Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can I import contacts into phone from an Excel fil...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Can I import contacts into phone from an Excel file? (N97 Mini)

I have an N97 Mini. And I have an Excel file on my computer which lists my contacts. In separate columns I have their first names, last names, phone numbers, email addresses.I would like to import this file into my phone's contacts in one go, i.e. without having to enter each person manually. Does anyone know how this can be done?

(Also, in another folder I have a profile photograph of each contact. Is there some way I could also - in one go - add a profile picture to each contact in my phone's contacts?) 

FYI: I have Ovi Suite and PC Suite installed on my computer, but it's not clear whether they could help with this. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: Can I import contacts into phone from an Excel file? (N97 Mini)

Hi, I do not believe it is possible to do what you want with any mobile phone system , but I could be wrong ! However what I would recommend, is to use the sim from your previous phone (assuming you have it) and transfer all your contacts on that to your N97. Then I would recomend using Ovi Suite to edit contacts individually, you can add multiple phone numbers and email addresses, and also add photo's to contacts. Sync contacts after editing and they will all be amended on your phone.

Just one other point, when you have finished, make sure you don't have muliple entries attached to the same number, or you won't get caller id, and also select, phone memory and not sim for number in use. Also, in messaging, select options/other/memory in use/ E:mass memory. Hope this is of some help

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi carman58,

Thanks. 

1. I've already imported all contacts, calendar entries etc. on my old Nokia into the new phone using Ovi/PC Suite. It was easier/quicker than swapping SIMs. No issue here. 

2. But I have about 100-200 contacts in my Gmail and on an Excel file who are NOT yet in my phone system. I've managed to get the Gmail ones into the same Excel file (which I can easily convert to .csv format). So now I'm looking for a quick, one-shot solution to finally uploading the Excel contacts into my phone. I definitely do not want to do it manually, i.e. one-by-one. Life's too short! So the key question for me is: Is there some way to get Ovi/PC Suite to accept contacts from an Excel/CSV file and then synchronise with the handset? That would be cool. It's such an obvious thing that I can't believe neither Ovi Suite nor PC suite offer an option to upload or synchronise with an external contacts file. (They only allow synchronisation with MS Outlook, but I don't use Outlook and don't want to have to set it up from scratch. It's a huge unwieldy beast...)

3. (a) I'm aware of the multiple entries problem and have avoided that by always adding multiple numbers to the same contact when appropriate rather than creating multiple same names. (b) Yup, always use the phone's mass memory rather than the SIM for contacts, calendar etc.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Sorry but I really don't think it's possible, the only thing that may save you a little time is copy and paste to Ovi suite, but unfortunately it's still going to be laborious ! Hope someone can prove me wrong for your sake. And good luck anyway

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The standard 5800 cannot receive attachments from an excel spreadsheet.  You need to install "Quickoffice".  Make sure you install the version intended for the 5800
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

If you have a computer with Outlook, you can import from Excel into Outlook and then sync your N97 with Outlook.

If you know how to write VBA macros, then you can write one to export your contacts to VCard format. Just google Excel vcard

If you have google account you can save excel as CSV file, import into google contacts and then use Google sync to sync to your phone.

Message Edited by jacobsladder on 07-Dec-2009 11:26 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage

There is a way!

Use some 3rd party apps (eg. Pleex) which allows you to backup your contacts on web from your phone.

Once your contacts are on web, you can edit them normally.

I believe the reverse is also true. You upload your contacts on those sites and restore to your phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

I assume you've tried File->Import in the Contacts part of Nokia PC Suite? I've used File->Export to create a spreadsheet of contacts but never imported them.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Sockatume, yes, that's an approach. Just discovered that Google has an app called Sync to help sync your Gmail contacts and calendar events with your Nokia phone and vice-versa: http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=nokia_smart

So if I get Gmail to read in/upload all my Excel contacts through a .csv file, I should be able to get them all into my phone through Sync. Fingers crossed.

Hope that helps someone else too.

Message Edited by SDP_2009 on 09-Dec-2009 03:58 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor

It it works the please don't forget to Accept the solution and if feeling really generous then share some Kudos ;-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Sorry, jacobsladder, kudos given! When I read your earlier post, I didn't understand the last para because I wasn't aware there's an app called Google Sync. I just discovered it today. Now I see that you had the same idea! Many thanks, again.
Please use plain text.
marbert1935

Myself too have a N97 mini. I have a file in my computer in CSV format. How I can sincronize those data from the computer to the phone?.I got  OVI software with phone and there's not this function. With OVI software you can sincronize only numbers that you write but not those you have on the computer. Please give me help

Please use plain text.
KVxx

I got a Nokia Nuron 5230 3 days ago - upgraded from Razr v3.  I had the task of exporting 100+ contacts from Razr into Nuron and could finally figure out the steps on my Windows 7 PC. I spent two nights googling and spent 8+ hours looking for a solution - didn't have Outlook on my home PC and also didn't want numerous sharewares cluttering my PC.

1. Exported contacts from Razr using MPT into a csv file (any excel contact list would work - once converted to csv with a proper header line)

2. Imported the csv file into Windows contacts using wab.exe (Windows 7/Vista) - you can change maping fields during import - after import all my Razr contacts came under Windows Contacts.  Refer wiki on wab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Contacts#Example_Windows_Contact_file 

3. Started Ovi Suite and connected usb to phone - synchronizing even within PC not enabled until you connect the usb cable from PC to phone

4. In Ovi, under Sync options, (ignore device sync, I did that later) chose Contacts and chose Sync with contacts applications -> got radio button turned on for Windows Contacts

5. In Ovi, clicked Sync now and voila, the Windows Contacts got imported and appeared under Ovi

6. In Ovi, under Sync options, I chose Device sync and ticked Contacts and went back and did Sync now -> this time Contacts from Ovi got transferred to Nuron and got all my Razr Contacts transferred!

Hope this helps prevent others from burning midnight oil.

Please use plain text.
MrDeeSA

It took me a week and lots of research to find the way.

I Exported all my contacts to .CSV and opened it in Excel 2007 to edit .. after saving it from Excel, I was stuffed ($%^%$%ed) as I deleted the old contacts from my phone. PCSuite refused to import the Excel created .CSV file. (It Told me to check file format)

So now I imported my 2500 Contacts in Excel via PC-Suite and this is how:

1. After Editing in Excel, you will have to get everything into one column. (Assuming you did "Text to Columns")
  2. Each Column's text MUST start with " and end with " separated by comma. You will notice that Excel removes the first " for the Title field, so add it in so that it shows "Title". 
  3. All Titles in each contact must have "" around the text, (e.g."Dr" ) if the field is empty, then ""
  4. I created an empty column in A and put "" in all the contacts. I then used =Concatenate(A1,A2) to create one column with the "", and then the rest.
  5. Now copy and paste special - paste as Values (to remove the formula) into a new column.
  6. Now copy the new Column top to end of contacts.
Your contacts are now ready ..It starts with "" in each field and each field has a , to separate from the previous field .. "Title","First name","Middle name","Last name",......... and the contacts in the same format.

Assuming your phone has NO contacts, just create a new contact in PCSuite or on Phone. Else, just select all the contacts and Export in PCSuite to a .CSV file. Say MYCONTACTS.CSV

Now use a proper text editor to open it. NOT EXCEL I used a Free Trail of ULTRAEDIT .. Download free here http://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/ultraedit_download.html

• After opening the MYCONTACTS.CSV File, just paste the contacts from Excel to the bottom of the MYCONTACTS.CSV file. 
  • Make sure that your format is the same as per the MYCONTACTS.CSV file
  • Delete the Headers (field names) row as was copied form Excel
  • Save (Not save as)
  • In PCSUITE, delete the old contacts (Assuming you exported it to MYCONTACTS.CSV)
  • Now use PCSUITE IMPORT to import the contacts from MYCONTACTS.CSV.
  • Whalla
I really hope this helps a few people, because Nokia told me it is Impossible to Import an Excel file to PCSUITE and ignored my question about the format that the file should be in .. SO GET THIS NOKIA

Please use plain text.
smsmforyou

[ Edited ]

hello people , i just try amaaaaaaazing way , and easy way ever

first :

convert your EXCEL file ( xlsx to xls ) old EXCEL version 2003

then

select all fields you want to sync. with outlook ( i mean dont select by columns ) just indes fields

then go to Formulas tab ( ribbon ) --> defiend name section and click on ( Define Name )

then write ( contacts ) in the name field , then save EXCEL file

open outlook then open file menu ---> go to OPEN section then choose IMPORT

the choose ( import from another program or file)

and select EXCEL file then choose contact section on outllook to sync.

then map it , then NEXT ...

finally you will have all contacts in your outlook , then open Nokia Ovi Suite  , then go to tools --> option --> contacts section --> sync with contacts application

and choose ( Microsoft outlook ) then press OK 

finally press sync. button in main contacts section  , and working ..................... :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.