Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: A few queries regarding the beauty that is Nok...

Contributor
Accepted Solution

A few queries regarding the beauty that is Nokia 5530 - Xpress Music.

I got this beautiful lil machine a lil over a week back. It looks lovely, and sounds even better. And even though, being a student/intern, it cost me more than my monthly salary, I am mighty pleased I got it. And despite the opposition before, it's a great hit, both at home and work. :smileyhappy:

Just a few queries regarding the usage from my experience so far, the answers to which I could not find in this forum and a few other review sites. [Apologies if I'd missed something.]

1- First, the battery. It only lasts for a little over a day on full charge. From what I'd heard and read, it looked like it should last quite a bit a more, atleast 2 full days. The phone even hung up a couple of times, while recording/playing video. Upon which I had to remove and reinsert the battery. How seriously wrong is this ?

2- How do you forcefully exit an application, if need be ? It suggests in the guide, and from the reviews I read, there's supposed to be an exit and a start button with the applications when you bring up the task manager. Where're they?

3- There's this option where you can insert a Slideshow as your Wallpaper. But when I go to it, select the desired images, [ Tried various random images, yes ]it only shows Options and Back button, when select Back, it just goes, well, back. Nothing really happens to the wallpaper. How does that work ?

4- This might seem like a petty issue, but it can be pretty annoying. Once you go to Options and tell it you are marking, e.g. in the Inbox or the File Manager, how do you mark multiple items, WITHOUT having to go to Options >Mark >Mark/Unmark for each item ? What's the point of having a seperate Marking option in the first place then, when I could just Move or Delete each item seperately anyway. 

5- And last, any news on a free full version of a document viewer ? From what I looked up, it costs around US$70, which is about a quarter of the phone's purchase price itself. And that's not a modest sum, that too for a basic application such as this, for a anyone with my status.

Just so any prospective buyer or amateur user such as myself doesn't get scared off by the seemingly long list of inquiries, the phone's an absolute pleasure to use. Specially, for someone with their first Touchscreen/Symbian experience. I got this phone after a LOT of research, both online and in the field. And it's bloody well worth it so far. 

I know, it's a huge post, but you'd have my utmost gratitude for an accurately detailed response. Thankyou. =)

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: A few queries regarding the beauty that is Nokia 5530 - Xpress Music.

Nothing ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. Depends upon your usage. Turn down screen brightness, and switch bluetooth off unless you'll use it. It should help in maximizing battery life.

2. When you open the task manager, hold the icon you want to forcefull exit, it would bring up two options, open and exit.

3. It takes a while for the slide show to switch backgrounds. It takes like 1 minute (at default) for the image to change. What you could do is go to Menu>Settings>Personal>Themes>Wallpaper and change interval, shorten the time for it to change. 

4. There's a third party app for this if you want. Its called Pencil.

5. If you just want a viewer, its free. You can download it somewhere in this site. The thing that costs $70 is an editor.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thankyou, chanchan. That really helps, a lot. I sincerely appreciate the response. =]

I shall go look for the viewer, and the Pencil app. The exit thing's working like a charm, which is very relieving, thankyou. Will give the image show a try soon too. 

One more thing. You could perhaps tell me if there is a way to turn off the camera sounds ? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

There is no legal way to do it. ^_^. As far as I know, the process for taking it out without hacking the phone still isnt perfected.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, so it IS possible. Then it must be on Google somewhere. :smileytongue:

Am not very sure of this hacking thing. Have some undesired repercussions, could it ? 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Why of course. Something happening to your phone during the process would brick it, not to mention that the attempt would install something in your phone that voids the warranty, meaning that you just made yourself a very expensive paperweight. ^_^. We're not really allowed to talk about it, other than the fact that with the above possibility, I strongly advise you not to do so. There is a way to do it without hacking it. I know of people who have managed to do it without hacking, but it was on the 5800. Hmm, ok, maybe they'll work for you too though.

http://forum.dailymobile.se/index.php/topic,4254.0.html 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi - I'm new to this board but wanted to ask a quick question.  I have the 5530, love it, but the battery is rather disappointing.  As an example running the music player, no bluetooth, offline mode, no wifi, with blank screen, I get about 8 hours playing time and the battery dies.  Nokia states running time should be somewhere around 27 hours.  I've also noticed the talk time is much lower than the specs Nokia states.

Is it my battery that might be at fault or is this pretty normal running time for the 5530?

Thanks in advance,

B

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks again chanchan, installing it right now. Huge help bro. :]

Hey and, the Slideshow thing ? Still can't quite figure it out. I do what I think am supposed to do. I go to Image Slideshow in Wallpaper, I select the desired images, press Back, set the Interval to 1 minute, then press Back again, since there is no other option as Done or Apply, and well, it does just that, goes back. And nothing happens. The check mark still remains with either of the two options, Default or Image, whichever I had selected previously. And even after 1 minute of waiting, the wallpaper remains unchanged. What did I miss ?

And to the person above, turning the screen brightness down a couple of notches worked well for me. But yes, the battery isn't anywhere near as good as the specs had us believe.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

hi chanchan

U seem to me that u can help, my 5800 xm cant play flash videos on web pages after upgrading to v30. Plz any idea how to go about this. Regards for ur reply.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@bloodnickel - the quoted time on the spec sheet is when you play music only, no other application running, on the background, default built in theme with no animation, no wallpapers being used (except for default), and in offline mode, meaning that your phone isnt looking for a signal. Thats why the spec sheet looked so great. A lot of the battery is being used for the signal finding for your network.

@eich - Why dont you leave it alone for like 5minutes and see if the wallpaper changes? Then come back.

@me_to_u - were you able to play them before? From what I know you cant since adobe still hasnt released a compatible flash player for mobiles that plays flash player 10, which is being used on most websites now. You have no one but adobe to blame for it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
RhomANZ2

[ Edited ]

@Chanchan05

I think there is a Flash Lite 3.1 update for 5530xm to improve web streaming and touch capability but is only available using Software Update program on your phone.  Any info on this?

Message Edited by RhomANZ2 on 26-Oct-2009 01:38 AM
Nokia 5530 Xpress Music

v11.0.054

"How We Respond Is Who We Are..."
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

the last time i updated, nothing happened. Although I havent tried again, as I was on v20 then.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramkrishna13

bro am planning to buy nokia 5530 express music us unlocked mobile  phone...

but my friends r sayng dat u may get some problems regarding warranty issues...

if my mobile get any problem is warranty available in ind...

plz help me...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramkrishna13

plz bro help me...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

If you live in India, which I'm guessing you are because of the "krishna" in your name, and you buy it outside of India, then you are not covered by the warranty.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramkrishna13

kk bro... my brother is  bringing dat mobile...

but in ind it costs around 14k... in US 10k..

tell me about restriction code..

i hav sent a mail to nokia care.. den dey replied me

//Further, please be informed that Nokia mobile phones purchased from other countries may be network locked. Hence, you will not be in a position to use your phone with any other service provider other than the one collaborated with the dealer.
In order to use your phone with any other service provider, you would require a restriction code. We suggest you to contact the dealer (place of purchase) in order to obtain the restriction code and for further assistance in this regard. //

wat should i do to get restriction code... even though am buying unlocked mobile is dis restriction code.. available...

Please use plain text.