Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Caller number shows instead of name on N8

Advisor
darren8
Accepted Solution

Caller number shows instead of name on N8

I've had my N8 for a few days now.  So far, everything seems to be working OK, except-  I believe I somehow changed a setting unintentionally that is causing it to only display the telephone number of anyone who calls or anyone who I call, even if they are in my contacts list.  At first, it did show names of contacts, and I verify this in my history, but in the last 2 days it only shows numbers.  This happens even for people who used to be shown by name.  I don't recall making any changes to a phone setting of that nature, but somehow something changed.  Any suggestions of where to check?  The user guide didn't seem to have any help.  I played with the contact settings but that didn't help.  They are currently set to phone only, rather than phone+sim or sim.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Caller number shows instead of name on N8

If you got the same number saved to several contacts the number will appear insted of the name.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darren8

No duplicates that I can see.  Plus, it affects all contacts I call or who have called me, not just one or two.  Perhaps Ovi Suite or Sync has added copies of all my contacts that are not shown but are still saved somehow, but I can find nothing like that.

On a whim, I took the number from an entry in my log and selected "Save to Contacts" and I "Update Existing" and overwrite the same number that was there.  Then, the calls in the log update and show the name instead of the number.  The problem is, on the next call from the same number, it shows the number again for the new call both at the time of the call and in the log.

I think this has to be a setting somewhere, a problem with sync or a bug of some sort unless someone else has a suggestion.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darren8

Problem temporarily resolved by powering off phone, removing and re-inserting SIM card and powering on again.  Guess I should have tried a power cycle first.  Hopefully it doesn't do this frequently.

Please use plain text.
V_Rod

I have the same issue with mine.  I did a power restart and it didn't work.  I'm going to try resetting the SIM card like you did.  Hopefully it works for me too.  Let me now if you figure anything else out.  I'll do the same.

Please use plain text.
V_Rod

Nope.  I wasn't as lucky.  It didn't work for me.  I think it happened after I did the Sync with OVI.  This stinks since it took me awhile to add all of my contacts from my other phone manually since I didn't have a Nokia to transfer the data with.  I may try to use my daughter's phone to see if that will work since she has a Nokia phone.  If you still happen to find a fix for this, please let me know.  It can't be just us two dealing with this problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Salman734

I am having the same problem in nokia n8.

Coudn't be fixed even after restarting and re inserting sim card.

Has your problem been solved?

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Niall13

I have the same problem! Let me know if there is a fix for this!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

i too am having this same problem,done my own post as didn't find this post until now, hopfully someone will come up with a fix real soon. incidently if it is something to do with the sim i wonder if it has something to do with the provider, i'm with Tmobile

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
FrankieCz

Hi guys,

I have found the bug for this. Today I renamed some contact for example I had John as old contact name and renamed to new JohnN and if John called to me it displayed only the number so I were confused and try to look to here to resolve the problem and that is really that there were the problem in two contacts  with same number.

The bug is that after renaming the contact id didn't changed the contact name, but created second one with all details and different name and didn't delete the old one, so after renaming I had John and JohnN.

So that is the bug, in renaming contacts.

Best

Fanda

Please use plain text.
Contributor

removed sim card as per prviouse poster and fixed problem for now
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nixybabes

Incase none of this works (it didn't for me!) -

After playing about for a long time trying to fix this I have found a makeshift solution!

If the contacts are on your sim then it works fine, if they are on your phone then it doesn't.

This is by no means ideal as you cannot add photo's etc when they are on your sim, but I have now got them on both my phone and my sim, only problem is that when I add new contacts and want full functionality I add them to the phone and then have to go in and copy them over to the sim in order for them to show up when they call/text.

Hope this helps, until Nokia pull their finger out and fix the problem!

:-)

Please use plain text.
SamGha

I have started to see only numbers and no names (though available in my phone address book). This issue is seen happening in my dialled, received, missed calls and while receiving calls. Infact I also do not see the contact picture while receiving the call though the picture exists in the address book. Additionally the assigned ringtone specific to the contact is also not activated but the theme based ringtone is heard.

I have tried the following:

- Rebooted the phone numerous times.

- Removed the SIM and reinserted the same numerous times.

- Searched for duplicates (none exist)

Finally I realised my problem had started when I synched my contacts yesterday with OVI suite contacts.

Hence in addition to the above steps I also did the following:

- Deleted all the contacts from my phone.

- Deleted all the contacts from the OVI suite.

- Restored my contacts from the backup I had last taken (fortunately just day before).

Even after doing all of this I have not been able to rectify the original problem.

I have no idea now what to do.

Best regards,

Sam.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
licky52

I found this happened after I sync my contacts with OVI.......... the only solution for me was to delete all contacts from phone and from sim (after making a backup of course) and re-entering them into the phone......... now it is restored as before

Please use plain text.