Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C Memory dropping without cause N8 Belle

Advisor
Elastic

After installing Nokia Belle and using it couple of months dropped my N8 C to little bit over 40mb. Couple of weeks ago I did back up for contacts only and after I did a hard reset to my N8. Now the C seems to be stabilized to around 90-100 mb and it is working superbly. So all I can advice is to do back up for contacts and after that *#7370# reset to phone. Atleast it worked for me. Perhaps there was something left from Anna that messed up the C drive.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rollindice

i installed Sofware update of Nokia Public Transit which eats up about 15- 20 mb on C: ,i don't see any ways of uninstalling it

Nothing is as it seems

If I've helped , click the Star under my name

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Public Transport should be removable from Installed Apps, else backup your phone and do a fresh installation of Belle.

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
EricTrader

Try this. In Belle go to Menu then to Files.  Then push and hold the C: Phone Memory and then click on Details

Mine says 7.1 Megabyte Left. When it shows me Memory Details, it shows that 110 MEGABYTES are being used by Messages!!!  Here in lies the problem!!!  However, all of my Emails, and MMS messages are completely clear!!!  How can I have 110 MB of Messages when I have 3 emails in my Inbox and 0 MMS and text messages.

110MB of Messages!! Somewhere.

I am guessing that the phone holds onto Emails and stores them somewhere even when you delete them from the phone. 

Is anybody else seeing the same thing I am???  How do we find this temp folder of cache to delete it!! 

NOKIA is really letting me down.  Been a loyal customer since the Nokia 2110 is this is getting RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Don't you have any Sent emails? If it says messages, then it could be that you sent emails with huge attachments and only cleared the Inbox. Clear sent items as well.

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Sage
Tirza

My N8 Belle has only 29Mb free on C: initially when turned on (only Whatsapp, Kik Messenger, Battery Monitor, Messaging, Data Counter Widget, Mail and Calendar are visible running in background).

After running, free memory on C: drops below 25Mb, but all apps seems to run perfectly. Only downside is, it turned off other running apps when launching Nokia Map or HD games. If it runs out of memory, then N8 would reboot by itself (no pin or security code required on reboot).

I installed all my apps on E:, except Whatsapp and Nokia apps. I already deleted unecessary apps installed on C: (like Sleeping Screen, Shazam, Microsoft , etc). I have no idea what is hogging C: memory, but since all apps works, I just gave up on trying to find where the C: memory evaporates to.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Mine has started dropping as well... When I first installed belle it was well over 300mb. Now it has come down to 290 and I haven't installed anything on C oflate.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm having the same problem. After moving the preimstalled media images to the other memeory, it helped but everynow and then mail saying no memory - any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Mackleinton

I think it might be the private folder. I used Netqin and found this folder wich I can't delete "C>Private>2003486a>drop>extreme north" and it sizes 21 mb, in my C: memory and I can't delete it manually... is there a way to delete files inside private folder and release some memory?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Slion

Same issue after using my Belle N8 for a few weeks while I sent my E7 for repair. I could actually see the free space going down before my eyes.

I don't think I did a reset after the Belle upgrade so maybe that would fix it.

The wasted space must be in one of the private folders so it's impossible to tell which app is responsible unless you get  capability to access AllFiles. None of the public folders appear to contain the wasted disk space.

If this still happens on a clean Belle phone you guys really ought to fix it. It does look like a big major show stopper. I can't believe you let that one slip through QA.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ketanvc

Got some space by removing some unnecessary apps & themes.... Also deleted the mail-box (Gmail). As well as cleared some SMSes & fixed duplicate contact enteries....

Cleared cache with Mobile guard....

But not much....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ketanvc

It doesn't matter whether you have installed apps on E drive (Mass mem) or C drive (Phone Mem)....I saw that uninstalling an app frees up space in both the drives... Move the default wallpapers from c to e. Removing mailbox also gains much remarkable space.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

The private folder holds all the data and info with regard to your installed apps. So fiddling with it may corrupt your apps. Better uninstall apps that you don't use.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
r_garciab2011

I'm having the same problem after I installed Belle. The drop means 20 to 30 mb. I did a fresh install after the first time and again. Yesterday I was at 62 mb, and when I checked, I had 40 mb! No installations or anything of the sort.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kenyaone

I have had this problem for last year. memory down to 28 mb, i wanted install microsoft apps which was 36 mb (available now as download through nokia suite for old gen N8). I used restore factory setting (after backing up pone) and delete data. On restart had 107 mb, installed microsoft apps, down to 86mb then restore all data (phone exctly as was before) and reset all email accounts, running fine now on 34mb. But obviously need this fixed somehow.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MontyUK

I'm sick and tried of this, a smart phone should be smart enough to manage it's own memory. It's one thing after another with this software.

I can honestly say in the 18 months I've had the N8 I'd bet everything worked as it should for no more than 6 months.

6 months to go on the contract and I'm off. (and that's from a die hard Nokia fan boy)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chandreshji

Their is a folder called

c:smileytongue:rivate which eats up 86.57mb space

c:resources 68+mb

check them for loss of space...
hope they help......

Regards: Chandresh Bihani:thumbup::thumbsup:

Please use plain text.
aemjot

[ Edited ]

This bug - or whatever it is - should be known by Nokia guys. But no fix seems to be rolled out and no guiding answers are given by the support team. I'm on Nokia since 1998. In the last few years, I got only unhelpful answers by Nokia support. Sometimes I wondered whether they have seen their own phones. I can't stand this any more. My N8 is my last Nokia phone.

My c: is down to 6,1 MB ones again and continues dropping. All visible folders on c: are empty except for Nokias standards. Caches and apps are set to use e: or for foto and video f:. I CAN'T SEE ANY DELETABLE FILES TO FREE MY MEMORY! So I have to go the hard way again. This is not smart at all.

I see the memory drop since I installed Anna. I bet that Belle fixes it. I was sure that any update of the OS brings the relieve. NOTHING! 

Service: Unavailable or unknowing

Software: Bugy

Public Relations: Boring or arrogant

Nokia, that's why you are fading out of existence. Fix this in your company or even Microsoft can't help you out of this!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

The best thing to do for yourself, and your device, though a bit if not very inconveniencing, is to do a backup of your most important items and re install Belle. Remember NOT to install Apps and all the stuff you don't use. I'm on 55MB, and will NOT install MS Apps, as Quick Office does a much better job.

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

What helped me:
Back-up contacts. Reset to default with full erase. Re-Install belle via Suite. Recover contacts only. Delete apps on drive C like: Adobe reader, install NSR instead on Driver E. Go to Installed apps list, check which are installed on C and delete third party apps you don't use! You can reinstall them frm store to E or find alternatives installable on E. JoikuSpot too by the way! Install X-Plore, search drive C for any "*jpg" and delete them all!

I use MS office myself and my C stable at around 50 mb free. More than that N8 is so smoothly working for pas 4 weeks! No lagging, no freezes at all.
Additionally it is being badly tortured by my kids as I bought 808PV and sacrificed N8 to kids and wife to save my new great 808, but N8 survives well and even gets better. Try above! Don't be afraid to delete apps you don't need. You can always find them in store or Google for them. Internet is full of apps. For video call you can install FRING but not frm store... Search for it at N8 funclub (google for it). Device is nice! Just spend an hour to reflash it and do above described. Should help.
Please use plain text.