Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Bug in 808 3g mobile data?

Counsellor
gvp1995

tf_translate wrote:

My phone had all of these bugs (going blank with keys lit, rebooting, simply going balck) before the repair and none of them after.

You are just lucky you live in Ukraine. Majority of folks on this forum are either in US or in UK. Looks like no hope for us :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pietari

After having read through this thread I just gotta give another solution for the problem. It`s a matter of hardware problem, a faulty capacitor in the radio of 808. Many people having this 3G-bug have been helped by changing a so called "security component" in the motherboard of their device. Waiting for my 808 to arrive from the Service point within a week or two and I`m pretty sure the problem is gone for good after the replacement of this particular component. I don`t know why Nokia haven`t reacted to this known issue, perhaps they think it would be a disaster to be forced to call back most of the 808s delivered, no matter what the batch or IMEI-number is. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pietari

Noticed that the problem in this thread is marked as "solved" but if the solution is to disable HSPA-connection it certainly isn`t solved at all but the bug in the hardware is still there and the problem can really be solved by replacing the faulty component in the phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

It's absolutely not solved.

My new 808 is IMEI 35196505215xxxx and it still crashes if HSPA is enabled, but doesn't crash if it is disabled.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Today I am about to send in 2 Nokia 808 due to restart problems.

The same problem have been on a Nokia 701.

On 2 Nokia 700 this problem have never occured at all.

All these devices running Belle FP2.

I think it is combination of software/hardware and operator problem.

For instance, with the operator Telia in Sweden which runs on Ericsson mainly (almost 100% of the time in Telia own net) and administrate their own net, the problem seems to be none at all after a week on that net. I was using near 5GB transfering music all the time with Nokia Internet Radio. No restarts and actually only 2 drop outs; disconnected stream of music. With operator 3 i would have at least 50 drop outs in this city and of course restarts.

On the other operator 3, which runs their net on mainly Nokia Siemens and their partner Telenor there are much worse problems.

When running around 3 havinng a lot of problems due to Telenor/Tele2(Huawei most now which is obviously **bleep** compared to Ericsson).

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

peterh338 wrote:

It's absolutely not solved.

My new 808 is IMEI 35196505215xxxx and it still crashes if HSPA is enabled, but doesn't crash if it is disabled.

Well, thank you for all your tests, reports and this conclusion. At least I am not sending my 808 (...5050...) now. Will wait closer to the warranty expiration day.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wkl12mr

[ Edited ]

I have just sent in my 808 for Nokia to investigate the right side purple tint issue and possible Maps/Drive issues related to 3G/HSPA. Approaching the Nokia Care Centre was futile. They kept asking me to wait for 1508 and not to read too much into posts here at Nokia Discussion Forums. They said it may be inaccurate being a public forum, what I find here might be untrue because it is unofficial i.e. not from Nokia.

What I found works was to call Nokia Careline and ask them to escalate the issue to the Senior Customer Care Officer or email Nokia Support. I did both.

I hope I have better luck this time. My 808 Serial No. is 3519650500xxxxx new from Nokia, not a motherboard replacement.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pietari

A link with further information. Now is finally time to wake up, Nokia!

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/16255_Nokia_808_35G_connection_issue.php

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

That is an old article - Nov 2012.

Nokia have never said anything about this openly.

And the latest phones also have the issue.

Two specific issues in fact, on mine:

(1) A total crash if HSPA is enabled (very rare though, and impossible to make it happen via transferring any amount of data over HSPA). Disabling HSPA has totally stopped this.

(2) A quiet restart (happens anyway, when I am in a specific location where there is almost no signal). Not an issue really unless it does it during car satnav, which I suspect it won't because then one will be likely using external power.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pietari

Yes, that`s an old one but shows that Nokia is still uncapable to give an official bulletin concerning this major issue in the manufacturing process. Just wonder where`s their quality control or if there`s any in the first place.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

peterh338 the easiest way to get the phone to restart is to be in a low signal area, and then keep the connection busy, uploading seems to be the easiest way to make it crash.. for example turn on auto upload on the skydrive app, take some pics.. and it will crash for sure.

sometimes it just freaks out :smileyhappy: I was sitting in my car last night in an area with spotty signal and the phone restarted twice in 10 minutes.. I think it was trying to fetch an e-mail or something, so I had to swithc to GSM to make it stop restarting.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

vlado3g wrote:

peterh338 the easiest way to get the phone to restart is to be in a low signal area, and then keep the connection busy, uploading seems to be the easiest way to make it crash.. for example turn on auto upload on the skydrive app, take some pics.. and it will crash for sure.

sometimes it just freaks out :smileyhappy: I was sitting in my car last night in an area with spotty signal and the phone restarted twice in 10 minutes.. I think it was trying to fetch an e-mail or something, so I had to swithc to GSM to make it stop restarting.

Completely agree with both of you. This is how it was from the very beginning, and this is how it works on the new ... 5052.... device. So nothing was fixed. We can speculate why but the fact of the matter is that it still does not work. If it is a simple capacitor, then it is a shame. I however suspect some design issue here. We may never know the truth

Please use plain text.
Advisor
davidbt

Hi again. I recieved my new 808 today(returned one was used). It is also a french firmware model on belle fp1 and no updates showing for fp2. Its imei is a 5051 one. Tried today to make it crash but nothing yet on tesco mobile ireland who use o2. Had dualmode and also 3g only with hspa on. Will report back if it does crash etc.
P.s.
Camera and video exceed what i thought. Rich recording is flawless and trumps my note 2 for clarity and bass tones.
Happy so far.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
davidbt

Played around with phone again. Got belle fp2 via ota today. No restarts yet but shall keep testing. Will use my 3 irl sim and post findings.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
davidbt

Update. A few hangs and screen freezes a few times since fp2 update yesterday. No restarts
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I am now totally convinced that the battery voltage plays a big part in this bug.

Today I was driving with Nokia Drive satnav. HSPA disabled as I always have now.

With no external power connected, the phone would crash every few minutes. Sometimes all black, sometimes it would freeze (nonresponsive).

With external power connected, no problems at all.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

[ Edited ]

peterh338 wrote:

I am now totally convinced that the battery voltage plays a big part in this bug.

Today I was driving with Nokia Drive satnav. HSPA disabled as I always have now.

With no external power connected, the phone would crash every few minutes. Sometimes all black, sometimes it would freeze (nonresponsive).

With external power connected, no problems at all.

Thank you. This is good information. As I remember (anyone can scroll through this forum and confirm) there was a member here, who is a hardware engineer if I remember, who suggested the whole theory about the battery being inadequate for the task.

Here is the worst part for me. I can easily live with occasional restarts and freezes. I can even forgive when my phone shows all bars, but there is no connections. But one implication makes me think about switching to a new phone. As a matter of fact I am resolved now wot buy another Pure View (41mp) phone as soon as it is out there. Be it even Windows Phone - I heard rumors Nokia is planning to have one by the end of the year. And this is my biggest problem with 3g bug. I go hiking pretty often and I want to find my way back. For this I use GPS. With my old good N8 I was using SprotsTracker and everything was great. But now SportsTracker does not work with 808; One solution or rather a workaround was to start another GPS app, which will keep SportsTracker alive. And it does work. Sort of. As soon as you get in the area where the signal is intermittent, and this happens very often when you hike, the whole GPS business can get crazy. This happened many times in the past, and it did happen today. In the critical moment I looked at my SportsTracker - 0/0 satellites. Open GPS Toolbox - 0/0. Everything is gone!!! The whole route is gone. The only way to bring it back is to restart the phone, but you lose everything. And this is unacceptable  for me. Yes, I can save my starting position into Nokia Maps. Yes I can use my wife's N8 for back up. But then I ask myself why do I have this phone for?! For pictures? In this case I could have much cheaper alternative. It is a terrible feeling when you know any moment your equipment can let you down.

One other note. I did use my GPS/SportsTracker many times to test and it is always fine when the signal is constant and strong. As soon as I have a week or intermittent signal, GPS is gone! I can only consider this as yet another manifestation of 3g bug.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gvp1995

I was testing the connection speeds with 3g and 3.5g on T-Mobile USA to see if I could live with 3g. Here are the results 3.5g - download_0.38MB/s, upload_0.22. Now 3g - download_0.11, upload_0.10. Both speeds are kind of lousy, not even close to what 3.5g is supposed to be. But still it almost 4 times faster with 3.5g. Anyway, while in HSPDA - disabled mode, the phone restarted! I think the high speed packets may just highlight the problem, which is there anyway. Together with the fact that ...5052... behave the same it makes the whole thing pretty hopeless...

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Here in the UK, with the 808, I get about 300kbits/sec down (3G) and 10x that on HSPA.

Uploads are a fraction of those speeds but also a 10x difference.

HSPA is nice, and essential for streaming video, but I don't need that.

One day I will find a Nokia service shop willing to repair the phone. Currently the UK ones don't even admit to having any data on this. I am sure Nokia sell the 808 via grey importers primarily to ensure that UK customers end up with no warranty so they cannot make a claim.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

There is a "Telephony Update" for the 808, available via Software Updates as of 11th March 2013. It appears to be just bug fixes, but can anyone with a faulty handset report on whether it fixes this issue? As we seem (almost) certain that it is a hardware issue it would maybe too optimistic to think that it will. My handset appears not to have the bug on my network anyway so I can't comment. Further details here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/17041_Telephony_update_for_the_Nokia.php
Please use plain text.