Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor

gvp1995 wrote:

The phone behaves much much better, ... but it does restart at least once a day.

So it seems there are at least a couple of culprits here - your phone may have needed the capacitor change as well.  Mine did not seem to behave any differently after the repair - but then again, it's fairly predictable when (read: where) it will reboot.  It's not based on "weak" signal per se in my case (the signal strength is actually pretty good in those areas) - but rather, what particular cell towers it's using.

Which leads me to (again) suspect that this is a firmware, not hardware issue.   A couple of data points to support this:

• My Nokia N8 (which I was using before the 808) started having the issue with stale cellular connections (same as the 808 prior to FP2) with the Nokia Belle upgrade.   Before, with S^3 and Anna, it was fine.
  • My 808 ran without any flaws for the first 3 weeks I owned it - its first spurious reboot happened while at a particular beach (strong network signal) on July 22nd.  The rate of these occurences increased significantly with Belle FP2 (which I installed in mid-September).

Regardless, the incompetence on Nokia's part in identifying and dealing with this issue (to the extent that they ever lift their heads ouf of the sand) is incredulous.    They obviously fired all their compentence, leaving only.... ahem... managers behind.  Without constant hand-holding from their new sugar daddy (Microsoft), they would alredy be doomed.

Time to lower expectations for a good camera/phone combination for the time being. :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data (hspa)

i bought it in germany from amazon around 4 of june , i guess it was also one phone of the first sales charge ..... maybe in early 808 phones this bug ist existent .... eventually they revised the circuitry in later revisions of pcb . ?????

as i read your mentioned thoughts about sending it back to amazon it was too late ..,..

i already handed phone out to DHL .... :-(((

hopefully amazon will not send me a other device because there is one big problem in germany , THERE IS NO MORE NOKIA CARE POINT. ... concerning their website , i didnt found aany care point .... so what should i do if i got replacement unit with same issue ?????? any ideas ????

EDIT : 

i got back my nokia 808 back finally after sending it via Amazon ticket in Germany to w-support , 

the only one service provider who seems to be authorized in germany for nokia repair.

UNSATISFIED .... they checked my phone , reflash firmware and sended it back to me.

After using my 808 for couple of minutes with 3,5G , internet radio nokia and nokia maps , my phone hangs up in same matter like before ...... :smileysad:((((((

now i sended it back again via Nokia Support Ticket AGAIN to w-Support, with detailed description of 3.5 G Bug and with detailed informations concerning web knowledge............

i ask myself how many times i have to send it in , until it works without any restrictions ????????

Really not satisfied with nokia customer care until now ................

Hope my 808 will be back fixed before christmas .....

regards from germany. .......

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

NBinah wrote:

gvp1995,

Thank you for your updates!

GPS may be run by Nokia's home screen shortcuts such as whether, socials, places nearby, some social, and even in camera (if you set "Save Location Info" = yes..) I know weather shortcut kicks GPS aprox. every 20 min for a few seconds, not sure about others - I use "weather" only and "places nearby" sometime when travel. Suppose if all "location/geocode" shortcuts consumers are in use, then GPS will be "on" a lot of times and dry off the battery very fast.

It should not run constantly, some buggy app does not dispose its gps resources or does not "reuse" existing  "gps" pinging in memory and creates the new instance each "new ping" - the result "memory stack overflow" (memory leak) and restart. (no problem with WP app-s,  refactoring with good tools brings to "using" clause all IDisposable guys + code cleaners show memory leaks :} )

Nokia's guys have to debug and look at how many instances of each object in an app are running after closing its scope. Looks like FP2 problem with disposing staff - http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Belle-FP2-re-released-Any-issue-s-please-post-here/...

Which nokia's service is running on yours? Can you catch up CPU time and memory usage? If you can catch who is memory eater then it is good to point to FP2 problem.

Or, ..."crazy" mode again? o NO!

Update: i just opened camera to look at its settings (my camera set to "Save Location Info"), while was writing this reply, exactly when "weather shortcut" was pinging!....  My N8 restarted silently, he-he buggy apps, probably it is better than buggy hardware :} Also, it was constantly restarting when i visited Seattle and used the phone heavily with  gps consumer app-s.

My problems with 808 were also much worse when I was travelling. First, constant change of towers, second, weak/disappearing-reappearing signal. The worst part is that I could not use GPS when I mostly needed it.

In regards of faulty apps, I am sure there are plenty of them, introducing memory leaks and what not, but some times the phone restarts right in the beginning, when I just open an app. I think OS should have done much better job about it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

hlorri wrote:

gvp1995 wrote:

The phone behaves much much better, ... but it does restart at least once a day.

So it seems there are at least a couple of culprits here - your phone may have needed the capacitor change as well.  Mine did not seem to behave any differently after the repair - but then again, it's fairly predictable when (read: where) it will reboot.  It's not based on "weak" signal per se in my case (the signal strength is actually pretty good in those areas) - but rather, what particular cell towers it's using.

Which leads me to (again) suspect that this is a firmware, not hardware issue.   A couple of data points to support this:

• My Nokia N8 (which I was using before the 808) started having the issue with stale cellular connections (same as the 808 prior to FP2) with the Nokia Belle upgrade.   Before, with S^3 and Anna, it was fine.
  • My 808 ran without any flaws for the first 3 weeks I owned it - its first spurious reboot happened while at a particular beach (strong network signal) on July 22nd.  The rate of these occurrences increased significantly with Belle FP2 (which I installed in mid-September).

Regardless, the incompetence on Nokia's part in identifying and dealing with this issue (to the extent that they ever lift their heads ouf of the sand) is incredulous.    They obviously fired all their competence, leaving only.... ahem... managers behind.  Without constant hand-holding from their new sugar daddy (Microsoft), they would already be doomed.

Time to lower expectations for a good camera/phone combination for the time being. :smileyfrustrated:

See, that's the thing! I believe now that number of culprits > 1 for sure.. Probably many more than that. I had a hardware issue 5800, someone else had a different one (see previous posts). Yes, you are right, there are a lot of indications that hardware is involved, but at the same time often N8 behaves the same way, which probably means the OS problems. When there are multitudes of issues, it is very difficult to reproduce/debug/fix. Nokia is trying to juggle all those things, but they are not very successful at the moment it seems. Actually, I don't believe they will be in terms of Symbian. It looks like too many things went wrong and too few good programmers left on the team...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nok_yuno

[ Edited ]

I received my 3rd 808 yesterday and it's been flawless.  I have not tested the GPS yet, but I will when I drive home for Christmas..  It's from the same batch as my previous one though (26 / 2012), so I'm inclined to think that there's just some terrible QC for the manufacture of these.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

nok_yuno wrote:

I received my 3rd 808 yesterday and it's been flawless.  I have not tested the GPS yet, but I will when I drive home for Christmas..  It's from the same batch as my previous one though (26 / 2012), so I'm inclined to think that there's just some terrible QC for the manufacture of these.

nok_yuno, I really wish you luck with GPS testing, but won't be surprised if you will have the same problem that I am having. Here is what happens. I opened Endomondo and was driving around the city. Every so often (I assume when T-Mobile tower changes???) the GPS stops working. Which makes it unusable. for sports tracking or for tracking your route back when, say, you are hiking. I believe this can be fixed by re-starting the phone, but first, it is annoying, second - defeats the purpose as you lose the previous part of your route. The only one reliable way at this moment to track back your route is in the beginning of the hike open Nokia Maps and save your location. And later open it and say "Walk to...".
This issue was the main problem for me, which made me to send the phone for repair, but it is still there. My next step will be to see if it goes away if I turn off WiFi, T-Mobile internet and switch the phone to off-line mode altogether. If this works, it is still something, if not - there is no use of GPS when you really need it - either in some remote place where there is no phone connection, or abroad when 1MB of data cost $10.
Please use plain text.
OneDaftDuck

I thought I would add to the thread.  Is an update in the works?  I used my 808 with just wifi for the first month or so (needed a microsim) without problems.  Now I have cut my sim and the 808 will reboot pretty frequently.  I think this is a mobile data issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
donomar

Since Nokia didn't contribute a single line to this thread since a while i wouldn't say for shure that an update is imminent ..... :smileysad:

I d happily buy a 808 but without knowing that there will be a firmware update (it seems Nokia denies the problems) i not going to do that ....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

nothing news .... my 808 is still under repair at w-support germany.....

i still use my old nokia N8 and have NO issues with FP1 and 111.401511.

the device Nokia N8 works perfectly in any conditions , and NO reboots .

REMEMBER ! when using own Micro Sim self-.cutted , be aware that there is no shortened contact at sim.

use tape to isolate or go and get original provider micro sim.....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

OneDaftDuck wrote:

I thought I would add to the thread.  Is an update in the works?  I used my 808 with just wifi for the first month or so (needed a microsim) without problems.  Now I have cut my sim and the 808 will reboot pretty frequently.  I think this is a mobile data issue.

I think there are several things going on. For example, yesterday I was testing if I could use GPS reliably in case I use the phone in off-line mode - no calls, no data, nothing. Plus I switched off the WiFi. What do you think? After some time GPS stops working! Had to take out the battery to bring it back. How can one explain this?!

Yes, reboots could probably be attributed to mobile data, but there are many other problems with the phone. Update would be nice, but I remember waiting desperately for FP2, and in the end it did not do anything good.

Contrary to the believe that cutting the SIM card can bring some issues, I was using cut card for about a month or so, then I got a regular one from T-Mobile, and this did not change anything.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pureviewusa

Wonder if theres any correlation between GPS and having wifi on(no need to be connected)

We've seen google maps crash/exit if wifi is not enabled. On a side note, google maps is much better with positioning, it seems to use the cell tower locations better.  ie when GPS is v weak or non-existent, google maps still gives a fairly accurate position. Nokia maps really really needs the GPS to give any kind of location.

Please use plain text.
illl

pureviewusa wrote: ... it seems to use the cell tower locations better. ...

In order to retrieve the cell tower locations the phone needs to be online and access a supl server. As far as I know you can replace supl.nokia.com by supl.google.com or i.e.  lbs.geo.t-mobile.com  or  supl.vodafone.com. Which one is best might depend upon where on the globe you are.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nok_yuno

I've been able to go all week without any 3g issues.
With regards to GPS, I can't get my phone to pin point my location, it only gives my location within 1.5miles or something like that.  It lokcs my position when I go into drive mode, however.  My N8 pinpoints me almost immediately.  I have the same positioning methods set on both.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
navi123

hi guys... Looks like this thread has been dead for a while now... Any updates!!?? Do share... Looks like the new phone/faulty part replacement seems to fix the issue/ minimise the problem!! Correct me if i am wrong....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
LT4mula

It is starting to look like "class action lawsuit" time. I am far from being the sue happy type, but if they cannot even post to tell us anything then this seems to be the last stance to take.

I would be upset if I were one of the engineers of this great phone to watch as Nokia leaves it and it's customers to rot. They obviously don't care, and everyone that bought the 808 was obviously left to just deal with a phone that just shuts off. This is the definition of "ripped off."
Please use plain text.
Contributor
donomar

So very true. And one of the heads behind the technology in this phone already left this company to avoid any further frustration
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Piratepecke

yes , indeed nothing new in this post........

from 17.12.2012 i still wait to get my 808 back from w-support.......

now its 25.12 ... and it seems that i have to wait much longer getting back my Nokia 808 from w-support.

another forum member reiceived an email from w-support in which they wrote something about sending

phone to nokia because of beiing not able to fix problems on their own .....

but i received nothing....

lets see how long it takes at least .......

keep you up dated.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

I received my phone from the Ukrainian care point today. They replaced a transistor (not a capacitor, probably I was mistaken when first talking to them). The repair itself was 60 minutes (I brought the phone in, got it back an hour later) - it only took so long because I live in Germany and could not get support there, but had to wait until may next stay in Ukraine to get the device serviced. Ukrainian 2.5G works fine as before. I will return to Germany mid January, then I will do some heavy 3.5G testing straight away  - there are a lot of weak signal zones on my way from the Airport back home that up to know would always kill the 808. Stay tuned.

I read someone complaining about "System Error". That one has nothing to do with the 3.5G bug. System error indicates your device needs to be reset. A hard reset may or may not resolve the issue; if it doesn't, you have to take the phone back to the Care Point and ask them to have the firmware re-written (re-flashed).

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

my N9 problem

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Anthony7a

its been awhile and I'd Rly like to pick up an 808 soon anyone have any luck with the newer batch of phones or anything at all and also it appears that most ppl didn't have much of a problem before fp1 can someone confirm this
Please use plain text.