Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Windows 8 mail/calendar/people apps

Counsellor
CameronS

Windows 8 mail/calendar/people apps

How do you sync a Nokia phone with the new native Windows metro apps, using Nokia Suite?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Nokia Suite is not compatible at all with the Lumia series of devices, only Symbian and Series40 and N9 devices. There is the Windows Phone app for Windows 8 that syncs your photos, videos and music.

As for the mail/calendar/people etc, if you check your Windows Live account, your email and calendar entries will be present from your phone in there. In fact, I just checked People account just now and all my contacts on my 920 appear in there (added a new contact yesterday and its already there).Syncing is automatic, but if you wish to do it manually, you can go to Settings > Email and Accounts and press and hold on Microsoft Account and tap on Sync.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Since both Windows 8 and Windows Phone sync with your microsoft account you need to use any of the options in this post to make this work. When done you will see your Nokia device data come up on Windows 8 apps just like on any Windows Phone device.

The only option which will not work as it is specific to Nokia Windows Phone devices is to use the SkyDrive option within Nokia Suite.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

ok, I can see I wasn't specific enough. How do I sync my N8 SYMBIAN (ie. NOT Windows Phone Lumia anything...) with the native Windows 8 mail/people/calendar apps?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

It seems I had a bit  of a reading issue there.. sorry about that. :smileywink:

I can't say for sure if Nokia Suite will sync with WIndows Contacts but if it does:

Use Windows Mail, a part of Windows Essentials, Log in to Windows Mail using the same Microsoft Account as the one which is used for Windows 8. Contacts can be imported in to Windows Mail as follows:

• Open Windows live mail
    • Go to contacts
    • Click on import
    • Import from current Windows user

Another option would be to install Outlook 2010 and create an account for your normal Windows 8 log in. Outlook will want to install the Hotmail connector which you must allow. Once setup sync contacts and calendar to it using Nokia Suite. At this time Office/Outlook 2013 is not compatible yet.

Now follow the instructions for contacts and calendar to get your data to your Microsoft account. You will now see these also appear in Windows 8 people and calendar. Once complete you can uninstall Outlook if you like.

Now you create a new mailaccount for your Microsoft account on the N8 using Exchange Active Sync. Use these credentials:

Username and mailaddress: Your Microsoft account address

passowrd: the obvious

server domain: hotmail (may not be required)

mail server address: m.hotmail.com (may not be required)

You will see your data now being synced back to the phone from your Microsoft account. from here on out both the phone and your Windows 8 PC will stay in sync.

Good thing is when you decide to join the Windows Phone ecosystem all you need to do is register with the Microsoft account. to sync contacts and calendars

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

Thanks for your detailed reply Paul, and I can see how that would work. However, your solution (and it seems Microsoft's intention) means all my contact, calendar, and mail information would be stored on online servers (hotmail in your suggestion). This is a very different use-case to my current configuration, where everything is stored locally on the phone and the computer, and they are kept in sync automatically. I don't want all my information in the cloud where others can get access to this information (there is at least one system management group for each of those cloud servers who can access all information).

I can continue happily with my current configuration under Windows 8, except I can't get any of the information stored locally on my computer to appear in the Metro tiles. Nokia Suite does a really good job of keeping everything in sync, but uses local stores (which I want). I was just wondering if anyone knew of any magic to get the builtin Win8 applications to show that local data.

Why local stores (apart from security)? I don't get any more functionality out of using the cloud, and for my phone to sync to the cloud (when I'm out of wifi range) I will be using mobile data (costs...). When in wifi range, I'm near my computer, and therefore don't need the cloud to sync.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

Oh, and Symbian has a severe limitation that restricts a user to only one ActiveSync connection. Mine is already used to connect to my work server (have on idea why Nokia wouldn't implement more than one connection, as I'm sure everyone has work email/contacts/calendar, and personal equivalents).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

CameronS wrote:

I don't want all my information in the cloud where others can get access to this information (there is at least one system management group for each of those cloud servers who can access all information).

I can continue happily with my current configuration under Windows 8, except I can't get any of the information stored locally on my computer to appear in the Metro tiles.

Why local stores (apart from security)? I don't get any more functionality out of using the cloud, and for my phone to sync to the cloud (when I'm out of wifi range) I will be using mobile data (costs...). When in wifi range,

Care to provide proof for your rather bold claim? I am pretty sure no person has access to your data on your Microsoft account in any readable form. A link to a site containing this proof will be sufficient here.

Windows 8 People and Calendar sync with your Microsoft account, not locally. And you're telling me you do not have a data plan for your phone and pay per MB?

Cloud has many advantages over local storage. As far as security goes the chance someone breaks into your house and steals your PC and you lose ALL your data is much, MUCH greater than someone cracking your Microsoft account. Also if you are halfway around the world you still have access to your data which can't be said of the data on your PC.

---

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

CameronS wrote:
Oh, and Symbian has a severe limitation that restricts a user to only one ActiveSync connection. Mine is already used to connect to my work server.

A Lumia Windows Phone will solve all your problems here in one big swoop

---

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

I don't want to get into a debate over my N8 v Lumia phone, except to say there are many things my phone can do that a Lumia can't. Irrespective, as the customer my choice is always right... the N8 is the phone I want and use, and have been using happily for some time now - it's the update to Windows 8 that is causing me grief, not my phone.

As far as system security goes, I am a system admin, and to administer a server I need access to all parts of the server. This means all data on the server. Sure that data can be password protected, but I can take a copy of it and do as I please with that data. Do Government agencies or the military store their data in publicly hosted clouds? Why not?

...and to suggest that my local device is providing me with a view of the remotely hosted data still doesn't make sense to me. What if I lose connection to the remote data? (that's a rhetorical question, because I know the answer: Windows 8 keeps a copy of the data locally anyway. You just can't manage that data locally). So Microsoft is forcing us to use remote management tools to update data that's stored locally, and at the same time allowing us to store the same data types (contact info for instance) in local data stores to be managed locally (Windows Contacts for instance) but not allow us to see that data in the new flashy interface. Like I said, doesn't make sense to me.

It still apears to me that there's no way to get a Nokia phone (Lumia or not) to keep local data on the phone and a Windows 8 Metro app in sync without the use of cloud services - wierd!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Well as far as this goes;

'It still appears to me that there's no way to get a Nokia phone (Lumia or not) to keep local data on the phone and a Windows 8 Metro app in sync without the use of cloud services - wierd!'

That's with Microsoft and not Nokia obviously

And sure, you are free to choose to use whatever you use, but you will have to live with it's restrictions one of which is you can only have one AES account on Nokia Belle.

Lastly your system admin reasoning is rather funny. First of your cloudservices holding your Microsoft account and Skydrive data are not 'publicly' hosted. You may be a system admin, but you have a lot to learn on security and how these services work. You are not talking about 'a server' here to begin with and your data is not available to any system admin in any readable form. If they are able to get to your data at all it will be encrypted and they will not be able to get any usable information from it. If I put encrypted data on your server you may be able to copy the file but you will not be able to see what contents are in the file nor be able to decipher it.

Again, getting your house broken in to and your PC with all your data stolen is much more likely to happen then anyone hacking the Microsoft servers where your account data is.

And you can actually manage the synced data locally just fine. If I sync with my Microsoft account and drop the connection the data is still on  my phone or PC and I can change or remove it as well as add new data. When the connection is re-stablished it will sync the changes and subsequently so will all other devices or PC syncing with the same Microsoft account.

So when I am in the USA and add a contact there this contact will sync to my home PC as soon as I get home, turn it on and log in.

Your PC is not the central hub here, your Microsoft account is and everything syncs through it.

The only time you need 'remote management tools is when you first introduce data from a source which is not able to sync to your Microsoft account, such as the contact list on your N8. ONce synced all clients will update and use that data as well as be able to edit it.

But this is horribly getting off topic and out of context. I hope you enjoy your N8 for as long as you can but do not blame the world for going on and leaving old technology behind. 

---

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Symbian is a dead os now in maintanance mode,Lumia and windows phone is the way forward.However if you feel your N8 can do a whole lot more than the Lumia and is future proof so be it.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.