Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle Clean Installation?

Advisor
jlscott777

Belle Clean Installation?

I have had my N8 for about a year now and have been very pleased with it but I am quite excited about the Belle upgrade due next month.  I was wondering however if it is possible or advisable to do a clean install of Belle rather then just upgrading Anna.  I have often done this with my desktop and Windows and have found it worth it in the long run even with the pain of having to reload all of my software.  Any comments from the people a Nokia would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

Re: Belle Clean Installation?

[ Edited ]

There are two methods to update phone's software.....OTA (over the air) on mobile phone itself or using Nokia suite on pc

If you update using OTA method on your phone then it only gives you the differential package (ie. you update only those things that have changed) whereas the PC update puts the complete image on your phone. Therefore you will also see different file sizes (PC update being a lot bigger in size then the OTA update).
In other words updating phone via Nokia suite will be a clean software installation

'In God we trust; all others bring data!"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Also, if you don't mind the pain of re-installing all your applications over again, you can do a factory reset of the phone before and after the update just to make sure there is no junk left over from Anna.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
vivekpsingh

Will the symbian belle update be available via OTA also or only by PC Suite ?????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

vivekpsingh wrote:

Will the symbian belle update be available via OTA also or only by PC Suite ?????

I can't answer that with any degree of certainty. I have read on some other web site that it will only be available via Nokia Suite and not OTA, but I tend not to believe everything I read on the internet :smileywink:.

If it's not available OTA and you don't have access to a PC you should be able to take your phone to a Nokia Care Point and they can update the firmware for you.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.