Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle - A big step backwards.

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Belle - A big step backwards.

databird wrote:
No, the arrow cursors and green check are stacked on the left of the keyboard. It is probably due to the installation of the old Swype.

Well, the screen shot I posted is the stock Belle keyboard in landscape mode. If you can't fully uninstall Swype (usually an eight second power button press is needed to uninstall) then perhaps a factory reset will give you your proper Belle keyboard back.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
molecom

databird wrote:
Keep in mind that Nokia is not working on Symbian improvements.

But Accenture is.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chewbacca

I followed the advice given to me by John Tesla, one of the moderators on here. Since the upgrade I still love my N8, granted there have been one or two days of sorting out but overall I think Belle is fine. :-) 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
molecom

Chewbacca wrote:

I followed the advice given to me by John Tesla, one of the moderators on here. Since the upgrade I still love my N8, granted there have been one or two days of sorting out but overall I think Belle is fine. :-) 

What was the advice?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
databird

[ Edited ]

Ray wrote:

"

databird wrote: No, the arrow cursors and green check are stacked on the left of the keyboard. It is probably due to the installation of the old Swype.

Well, the screen shot I posted is the stock Belle keyboard in landscape mode. If you can't fully uninstall Swype (usually an eight second power button press is needed to uninstall) then perhaps a factory reset will give you your proper Belle keyboard back.

Ray.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry you misunderstood - I agree, but the original complaint was about the reorganization of the landscape keyboard. I suggested that the reason it doesn't look like your screen shot is that it probably is showing the 'old' Swipe keyboard (perhaps deactivated). The stalled beta Swype from Labs is better for people with fat fingers.

The organization is disconcerting but without a resistive screen on the touch phones, using the keyboards become onerous, especially if rearranged. If you don't like Swipe, it is almost better to go the predictive text keyboard.

Bruce   :smileyhappy:

Nokia in USA since 1998 - lotta units flowed under this bridge! N8-00 now.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
msmys

Re: False Advertising on Nokia Maps Suite 2.0

Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 was recently released, and is advsertised released for both Belle and Anna. However, there is no Nokia Maps suite 2.0 for N8 Anna. I guess Nokia has decided to abandon Nokia N8 Anna users for good...

.. time to jump ship? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pauli_p

msmys: time for you to install Belle.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bushika

One would think that as "Advisor" you could give a better piece of advice! You are not understanding the users' plight with this half-baked "upgrade" called belle.
Please use plain text.
blinddrew

Just installed Belle, wish I hadn't. Should have read this thread first. Apart from a few ugly icons the thing that's killing me is the wifi connection:

1) it doesn't remember my key

2) it connects, says it's connected, and times the connection, but web, maps, social etc all say it's not connected!

I've tried the fix earlier in the thread but that has done nothing.

A smartphone with no internet connection is a phone. Does anyone know of either a fix or a way back to Anna please?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
molecom

[ Edited ]

blinddrew wrote:

Just installed Belle, wish I hadn't. Should have read this thread first. Apart from a few ugly icons the thing that's killing me is the wifi connection:

2) it connects, says it's connected, and times the connection, but web, maps, social etc all say it's not connected!

A smartphone with no internet connection is a phone. Does anyone know of either a fix or a way back to Anna please?

I don't experience your problems. Remember. Memorymanagement is better with Belle then with Anna.

Moderators note: attempt at discussion of unofficial way to change device firmware removed

Please use plain text.
Advisor
databird

[ Edited ]

molecom wrote:

blinddrew wrote:

I don't experience your problems. Remember. Memorymanagement is better with Belle then with Anna.

Roll back tutorial

Perhaps you do not experience these problems but blinddrew apparent does and the your answer is not terribly helpful.

I did experience these problems but they have subsided possibly by rearranging the saved internet settings in settings/connectivity/settings/network destinations.

It remains to be seen if memory management is better, or if the underlying programs are just shutting down better - but that is not the problem here.

BBC

Moderators note: reference to removed content removed

Nokia in USA since 1998 - lotta units flowed under this bridge! N8-00 now.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
molecom

[ Edited ]

databird wrote:

Roll back tutorial

Perhaps you do not experience these problems but blinddrew apparent does and the your answer is not terribly helpful.

I did experience these problems but they have subsided possibly by rearranging the saved internet settings in settings/connectivity/settings/network destinations.

It remains to be seen if memory management is better, or if the underlying programs are just shutting down better - but that is not the problem here.

BBC

Moderators note: reference to removed content removed

1. I think it can be helpful what I wrote.If you or whomever is having problems that doesn't mean everybody has them. You know if you arn't satisfied, rollback!

2. I send "Blinddrew" another message with something he ask for and which isn't allowed to post here.

I can tell you that's VERY helpful!

I overal. I am quite satisfied with my N8 and Belle.

What is this moderator removing. There wasn't anything? Or was it my sig?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

Please send me a private message with the information that can't be posted in the forum, or if that's not allowed, I can send you my email address.

For whatever it's worth, I've now got a N8/Belle that works fine (within the limitations of the Belle software). For day to day use, I've got no complaints. I still prefer my other N8/Anna, but I rarely need the things that Anna can do better than Belle.

As to this discussion though, it is possible tot make a N8 with Belle perform reasonably well, as long as you don't need any of the capabilities/functioins that no longer work. What you can do is limited, but it's very nice at doing the things it can still do.

Moderator's Note: Discussing any rumours about yet unannounced or possibly upcoming Nokia products is not allowed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
molecom

[ Edited ]

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Please send me a private message with the information that can't be posted in the forum, or if that's not allowed, I can send you my email address.

For whatever it's worth, I've now got a N8/Belle that works fine (within the limitations of the Belle software). For day to day use, I've got no complaints. I still prefer my other N8/Anna, but I rarely need the things that Anna can do better than Belle.

As to this discussion though, it is possible tot make a N8 with Belle perform reasonably well, as long as you don't need any of the capabilities/functioins that no longer work. What you can do is limited, but it's very nice at doing the things it can still do.

Moderator's Note: Discussing any rumours about yet unannounced or possibly upcoming Nokia products is not allowed.

Mike I agree with you.

Moderators note: Removed abusive language and speculation on future updates (naming convention).

Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

Got Belle on my N8. Overall impressions are good. Minor irritations:

1. Flash Player
2. Power Management
3. Log*

I (think) I fully understand taking away these features that I've - we've as Symbian users - taken for granted for so long. On other platforms, you have to buy security software, you have to buy power management software, you have to buy data management.

Ever since I upgraded to Anna*, Log has not worked. I've notice apps for these things in the Store. Not buying, sorry. This is the problem btw.

There was too many free stuff, now, the government is running a current account deficit as it seeks to affect a culture change from freebies to PAYE -- somebody has to pay for these infrastructure upgrades. This is probably why Pixelpipe has been broken since Anna, and there's still no fix.
6210, 6310i, N70, E90, N8
I've seen* the iPhone4/4S, iPad2, Moto RAZR and SIII for a few minutes - all very good. Lumia 820 (WP8) is a fantastic piece of work.

Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. RIP, giant.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jadonx

Almost put off updating by this topic but read this review which is quite favorable. Its just available now for my N8 on Virgin and am pondering whether to install. My bro has no problems with it btw on his N8

http://techmobility.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/nokia-symbian-belle-review-turn-page.html
Please use plain text.
Sage
archie_

As it turns out, Power Management is still in Belle, but has been moved. Press the Power Button, it's in that menu. Perhaps an on screen shortcut would have been better, but these it is.

I'm still for Belle.
6210, 6310i, N70, E90, N8
I've seen* the iPhone4/4S, iPad2, Moto RAZR and SIII for a few minutes - all very good. Lumia 820 (WP8) is a fantastic piece of work.

Symbian connected me to the world, to my dreams.. RIP, giant.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Chewbacca

All of this problems are resolved by installing Belle properly on your Nokia N8.

Please try to make a backup of your Personal data using the latest version of Nokia Suite.
Make sure you don't make a back up of your phone settings.

Then on your device, enter the following code.

*#7370#

12345 for the security code, unless you have change it yourself.

This should restore the device to the factory settings, erasing everything from your device.

After this, please re-install the Nokia Belle update.
Finally, restore your personal data.

Your phone, should work now perfectly.

All the best,

John_Tesla
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Hi Mike_Myers_N8,

For this information please refer to the forum guidelines. I have attached a direct link below:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Discussions-Guidelines/Guidelines-read-these-first/td-p/1

Hope this helps.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Chewbacca wrote:
All of this problems are resolved by installing Belle properly on your Nokia N8.

Please try to make a backup of your Personal data using the latest version of Nokia Suite.
Make sure you don't make a back up of your phone settings.

Then on your device, enter the following code.

*#7370#

12345 for the security code, unless you have change it yourself.

This should restore the device to the factory settings, erasing everything from your device.

After this, please re-install the Nokia Belle update.
Finally, restore your personal data.

Your phone, should work now perfectly.

All the best,

John_Tesla

As one of the people who has not yet updated to Belle - due to the number of people who are bemoaning the fact that they wished they hadn't - can someone please tell me ....

1. If I update to Belle, using the method described above, will I lose all the applications I previously bought or got for free during Nokia's 'specials' where a lot of quite costly apps were donwloadable for no cost?

2. I presume I will need to set my phone up as if it were brand new - new exchange settings, wifi etc - basically everything - is this right?

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.