Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Camera quality has dropped after belle update ...

Advisor
euphoric

Camera quality has dropped after belle update on my n8

The image quality has dropped significantly on my n8 after the belle update. The auto focus is not as precise as it was with anna. I am surprised no one has reported this matter. On a discussion on beta labs D.Dinning said that there's no need to install the previously released camera update for n8 after updating to belle. I am confused now. Please help.

Please use plain text.
axemanxx

Re: Camera quality has dropped after belle update on my n8

You are right completely. I have not like this update call ''BELLE''. The camera's autofocus function doesn't work as well as Anna. In the dark scene image has to much grainfull and so noisy. This BELLE has a bigbattery life problem. I'd not appreciate this.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

I've heard this from several places now. Does anyone have two N8 phones(one anna, one belle) so that we could do a side by side comparison. I hope they did that while they were developing Belle... 

I asked Damian on twitter about it, and he said there shouldn't be a difference, but maybe they missed something. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
euphoric

Hi axemanxx
You have correctly pointed out the much grainy images in low light. I have not compared the video quality yet. But i am not too optimistic about it either.
Since i bought n8 primarily for it's camera, i am not satisfied at all with this update.
And I am not facing any battery problems with belle.
Nokia people are not acknowledging the problem with camera quality on n8 and neither there are enough people complaining about it.
I guess it will take huge time for them to bring a camera update for n8(if they do). Otherwise i'll have no choice but to revert back to anna.
Hey D.Dinning, please acknowledge this problem. It's genuine.
And please promise a quick update. Or else where do the proud owners of n8 (the best camera phone in the world) now stand?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
euphoric

Hey vlado3g
Where else have you heard about the same problem?
If you have an n8, you can clearly see the out of focus images it clicks now. After clicking loads of pics through my n8, i can clearly tell that it no longer clicks razor sharp pictures.
I am not present on twitter. i guess you should once again ping Dinning about the problem. Hope he helps.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

@euphoric  I've seen complaints on several message boards. Mainly on http://forum.dailymobile.se ..

I did tweet Dinning about it, and here what he said

http://i.imgur.com/m6FCA.jpg

I feel like he might not be involved with the N8 anymore, I don't think he would allow anything like this to happen if he was.

And yes, I do have an N8, and I could see a difference in the way it focuses.. Landscape mode seems to be working fine, but in auto mode things are a little off. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jasonteh

[ Edited ]

I totally agree since updated the belle camera quality degraded.

here my samples from anna

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/collections/72157626524215802/

here from the official belle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/sets/72157629241409789/detail/

here from the leak belle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenokiagallery/sets/72157627565963049/detail/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It would be easier for us to see the difference if you had taken the same exact picture so that we could look at them side by side

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

Yes, the easiest way is for some one to do a side by side with pr 1.x/Anna against a Belle phone, and it will be clear, and we would be able to kind of see how big the issue is overall. Hopefully someone has two phones :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

I also noticed on upgrading from Anna to Belle that the image quality on my phone has decreased.

I originally thought that it was just me being overly critical and seeing something that wasn't there, however it is reassuring that other people have picked up on this.

Perhaps someone from Nokia could help to explain the reason for this?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
seductive

Damn, should I be concerned about that !? Cuz I realy loved the quality of the pictures I have taken so far...

It would be nice if someone who has at least to N8s to take pictures of somethiing from the exact same position, at the exact same time, with the same light etc. with phone standing still so no movement could compromise the image quality and I think that a landscape would do just fine as there are more details to compare, and some night taken photos for comparison:smileywink:

I haven't updated cuz belle isn't available for my device, but from what I read so far I'm starting to think that staying on Anna is the best thing to do !

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I've seen that the focus in low light it's a bit hard to obtain but I never considered this a big problem... cause most of the pictures I take in daylight. But if it is like you said... then we must prove that this is real, since we bought the phone for the excellent camera. Since my girl did not want to upgrade to Belle (didn't have the nerve to learn again the layout, reconfigure shortcuts...) I can do photo tests with Anna and Belle.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

@lbanias please do.. it will be greatly appreciated! Maybe one-two landscape, one macro... and maybe one night shot.. that will cover a lot. 

And I agree, the camera performance is the main strenght of the N8, taka that away... no bueno. 

I am going to try and see what camera pro can do, but... it has an annoying bug where it locks the exposure every time you focus, and then you have to restart the app, so it isn't a solution already  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
stylinred

the initial reports of lower image quality was from the unofficial Belle leaks and custom firmwares there've been no complaints about the official release
Please use plain text.
Advisor
euphoric

@vlago3g Thanks for the links. You are right about the landscape vs auto mode. I cross checked it and found the same results.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
euphoric

@jasonteh Unbelievable collection that you have.
Are you a professional? Guess then nokia will have to take your word about the bug...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
euphoric

@lbanias Your help will be greatly appreciated in this discussion. Please do it as soon as you can.
As far as i have noted the main problem is in auto focus of an object about 3-5 feet away from the camera and grainier stills in low light.
You'll have to be very careful in bringing the parameters same for both the phones. I mean the cameras has to as still as possible and remember to clean the glass before lens.
Waiting for the results......
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

@stylinred

It didn't change much after the official update.. very similar to what it used to be with the leaks. Hopefully they can update the camera app, and that will fix it..  

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the Camera quality dropping after belle, is it a bad auto ISO causing the grain?

Please could you take some shots in Manual mode at the closest and furthest zoom ranges and share them here, so that I can compare the quality?

Sheldrick 

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I played a bit with 2 N8 , one Anna and one Belle and I uploaded the shots on http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/74205206/file.html . The Anna N8 is 025.007 product code 059d9d9 and Belle is 111.030.0609 product code 059d7k4 First thing I noticed was that Belle gives a yellowish tone in low light, but as far as noise concern it seems that there are no great differences. The shots with the books are the only one that are made from a steady position and with touch autofocus, since the form of the phone did not allow me to find a way to fix it in some position. It will be better to compare photos with a tool like ACDSee to show the EXIF data. Overall both phones used more or less the same exposure, ISO, shutter and aperture values. The differences may come from the positioning when changing the phone.
Please use plain text.