Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 5800 from the US?

5800 from the US?

I have a couple of questions about the Nokia 5800. I'm now in the US (visiting from Finland), and I'm wondering if I should buy the phone from here.

1. How does the warranty work? If the phone breaks in Finland but I have the receipt, can I fix the phone for free in Europe or do I have to send it back to the US?

2. Does the North American 5800 differ from the European version? As a Finnish guy, I need the ä & ö letters. Can they be found in the NAM version as easily as in the European version? If not, can I download the language pack or something to change the "keyboard" to a Finnish one?

Thank you very much!

Michael

Please use plain text.
Sage
gtbarry

The only part I can answer is that US 3G frequency is different than the European 3G frequency. So, you will be using only EDGE (and WiFi) for data in USA with a European 5800 when you are here.
Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

1. Warranty is only applicable for the country of purchase. So a phone bought from USA won't be covered in Finland.

http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-and-software/repair-and-recycle/warranty/limited-warranty-inform...

2. Gtbarry already covered the possibility of non-compatible 3G frequencies.

Aren't phones purchased in USA usually tied/locked to the local networks? If that's the case, you probably won't be able to use another SIM card other than the one it's locked to.

Whether the service centers in Finland will unlock the phone (if locked) is up to them. There may be a charge if they do it.

Don't know about the symbols. Sorry.

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."
If you found someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to the post! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

pamdemonium wrote:
snip...

Aren't phones purchased in USA usually tied/locked to the local networks? If that's the case, you probably won't be able to use another SIM card other than the one it's locked to.

US Phones are all unlocked. No carrier sells (unlike in the UK). Any SIM will work. Generally, it's better to buy a local phone for ease of service. IMO

Message Edited by musiclvr on 01-Jun-2009 10:33 AM
Please use plain text.

Ok. Well, I guess that it will be easier just to buy it from Finland when I get back.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Michael

Please use plain text.

Um, I'm looking at that link you gave me. I'm not finding any information that the warranty woun't work in Finland. The only part that I found is that I have to pay the postage myself.

Are you sure that the warranty won't work?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

If the phone fails then you'll have to send it to a NCP in the USA for the guarantee to work.

As for the letters with accents, you'll have them and Finnish predictive input if Finnish language is installed in the phone. You won't be able to do this yourself and nearly all Care Points refuse to do it citing technical impossibility (which is a load of nonsense).

You really will be much better off getting the phone when you get back to Finland. You'll have a phone that works on 3G networks in Finland (a US-bought phone won't), Finnish language (and English) will be installed on the phone and you'll have a 24-month warranty (except on accessories) that is valid throughout the European Union instead of a 12-month warranty valid only in the US.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

pamdemonium wrote:

1. Warranty is only applicable for the country of purchase. So a phone bought from USA won't be covered in Finland.

Warranty in for a product purchased in any EU (European Union) country is valid in any other EU country.

Please use plain text.

Ok, got it. Thank you all for answering!

Michael

Please use plain text.