Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle FP2 808 - Bad Focus & Too Slow Shutter Spee...

Sage

Belle FP2 808 - Bad Focus & Too Slow Shutter Speed

I am consistently disgusted on how dumb the focus on the 808 is. I have countless photos where everything on screen is blurred out even with focus light on and Human faces detected by the actual camera. Sometimes I have to touch focus 3 times to get a non retarded full screen photo.

&

Consistently the shutter speed is too slow for clear photos.

ps. This is all on default automatic mode.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Belle FP2 808 - Bad Focus & Too Slow Shutter Speed

Also the camera App randomly hangs in a black screen and doesn't want to open for an extended duration.

I have actually recieved an error once telling me the camera app is unable to open and told me to exit the app.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

If it's faulty, return it.  My 808 focuses fine.  I hold down the button halfway until the rectangle goes green, then full press.  Or I touch the shutter button on the screen until the rectangle goes green, then release.

If you can't work out how to work it, buy an iPhone.

Just my 2 pence.

Please use plain text.
Sage

The phone appears to be using an image contrast based method of attaining focus. If it is clear and bright outside or contains objects that give off sharp highlights/lighting it will usually pick up on focus immediately. However if there is anything that involves flatter lighting, dull surfaces or it is dim out the phone can struggle to get focus. But the circumstances that do this can be laughable as they are not trick situations designed to make it fail. It can be very simple contexts where someone is sitting in a chair 5 feet from the camera in a dim room. Even with using the focus light, full flash and facial detection the focus system will give up and take a photo where the whole image is blurred. And not only will it fail to attain focus that one time but trying to retouch focus on the same spot will fail again and again. The only real way to get around it is to try focusing on a slightly different point or change the camera angle slightly in hopes the focus system will have better luck. These focus stumbling situations are usually easier to create in contexts of low light conditions. Which is ironic because the big claim for this phone using pureview and having its super powerful xenon flash is that it performs well in low light context. But the opposite is true. In low light the phone will struggle for focus, use a shutter speed too slow or nuke the scene with the xenon flash blowing everything out. It is evident they have a powerful camera but it needs some tweaking.

I take pictures everyday with the phone and have literally taken several thousand photos in a broad spectrum of conditions. It is very evident where the phone struggles:

-Bright light from sunshine can cause blown out images easily

-Trickling sunlight will usually result in blown out images or too slow shutter speed

-Low light conditions where the phone prioritizes on producing less noisy images instead of using fast enough shutter speeds

-macro because of the phones ridiculous minimum focus distance and really large wide angle lense.

ps. Here is a dollar. Go get yourself something nice.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

Mine works fine..
Please use plain text.