Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Where does Ovi suite store SMS messages?

Registered Member
Zoop57

Where does Ovi suite store SMS messages?

I want to back up all the SMS messages i have synced in Ovi Suite to a second location in case something happens, but I have no idea where they are stored, could anyone shed some light?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Netusboy

Re: Where does Ovi suite store SMS messages?

C:\Users\Rubens\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store\DataBase\MDataStore.db3

You need set the visibility of the hidden files on in Windows, ok!?

Please use plain text.
Sage
vinay19882

just do one thing make a backup of the folders inside the

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Data Store"
And put them again in the same location on your laptop after installing NOS.

Username is the login name of the computer

This will solve your issue. This mdatastore.db3 contains a complete information about all your data.
If you like my post then Plz click on Green Star on left side to add Kudos

Also, if you find my this post suitable to answer then plz click on "Add to Solution" tab on right
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Zoop57

Wow i never though my question was going to be answered thank you! worked a charm
Please use plain text.
Sage
vinay19882

it's ok buddy......

Also, if you find my this post suitable to answer then plz click on "Add to Solution" tab on right
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rahulkadukar

Is there a way in which I can edit the DB3 file

Please use plain text.
Sage
vinay19882

Yes, you can open the .db3 file with SQLite Expert which you can download from the given link. Her is the link:-

www.sqliteexpert.com/

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cjs56

I'm attempting to get the SMS messages from a nearly dead phone!  I have got OVI Suite running and have sync'd the messages to it.  I have used sqllite to read the resultnat .db3 file.  But I can only find SENT messages (in the MessageEx table).  I cannot find inbox messages anywhere!  But OVi Suite displays them quite happily (even with th phone disconnected).

So can you please advise me as to where the inbox are stoed by OVI Suite (so that I can extract them to a flat file).

Many thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you read the complete thread ? and searched accordingly !!

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
neilh250

Hi. I've lost all my contacts, but when I try and restore them both Ovi and PC Suite look for a .nbu file, but I only seem to have a .db3 file on my system. Any idea how I can restore my contacts from a .db3 file? Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kvito

Say I bought a new computer, or needed to install ovi suite agian,  

can I paste the file with all the info, in the same place and it wil work with all my SMS still available?

Hope that made sense...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

bros, i have a problem!

i need to transfer all my data from nokia PHOTOS to the new nokia ovi suite 3.

For photos there is no problem

the problem is for sms: in nokia photos sms are stored as *.txt file format, in nokia ovi suite they are stored as *.csv

how can i handle this? please help

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

albert78 wrote:

bros, i have a problem!

i need to transfer all my data from nokia PHOTOS to the new nokia ovi suite 3.

For photos there is no problem

the problem is for sms: in nokia photos sms are stored as *.txt file format, in nokia ovi suite they are stored as *.csv

how can i handle this? please help

This may help..

http://www.colinwoodhouse.co.uk/txt-csv.htm

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591173

or.. see details of TXL-Wizard

http://www.softinterface.com/Convert-File-Programs/Convert-Excel-File-Programs-Target.HTM

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Sorry firend, i don't mean to be rude,  but it sounds CREAZY to me that NOKIA developos 2 software (ovi photos and ovi suite) NOT COMPATIBLE to each other

Are in Nokia such NOOBS????

should i convert manually all my sms to make them funcionally to the "new great" nokia software?

it's incredible, i can't believe it ....nokia is such incompetent

Please use plain text.
Sage

Actually, what I find problematic is that Ovi-suite (and Ovi Music) use the same data store.

Contacts (if not synced to outlook), Text messages and music library info are all stored in the same rather unreliable database.

I have the problem that certain of my music files were not added to the library (or don't show op in it to be precise) and Ovi lacks any database management functions , such as rebuild, repair, export.

This means i cannot rebuild my music lbrary without nuking all my archived text messages (on the PC).

Granted iTunes has not much in the way of data management functions either, but then again the iTunes library never showed any inconsistencies that i couldn't fix by removing and re-adding library items.

In OVi, once the add of a media file to the library files, all hope is lost, the file can never be added to that same database. However, it will add fine into a new database on the same machine.

With a product that is as unreliable and unstable as Ovi Suite and its database, we should at least have ways to repair and fiy issues, otherwise the task of keeping data current and synced just gets exceedingly tedious.

Ever seen a black lemon? They turn black when they rot. My N97 is black. 'nuff said
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ovi123

Hi, I couldn't find the locaiton you mentioned. I did the visibility for hidden files.

I even search for *.db3 files, But I couldn't find those on my system :smileysad: Still ovi suite shows messages very well .

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Starting from 'Users'... till which folder you could go..???

Please use plain text.
Sage
vinay19882

just do one thing make a backup of the folders inside the

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Nokia\Nokia Data Store"

Username is the login name of the computer

This will solve your issue. This mdatastore.db3 contains a complete information about all your data.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Arbu11

In Windows 7 you find the folder:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Nokia\Nokia Data Store

I believe you should copy the whole NOKIA-folder (the one in Local)  to your new computer to the same place (C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local) but I'm not sure... Maybe you only need to copy the "Nokia Data Store" or even some of the folders inside the "Nokia Data Store"...

I will try this soon by myself and I'll let you know if it worked fine!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hackie

Now, I have this problem. I just did a hard reset of my nokia n97 after trying everything I read about freeing memory on N97 (N97 has a very small memory) without any luck. I synchronized all my contacts and messages with ovi before I proceeded with the hard reset. Now, I want to put my messages back in my phone inbox from ovi messages but I could not do that. How can I go about that? I was able to put my contacts back from ovi contacts but not the messages. I hope I get a reply soon. Thanks

Please use plain text.