Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Can a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet link with a So...

Counsellor

Can a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet link with a Sony Ericson K750i as a Modem?

Can a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet link with a Sony Ericson K750i as a Modem?
Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: Can a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet link with a Sony Ericson K750i as a Modem?

SE says that the K750i has dialup modem support, and that is what you need. Not clear though if it is supported over bluetooth. You need to check that it has DUN profile.

Do you already have the 750i and are thinking about buying the 770 or the otherway round?

If you have a laptop + Bluetooth and the 750i then you can check if it has DUN (and that it works) before getting the 770.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Actually I work for Nokia Retail and it's something a customer has just asked - I said I'd find out for him, but no-one seems to know why it doesn't work, the best we can figure is that because it's a SE handset it wont sync with the Nokia Tablet.

...and I have no idea about DUN.
Please use plain text.
Professor

DUN - Dial up networking, is a bluetooth profile, and it allows the phone to be used as a modem to some other device, eg laptop. In theory at least the N770 should be able to communicate via bluetooth to the K750i. I'm getting into slightly guessing teritory here, but some bells ring about the tablet sending *99# command, which opens up a packet connnection to the network. It maybe that there is some additional configuration needed in the phone.
Please use plain text.
Professor

Did a little more digging and found that quite few people have problems getting this phone to do dialup with anything other than a laptop and SEs own software.

reason is that SE use some funny command structure, instead of *99# they use *99***1#

The number 1 there is important, it is the internet profile to use for the dialup, there will probably be several settings in

Menu->Settings->Connectivity-> Internet Settings -> Internet Profiles ->
In the phone, and so the number will need to match the one that is configured for Internet access (and not Wap or MMS)

Also the N770 will need to be configured to send *99***x# (change the x to the number of the connection). I have never used the 770, but looking at the user guide you need to go to

Control panel > Control panel > Tools > Mobile operator setup wizard

Create a connection as described on page 27 of the user guide, the settings will be network operator dependent, but the key thing will be to configure the Dial-Up number to be *99***x#
Please use plain text.