Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

difference between Nokia Ovi Suite and Nokia PC Su...

Contributor
erik7

difference between Nokia Ovi Suite and Nokia PC Suite?

Maybe I totally missed it, but what's the difference between the new "Nokia Ovi Suite" and the "Nokia PC Suite"?

Is the NOS perhaps the new NPCS?

Thanks!

Nokia N97
Firmware 22.0.110
Please use plain text.
Professor
tpt635601

Re: difference between Nokia Ovi Suite and Nokia PC Suite?

blank_page

Hi,

Old PC Suite vs Old Nokia OVI Suite 1.1x,

/discussions/board/message?board.id=pcsuite&message.id=31544#M31544

but in Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0.x.x, ucan send sms to and from Nokia OVI Suite too, but Nokia OVI Suite has got its own limitations in PIM sync like, u can sync only for 12 months future data 1 month past data, outlook folder, and few u can c in these forums. as of now no support for Lotus Notes in ovi suite, mms and video etc., for knwng better u can read complete posts in this forum of Nokia OVI suite....

But overall Nokia ovi suite will b d 1 & only application in future for your phone & pc.

If my post helped you, click on Kudos button :smileyvery-happy: and if my solution provided is opt 2 u, accpt my solution :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi there

Can anybody tell the advantages/disadvantages of Nokia OVI Suite over PC suite and vice versa ?????

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

If a gibberish post precedes this, then I'm sorry for the keyboard errors.

I am using an E63 running Quickoffice and a Vista PC running MS Outlook 2003, Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

Like many other posters, I was prompted to update my PCsuite to Ovi.  I use PCsuite solely to sync my E63 with Outlook and with various files (pdf, doc and xls).  I have found the same problems and irritations as others (slow response to sync commands and the 800xxxxx errors on calendar sync).  These all went away after a few reboots and sync runs.  My observations so far on the difference between the Ovi and PCsuite:

Calendar - limited to sync 4 weeks prior to 12 months future, PCsuite has n years prior and future.

Ovi produces random duplicate repeated events (up to 2 years prior and 4 years future despite the above limitation)

Contacts - Ovi can't select the Contact list from Outlook (I have separate friends and business contact lists), which is possible in PCsuite.

Tasks - Ovi again produces random duplicate repeated tasks

Files - no facility  to sync via a briefcase (as in PCsuite), although copy possible in Windows Explorer.

Music and photo sync - I haven't tried this as the choices of directory/file filter look very simple and since I have over 5000 photos and 2000 music tracks on my PC, I didn't want to start something that could take ages to finish/undo.  I found the Nokia music manager in PCsuite unreliable in Vista, so I use MS Media Player, and copy photos with Explorer.

General - there is no log of the changes made, which can mean a long check of your entries to validate the sync.

There is no apparent facility to select the direction for an entry copy (so how do you fill up an empty phone), although you can select the priority source for the case when both sets have been edited.

Ovi makes an automatic check on your phone firmware vs. the latest version.

Nokia have told me, in a very prompt reply, that they are addressing these issues in the Ovi update.  I can't see why it was necessary to replace PCsuite which worked most of the time with a product with much more limited functionality.  I shall stay with PCsuite.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buzz13

Ovi suite is actually PC-Suite with a revised GUI and substantially reduced functionality.

Oh, and it crashes (under Vista) a lot more frequently as well. 

History:2110i, 5110, 6210, 6310i, 6111, N80, N95, N900, C5-03, Lumia 710, Lumia 920, N9, Lumia 930

I guess I'll use DOS since nobody supports CP/M anymore...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

With OVI I can't read mms and videos from the phone!!:smileymad:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm still using PC Suite, because OVI doesn't have multimedia messaging, nor a calendar display. I'm not too bothered about the calendar as I use the Vista Calendar and synchronise it with no problems, but the lack of multimedia messaging is a pain in the proverbial. Can't say I'm too keen on the messaging screens either, PC Suite is simpler and more compatible with my mobile file structure, and it updates itself after a send - so I don't have to re-synchronise to see the sent message. At present, I can't see any reason to use OVI in place of PC Suite.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

When it comes to Ovi suite i find it difficult to use as it doesn't have a decent calendar. I realise itis in Beta but it should in my opinion start with the functions of the PC Suite then they can change the UI to give it a more inproved look and funtionallity as with the TXT messages. They are greatly inproved in the OVI suite over the PC suite. My main gripe is a decent calendar in the OVI would make it a great improvement. Until this issue is rectified i will be sticking to the PC Suite.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ihateovisuite

Yes I can tell you quite simply the difference between PC suite and OVI suite.

PC suite was quite a crude and clumsy application that was counter intuitive and had a poor user interface.

OVI suite is different.  It is much much worse and crashes so often it is no longer a useful app.

You will find that OVI suite is close to being unusable on Vista as it freezes frequently.

I used to be a Nokia fan and I loved their user interface...but they lost the plot a few years back and now make disappointing phones with poor software. 

Can't wait until my Nokia E71 is out of contract and I can throw the wretched thing away and get a phone that works consistently

Please use plain text.
baylanger

>>> ihateovisuite wrote:

>>> PC suite was quite a crude and clumsy application that was counter intuitive and had a poor user interface.

You wrote "it was", so today it's better?  I have no problems.

>>> OVI suite is different.  It is much much worse and crashes so often it is no longer a useful app.

I've had no problem with OVI Suite under Windows XP -- could it be something else?

>>> You will find that OVI suite is close to being unusable on Vista as it freezes frequently.

Could it be Vista bluetooth implementation or usb or ?  I didn't check but did you check to make sure you have right drivers, etc.... and BTW Vista is piece of **bleep**.

>>> Can't wait until my Nokia E71 is out of contract and I can throw the wretched thing away and get a phone that works consistently

I have a few people here with E71, no such problems -- mine is E72 and it runs good.

PB

Please use plain text.
Sage

erik7 wrote:

Is the NOS perhaps the new NPCS?

Yes. Ovi Suite replaces PC Suite, or at least that is the long term plan.

PC Suite will at some point be discontinued, but may be supported for a while yet. Developments under the hood for Ovi Suite allows for future improvements and possibilities that PC Suite will not be able to deliver. On the UI, Ovi Suite is a re-write in Qt which is a cross platform UI.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Biff27

How about one works and the other does not?

PC Suite works ok.

Ovi Suite does not.

My plan is to stick with PC Suite on my main system.

Eventually, after months/years of time, I will try Ovi Suite on another PC system (& Nokia account if possible), but only for map functionality.  But I will be sure to take a Windows system restore point before installing, since I may want to uninstall it again.  And I will also backup the phone first.

The Map Downloader application is still available somewhere on the Internet.  Although I installed it, I have not used it yet.  PC Suite finds it and launches it ok.

Before the Ovi Suite started crashing and became unusable, I was able to download all the current maps I needed.  That was the first thing I did with the new phone was get the free maps I expected to need for the next year or two.  I bought the phone for free European maps that don't require a data plan.  That was the key selling point for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sum_It

NOKIA N97 MINI

Dear Friends,

My personal Opinion after being for a long time fan of NOKIA products.

1. They use to manufacture products which I thought some genius is behind the same but alas I dont feel the same anymore.

2. N97 Mini the much hyped product - if you look at the no of steps required to find the contact number of one of your contacts, you will feel that the company either does not have a sound back up in terms of R&D and testing.

3.So called "Symbian "  has only resulted into more time taking taking for each step and they call it user friendly..

4. The service is so pathetic, ( I have used Nokia N93 Music edition) , I must have placed so many complaints...but their call centre executives talks in a language like a " rattu tota ".

I am **bleep** off with NOKIA as a brand and I would love somebody giving me an alternative brand. More than twice it has happened that I was on the verge of buying SONY ERRICSON..but I got carried away with Nokia...its not going to be next time !

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mortenoslash

erik7 wrote:

Maybe I totally missed it, but what's the difference between the new "Nokia Ovi Suite" and the "Nokia PC Suite"?

For my part, the difference I feel most urgent is that Nokia PC Suite did (and still does, if you download and install it - and your phone supports it) have a syncing calendar and contacts with Lotus Notes. Nokia Ovi Suite does not have this sync.
Nokia wants the Lotus Notes users to switch to Lotus Traveler for this kind of sync. Sadly this is not an option for many of us. 
If the Lotus Notes sync is no longer available on future versions of the Nokia companion software, I will sadly have to find myself another phone provider, as the syncing with Lotus Notes was one of my main reasons for using phones from Nokia.

My postings are done on basis of my own opinions, and are not done on behalf of organizations I am or have been member of, nor employers I have or have had.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I hope there is a very large pit for us all to throw our e71s into. I have to use Ovi to do anything with maps and PC to update the Calendar!   It is not just the Ovi/PC debàcle.  The S60 operating system is the pits.  First it used to hang, then it would switch itself off when calls were received, then the keyboard response went haywire, and I cannot mention maps without a nervous breakdown.  It is the oppostie of intuitive and I have had to spend hours learning how to do simple things.  It seems you have to reinstall software every couple of weeks to keep it operating.   Today, it will not send mails (oh, and Ovi has stopped working altogether).

I bought it because the old Nokias were ultra-reliable.  Nobody mentioned that the operating system is like computers used to be twenty years ago.   My God, the new Nokia boss has a lot to do.

My son has bought a new iPhone yesterday.  Five minutes home and it is fully functional.    'Envy' has just scaled a new peak. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buzz13

Ovi has stopped working altogether.

This implies that at some stage it was working.

I infer from this that you actually got it to do something resembling the function you wanted from it.

If this is true . . .  CONGRATULATIONS !:smileyvery-happy:

Ovi suite is like PC-Suite with all functionality removed, slowed down by a factor of 63 and a user-hostile GUI inserted.

Fortunately, my N95 is still supported by PC-Suite & my N900 is not completely supported by either ( but a little more by PC-Suite).

Oh and by the way, I think I did read somewhere that earth-moving equipment is being leased with a view to digging a "very large pit". Site to be announced.:smileywink:

History:2110i, 5110, 6210, 6310i, 6111, N80, N95, N900, C5-03, Lumia 710, Lumia 920, N9, Lumia 930

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rsadana1

Did you by any chance update your firmware. I have a 2 yr old E 71, I have used it quite a bit and I dont have any such problems after I did a firmwre update 1 yr back.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hermanusle77

I have had a Nokia phone since 1998, and as soon as I entered the corporate world in 1999 I started using Nokia PC Suite. Through 11 years I have always had Nokia, and aslways used Nokia PC Suite. I synchronise between PC Suite and Outlook every day every time my phone connects. I have never had problems, and love using it.

Well, now Nokia has lost the plot with OVI suite. It messed up all my contacts (which I have been carefully and diligently been keeping up to date on Outlook for 11 years), it duplicated all my photo's, music, calendar entries everything. It took me two full days just trying to sort out the mess that OVI created.

Maybe that mine in Chile seems like a good place to put OVI Suite.... If OVI suite ever replaces PC Suite then I am replacing my Nokia with a Blackberry or iPhone! That I can assure you...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
buzz13

Hmmm.

The mine in Chile sounds just right!

But it's a bit extreme to abandon Nokia over Ovi Suite (and totally unnecessary).

I read somewhere on one of their sites that PC-Suite is to be discontinued sometime in the next few years.

However, there is still hope..

Don't get a Blackberry or iPhone.... Get a N900. It's a Nokia but like the others not supported by Ovi Suite (well hardly).

Seriously though, when PC-Suite asks "Do you want to upgrade"

JUST SAY NO!

If you've already done it, I'm pretty sure the upgrade doesn't uninstall PC-Suite it just removes the shortcuts so you can find it & re-instate it.

I'm currently using PC-Suite V 7.1.51.0 (don't know if it's the latest) and it synchs & does everything needed with my N95, including the maps (3) functionality.

Because  of issues with the N900, I then synch the N900 with the N95 & everything is fine.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the guidance.  I have reverted to Nokia PC but it is disabled for software updates and maps (I think).  It is certainly the only way I can do a normal sync.

If it was just Ovi-Suite, I might be tempted to stay with Nokia, but it's everything related to software/firmware.  OK that's a bit extreme.  But currently, I cannot send mails from Contacts (it tries to connect to the wrong mailbox - going into Nokia mail and starting from there is fine) and the GPS has died.  It just came back from three 18 days 'repair' to fix other problems - and these have appeared. 

I am seriously thinking of ditching it and buying an unsubsidised iPhone as I still have a long contract to run on the e71.  I am not an Apple fan but I am very envious of the trouble-free life that my sone and now my wife have with theirs.

They shouldn't have capped that mine today.   We could have filled it with e71s.  It would be a shame because the hardware (like all the other Nokias I have known) is solid and dependable.  It's the   *¬=?"@#+++~~**   software!

Please use plain text.