtek1

I also agree with You! I'm using ovi one day with my e75... after uninstalled!

1. I can syn contact from my sim card

2. ram and cpu

3. not stable

btw. 

I suggest this suit is good for non experience users...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am planning to upgrade from my N82 soon, and I have been waiting to see what happens to PCS. However, it does seem that PCS will have a limited life and that Nokia plan to replace it with OVI Suite, in which case I will definitely not be buying another Nokia - even though I find the Sports Tracker superb. Good as Sports Tracker is, it would take more than that to make me use OVI. In fact, I am disappointed not just with the Nokia OVI Suite but with OVI altogether. I suspect I have purchased my last Nokia for some time.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I believe, Heidi, if you take into consideration only the replies up to this point you already have lots of good, concrete suggestions for rectifying the MULTITUDE of existing problems. Furthermore IF Nokia really uses these forums as a guideline feedback they should already have enough reasons to be concerned with replacing a fully featured and stable piece of software for one full of flaws and missing basic functionality. With this in mind I feel compelled to say it once again – Apple should NOT be used as a model. A Nokia customer wants good products NOT Apple-like products. If I wanted an Apple I would have bought an Apple but that would work against you, Nokia.    

Please use plain text.
mcicogni

Employee writes:

> There will soon be updates, so stay tuned. Don't give up to your bad experiences...

Updates? The poor wretch needs a complete rewrite, not an "update". Too many assumptions were plainly wrong, unless the aim of the suite is a market made up of young unemployed folks who spend their time listening to music.

Unfortunately Nokia has successfully sold a number of "Enterprise" devices, aimed at the professional market, and it seems to me that that is where most complaints (including this one) are coming from.

So, if it's going to be a segmentation, OK, just tell us - and not force onto us some youngsters' bloatware toy.

And then please just update PC suite. I don't need flashy graphics, I need to:

• securely backup my 1000+ contacts, that are the life and blood of my daily job
  • correctly sync my agenda (and no, I'm NOT an Outlook user) so that I won't miss that important meeting
  • download updated maps so I don't get lost trying to reach that new customer

in the best and most bug-free way :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
ovioverrated

CONTACTS Nightmare:

I recently downloaded the new Ovi suite expecting all the same functionality that PC suite has and more, sadly this is not the case.   I use PC Suite to synch my Outlook calendar entries and contacts and it works like a dream.  I am a corporate user and Nokia 3109 phones are our business standard.  PC suite means I have all my diary and contacts with me even if I don't have my laptop or internet access available.

I tried to do the same synch with my newly downloaded Ovi and have had huge issues.  The worst is that my 300+ contacts have had their addresses and any notes I had truncated at around 120-150 characters, layout of addresses seems to have changed - carrriage returns removed and therefore any longer lines of address text are then truncated too.

I re-synched using Ovi to see if this was just an error and I ended up with around 250 contacts duplicated.

The final result:

1. Search Ovi to see if it stores the truncated data anywhere - no it doesn't 

2. De-install OVI and tell everyone I know who uses PC Suite not to use it

3. Go through now nearly 600 contacts to check which duplicated ones have the most information as the records are not identical each time.  Remove those I don't want.

4. Go through all the contacts to see which numbers I am missing and try to make contact with those people via other means to get the numbers back

5. Re-synch with PC Suite

6. Learn NEVER, EVER to install new software until you really know what it can and cannot do compared to its predecessor

Please use plain text.
Advisor

1. OVI suite is slow to startup

2. Wants to have Nokia M server running and wasting resources all the time

3. sync with Outlook and not Google/TRhunderbird. Hello this is 2010 calling

4. For work I took a picture of a PCB mod with my N79, thinking that it would be the fastest way to get something into the documentation of the military hydrophone pre-amp I'm working on. 20 mins later OVI **bleep**esuite is still trying to sync photos. If I try and just use Windows Explorer file browser tends to take 5mins just to list the directory on my phone.

Who ever thought they could release this SW? That's my profesional opinion as a Senior HW designer with a degree in Computer Science from a major UK university.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Oh, new version includes sync with thunderbird...

Wait for new verion

"software cannot update, another process is ongoing"

ok restart Ovi suite

"need 2GB of free Harddisk space, only 1.16GB available ". **bleep**, for a 78MB program, ok, delete some thing, retry

waiting, waiting,

"software cannot update, another process is ongoing"

Great user experience here...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

After 2-3 retries managed to get Ovi Suite to update. Only took 2 retries (with long wait of busy cursor) to update the Ovi suite interface sw on the phone... Excited to use the new Ovi... Maybe it's great and bug-free?

Ovi Suite 2.1, now with 50% fewer bugs! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.