Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

how to reinstall firmwares with ovi suite?

Contributor
thejauffre

how to reinstall firmwares with ovi suite?

Hi to all,

it's a little time i'm wondering how to reinstall a firmware on my nokia 5800. i think it has many problems (i.e. when i try to attach a note to a calendar event, the application crashes); but i can't find the way to do this with ovi suite.

any suggestions? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thejauffre

Re: how to reinstall firmwares with ovi suite?

ok, i searched on the net, and discovered that there are some programs i could use to "flash" a firmware on my nokia, but i am not sure they are good. should i try this way? or i will surely lose the warranty?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

download Ovi Suite from here.

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Ovi_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe

then after installation, click on Tools, Software updates.

you will see next to the icon of the device, something saying, "reinstall".

follow the instructions and let it make a backup before the update.

DO NOT disconnect the usb cable during the whole process, as it may make the phone useless.

Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Contributor
thejauffre

Thanks for your answer! however, i have already installed ovi suite, but when i go on tools>software updates it only shows me some application updates, and there isn't that "reinstall" button...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

see this.
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2295/capture522.png

it should have that option, unless you have a network locked device, i think in that case you won't have the ability to install/reinstall the firmware.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
thejauffre

ok, i repaired ovi suite, but there isn't that option...

what does it mean that my device is network locked?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

do you see any logo of the operator on the device?

when did you buy the device?

maybe you got the v52 firmware via O.T.A (over the air) and the full package is not yet available on the servers of Nokia, so you can reinstall it.

just wait a few weeks, they will release it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
thejauffre

no, i bought my 5800 more than two years ago (on 28 feb 2009) and it is a no-brand device. i don't remember if i updated OTA, but it's very strange i cannot reinstall the firmware... as i can remember, i could do that using nokia software updater.

so, what should i do?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

have you tried with Software updater?

http://betalabs.nokia.com/c?n=91&t=http%3A%2F%2Fnds2.betalabs.nokia.com%2FNokiaSoftwareUpdater%2FNok...

both applications connect to the same servers.

just wait.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

As per some threads on this forum.. the 'REINSTALL' option appears only if the Device firmware was updated atleast once..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

i don't believe that's true, because the moment i got the 5800 (my previous phone) on my hands, it was never updated.

a few weeks later i successfully updated it using Ovi Suite.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

In that case there is no truth in these reports... my apologies..but I have known from these posts only, by other users..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

[ Edited ]

Just checked for my Nokia 5800xm for which the Firmware was updated by me and Nokia X3-00 for which it was never done... and see the difference...

@ pavilion_alex BTW I re-read your post.. and you have mentioned that you have successfully updated and not re-installed...

Please use plain text.