Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can N8 play .srt (subtitle) files?

Counsellor
arislgr
Accepted Solution

Can N8 play .srt (subtitle) files?

With my media player, I can bring up .srt (subtitle files) to watch them along with .avi movies. Can I do this with N8?   

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Nope. N8 doesn't support subtitles at all. We need to wait for 3rd party solution. Pretty sure it's just a matter of time.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

I see, we need to wait till VLC or another video player comes out for our Symbian 3  N8. They should also provide zoom capability, because many movies need adjustmenting the screen on the TV.

THANKS!

Please use plain text.
Sage
joppek

[ Edited ]

in the meantime you could add hardcoded subs to your videos if you really need to - a quick google gave me this: http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

oh and you never know if nokia themselves will update the video player with pr2 - might not need to wait for a 3rd party app

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

Smartmovie player for symbian supports subtitles.
Its available for s60v5 and s60v3.
Not sure about s^3.
You can check at http://lonelycatgames.com
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

joppek wrote:

in the meantime you could add hardcoded subs to your videos if you really need to - a quick google gave me this: http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

oh and you never know if nokia themselves will update the video player with pr2 - might not need to wait for a 3rd party app

AviAddXsubs is not for hardcoding subtitles. It's remuxing .avi to .divx container with subtitle stream. It's fully playable on devices with DivX Certification (PS3, DVD players). N8 will play .divx but won't show subtitles.

If you want to burn subtitles, you need to re-encode the file which missess the purpose IMO.

SmartMovie plays subtitles from external file but I don't think it's been updated for S^3 yet.

Please use plain text.
Sage
joppek

[ Edited ]

my mistake

anyway, how is re-encoding with hardcoded subs missing the purpose? isn't the purpose in this case "to play video with subtitles"... that's exactly what doing that would accomplish

sure it's slow and cumbersome, but it seems to be the only way as of now to do this

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

I meant 'it missess the purpose when the phone plays almost all formats out-of-the-box without re-encoding' :smileyhappy:. But yes, reason may justify the means in this case.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

Thanks for the info guys, even though I dont understand all the tech details you  mentioned.

I don’t think I could learn or have the patience for  ‘hardcoding’ subtitles into movies, I just put the .avi and the .srt files in the same folder and most movie/media players will play the movie with  the subtitles.  

Till  the N8 does this, I went  to  the SmartMovie site (thanks  romperompe!) and the software is listed compatible for Symbian 3 and the N8 in particular. Here it is http://lonelycatgames.com/?app=smartmovie&page=download&platform=symbian

I installed it on my N8 without a problem, (it seems to be on a trial basis)  and it plays my .avi files, even though  the version dates back from  2009. More so it does have a configuration to load  subtitles  and it lists a few coding types, Western, Cyrilic, Central European, even Greek!

That’s the good news, the bad news is I cant make it display the  .srt  files on the screen .........pity, that was close enough, maybe I’m doing something wrong, so  I plan to email their support about this.

So the bottom line is that yes, as you guys mention, soon another loadable player should  resolve the subtitles issue, or maybe Nokia will do this first!! Lets hope so, for me the N8 is the very best Nokia ever!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

[ Edited ]

Try MicroDVD (.sub or .txt) format for subtitles. It's the most popular AFAIK.

Maybe SmartMovie doesn't support SubRip (.srt)?

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

I think smartmovie only supports .txt subtitles!!
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

I found help for SmartMovie,  but it can only play .sub subtitles. It comes with a Converter software that can  'hardcode'(?) .srt  files, but the video quality that came out was really bad.

There are .sub to .srt converters but that means more hassle ....

I guess we wait till Nokia or a 3d party resolves the issue with .srt  files, they are by far the easiest to find. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

arislgr wrote:

I see, we need to wait till VLC or another video player comes out for our Symbian 3  N8. They should also provide zoom capability, because many movies need adjustmenting the screen on the TV.

THANKS!

the standard player provides the standard zoom functions, strech to width, etc.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arislgr

flagpole wrote:

arislgr wrote:

THANKS!

the standard player provides the standard zoom functions, strech to width, etc.

Thanks falgpole ! Got it now, somehow this option was not visible on some clips, but now I see it on my movies.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
d7e7r7

So we have to wait and see if they implement this in a firmware update or wait until a 3rd party group makes an app that does this?

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

arislgr wrote:

Thanks falgpole ! Got it now, somehow this option was not visible on some clips, but now I see it on my movies.

no problem it is kinda hard to see. and then work out what it does.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

d7e7r7 wrote:

So we have to wait and see if they implement this in a firmware update or wait until a 3rd party group makes an app that does this?

Most companies realise that this is an accessibility issue and that they can get themselves in to all sorts of problems regarding discrimination if they don't sort it out.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rolfsnolf

so basicly this one isnt really solved

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

it is not solved. a workaround is to render the subs into the video file using something like mediacoder
Please use plain text.
Sage
joppek

it's solved in the sense that the question has been answered - the answer is there's no solution to the problem :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.